No carb?

Options
This is my first day tracking my food on my fitness pal. Whenever I've dieted before I've always gone no sugar no carb, this time I'm trying to stick to 1200 calories a day but make an actual life style change instead of just dieting until I can't take it anymore and I fall off the band wagon. So my question is when you track calories do you eat no carb as well or would you eat something that has carbs but is low cal? For example I saw a recipe for a ww wheat wrap made into a "pizza" but I'm nervous that eating carbs will infringe in my chances of losing weight even if I'm counting calories....

Replies

• richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to do zero carb. In fact, I don't even think that is possible, as veggies have carbs. You're not planning on cutting out vegetables are you?

Even bread, rice and pasta can be eaten on a weight loss program. Just watch how many you eat, and log them! These tend to be calorie high foods, so you might do well to limit them (portion control!), but don't set yourself up for failure by trying to eliminate any one food group totally. You'll have a very hard time doing that.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    As an insulin resistant person, low to no carb dieting is beneficial to me. Simply doing low calorie is not helpful for me so I eat lower carb (target is under 20% of calories from carbohydrates) and high fat (55-65%) and moderate protein (25-30%).

If you can fit the low-cal pizza thing in, then do it. Just watch whatever carbs you consume during the rest of the day.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason to do zero carb. In fact, I don't even think that is possible, as veggies have carbs. You're not planning on cutting out vegetables are you?
    Well, there's no GOOD reason to do zero carb. Being stranded on a Chilean mountain peak would obviously be an exception. :smile: But otherwise, even ketogenic dieters like myself eat some carbohydrate - mostly for the nutrients/fiber/antioxidants it contains.
    Even bread, rice and pasta can be eaten on a weight loss program.
    Unless you're diabetic or insulin-resistant due to metabolic-syndrome, pre-diabetes, PCOS, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, etc., then those high-carb items should be severely restricted or eliminated.
    Just watch how many you eat, and log them! These tend to be calorie high foods, so you might do well to limit them (portion control!), but don't set yourself up for failure by trying to eliminate any one food group totally. You'll have a very hard time doing that.
    On this I totally agree. I'm a severe type II diabetic with limited insulin production, thus my reason to eat a very low-carb ketogenic diet. Unless you have a legitimate medical reason to do so, cutting calories and eating a healthy macronutrient ratio to support your chosen activities will result in very similar weight-loss to low-carb dieting, even zero-carb dieting.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    Sorry I meant white flour useless carbs not the veggie carbs . But what about whole wheat pasta or the like? Isn't it better not to eat any of that and rather fill up on proteins fruits and veggies ?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No macros are bad. Begin by focusing your diet on whole food sources and avoid processing foods. Log everything accurately and you will be fine. Put your settings to 1 lb per week and eat back most of your exercise calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Eating a low-calorie diet, you'll find it's really hard to get enough fat and protein if you eat a lot of pure carbs like pasta and white rice. They're totally fine to eat, just make sure they fit your macros.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    Sorry I meant white flour useless carbs not the veggie carbs . But what about whole wheat pasta or the like? Isn't it better not to eat any of that and rather fill up on proteins fruits and veggies ?
    Fill up on fat and proteins, yes.

"Whole Wheat" pasta is still made from dough, and, as such is technically a refined/processed food.

Also note there's a difference between "whole wheat" and "whole grain" when it comes to pasta and bread. Whole grain has more nutrients and is usually less-refined.

It may have more nutrients naturally than white pasta (which must be 'fortified'), but it's still an extremely carbohydrate-dense (not to mention caloric-dense) food item.

Filling up on "fruit" isn't the best idea either, as most of it has a higher glycemic index than pasta, which, depending on your glucose-metabolism could result in spikes and drops in both glucose and insulin which often results in hunger cravings.

From a metabolic standpoint (if that's why you're reducing carbs) non-starchy vegetables are superior to fruit. The best choices of fruit for those going lower-carb for metabolic reasons are berries and cherries.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    If you don't have blood sugar issues, or some sort of metabolic disturbance that has been diagnosed by your doctor, then eat as many carbs as fit your macros. It's wise to cut back on the refined carbs, and favour fruits and veggies instead...but I think your original question was whether or not it's necessary to severely limit carbs in order to lose weight. The answer is no, providing you haven't been diagnosed with a metabolic condition.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I say especially in the beginning not to worry about it but just follow what mfp has for you for your calories. Good Luck!!
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I will asume you are not stuck on a remote mountain top somewhere, as you obviously have internet access... ;-)

Cut down on the white type of carbs as much as possible, yes. Replace them with whole wheat if you like. But weight loss is simply math: Eat a reasonable deficit, and you will lose weight. If you want "real" pizza, eat it if it fits (but log it). You can still lose weight.

As far as weight loss goes: Carbs are not the enemy here; Fat is not the enemy; Protein is not the enemy. Excess calories are.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Stick between 50-100g a day for carbs. If not, your body will start taking other things in your body to do the job carbs have which is hazardous to your body. I easily eat that range of carbs a day, but I would limit to below 130 a day. Excess is also not good unless you do a lot of running or cardio daily.

Without carbs, working out may become very difficult.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    BTW it would help people better answer the question if we knew WHY you were looking at a reduced-carbohydrate (don't do zero-carb, there's really no reason) diet.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, if you're healthy from a metabolic standpoint, and get healthy ratios of fat (and no, fat's not necessarily bad) and protein... your carbohydrate source can be fairly varied.

But, if a decision to carb-restrict is for medical reasons, then that's a different issue.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Well, I will asume you are not stuck on a remote mountain top somewhere, as you obviously have internet access... ;-)

Cut down on the white type of carbs as much as possible, yes. Replace them with whole wheat if you like. But weight loss is simply math: Eat a reasonable deficit, and you will lose weight. If you want "real" pizza, eat it if it fits (but log it). You can still lose weight.

As far as weight loss goes: Carbs are not the enemy here; Fat is not the enemy; Protein is not the enemy. Excess calories are.

Well they're all enemies in excess and deficit. There are good calories and bad calories remember.
  • albertabeefy
    Options
    logic.jpg
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Stick between 50-100g a day for carbs. If not, your body will start taking other things in your body to do the job carbs have which is hazardous to your body. I easily eat that range of carbs a day, but I would limit to below 130 a day. Excess is also not good unless you do a lot of running or cardio daily.

Without carbs, working out may become very difficult.

What?
  • TristaD611
    TristaD611 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Of course, fill up on lots of veggies and fruit! As long as you stay within your calorie ranges you should be fine. Limiting your processed carbs and sugars is the way to go, but whole grains are good and should be allowed.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I've been doing low carbs for the past 3 days (I have PCOS) and in those 3 days I've lost three pounds, so for some people it is, in fact, very beneficial and sometimes necessary to be healthy. But if you're not dealing with a insulin issue, I'm pretty sure it won't be needed. It all depends, as you get custom to hearing on these forums, everyone is different. Just have to experiment and see what works for you.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Carbs need to be watched and the right ones need to be eaten, but you need a certain percent in you to help you function, espeically for hard workouts
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    I'm super new to losing weight the correct way. I was never overweight and now that i am I did a "quick fix" the hcg diet and have gained most of it back and i did the dukan diet and lost 4 lbs and that was it so now I want to change my lifestyle of eating and lose weight correctly and in a way that will keep it off. I have no medical issues other than being hypothyroid, I have hashimotos disease, and I'm deficient in vit d but I take a supplement for that. The reason why I'm scared of carbs from wheat etc is because on hcg you barely eat anything and then when you are done you are not allowed any carbs besides for certain veggies and on the Dukan diet it's only veggies and protein. So in my mind weight loss is centered all around the limit of those foods. Obviously if I'm making a life change I'll need to learn how to incorporate it and what is ok to eat.

Now ppl keep referring to macros like I said I'm new to this so what exacts is macros?
    Thank you for all of your informative answers
    BTW it would help people better answer the question if we knew WHY you were looking at a reduced-carbohydrate (don't do zero-carb, there's really no reason) diet.

As has been mentioned repeatedly, if you're healthy from a metabolic standpoint, and get healthy ratios of fat (and no, fat's not necessarily bad) and protein... your carbohydrate source can be fairly varied.

But, if a decision to carb-restrict is for medical reasons, then that's a different issue.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    You're funny :) nope not on a remote mountain top. Not a remote anywhere, I'm right near new York city! Lol