Scared to try new machine

Options
Hi there! I have been working out and eating more carefully for 1 month and 2 days. While I lost 22 lbs and 12.2" in that time, I have not made my legs any stronger. I am disappointed that in spite of losing the equivalent to 2 medium watermelons I still must lean on the wall when going up the stairs in my house. Sometimes going one foot; bring the other up to meet it; then up one more foot; then the other up to meet that. I also pull myself up the stairs outside the front door by grabbing the outside of the storm door after it has swung open.

I have been using the treadmill at the gym on a 4 - 5 degree incline and I feel it's time to change. I do not feel that my legs are any stronger now than they were a month ago.

I would like to try the stair stepper but I am afraid of getting tired and not being able to stay on long. With the treadmill, or the elliptical I have at home, I can adjust the workout to make it slightly easier if I have a cold or a headache etc. I do not know if I can do that with the stair stepper.

I need some encouragement and reassurance that I can do this. Thanks!

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Stepper you mean like the one with the two foot panels that you move your feet up and down in a vertical plane?
    like this?
    nordic-track-mtn-740-stepper.jpg

You can set the resistance on those so that you have plenty of time to take each step, dont be intimidated by people using them at a fast pace, and even if you have it set too high, worst that happens is that you sink to the bottom.. where you simply step back up to the top anyway :P ask someone at your gym for help if you are worried I'm sure you will be fine!
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean. :) I'm so relieved I can set the resistance! Thank you thank you!! I have been afraid to ask questions of the employees at the gym because my husband is the one with the membership and I go as his "guest." I'll bet, though, that they don't want anyone getting hurt so I'm sure they will help me. Thanks, Toni! And congratulations on your weight loss and fitness!
  • upgetupgetup
    upgetupgetup Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    The machine's a little tricky, but is actually easier than regular stairs once you get the hang of it, because real stairs don't move, and you have to pull more of your weight up a further distance.

You might get more out of just starting with your stairs at home, plus you might feel more in control. You could try not touching the rail, and take as long as you like.

(Any chance your stairs have a weird slope, though? A friend of mine has stairs like that. It almost feels like you have to lean back as you go up.)
  • DDCNY
    Options
    I'm hoping the machine won't be as tough as the stairs at home. :( When I first wake up I can go up and down them a few times without touching the wall but as the day wears on I need to lean. My front stairs to enter the house are very steep. I feel like I might want to add a piece of flagstone to each stair plus one on the stoop so that there are 4 smaller stairs instead of 3 big ones. But, I decided I should change me instead of the stairs... LOL

No weird slope. Leaning back? That does sound very weird!
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have been working out and eating more carefully for 1 month and 2 days. While I lost 22 lbs and 12.2" in that time, I have not made my legs any stronger. I am disappointed that in spite of losing the equivalent to 2 medium watermelons I still must lean on the wall when going up the stairs in my house. Sometimes going one foot; bring the other up to meet it; then up one more foot; then the other up to meet that. I also pull myself up the stairs outside the front door by grabbing the outside of the storm door after it has swung open.

I have been using the treadmill at the gym on a 4 - 5 degree incline and I feel it's time to change. I do not feel that my legs are any stronger now than they were a month ago.

I would like to try the stair stepper but I am afraid of getting tired and not being able to stay on long. With the treadmill, or the elliptical I have at home, I can adjust the workout to make it slightly easier if I have a cold or a headache etc. I do not know if I can do that with the stair stepper.

I need some encouragement and reassurance that I can do this. Thanks!

When I started the eliptical I lasted a whole two minutes now I'm up to 10 minutes. Don't worry about not being able to do it or stay on long. Any time on it is better than not doing it at all.

I know you can do it.
  • DDCNY
    Options
    When I started the elliptical I lasted a whole two minutes now I'm up to 10 minutes. Don't worry about not being able to do it or stay on long. Any time on it is better than not doing it at all.

I know you can do it.

Thank you so much, Jade! That is very encouraging!
  • cmnold
    cmnold Posts: 11
    Options
    I saw someone using a machine at the gym that I was unfamiliar with but looked like a lot of fun. It was a Helix Lateral Trainer which moves in an eliptical lateral motion instead of forward like a regular eliptical. I was really nervous to try it - either I'd end up doing it wrong or not be able to do it for very long

I watched a video of how to use it online and went in the gym today and just got on and did it. And it turned out to be a really challenging workout - I'm so glad I decided to try it.

So just get in there and do it, you will be glad that you stepped out of your comfort zone and did something good for your body!