Trouble with my goal weight.

Options
So I am having trouble deciding what would be a healthy goal weight for me. At first I was thinking 115-120 but my mom thinks that is too low. I am 5'2" and am not sure what. good weight would be for my height. Also another question I have that is somewhat unrelated is where I am even losing this weight. I have lost 10 lbs so far and I don't see or feel any difference at all and am getting to the point where I'm not sure I trust the scales. Others have told me they see the change but I don't anywhere
I'm starting to lose my motivation with this whole weight loss thing because I don't see results. what do I do???

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    115-120 is not too low if you're only 5'2
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

I'm starting to lose my motivation with this whole weight loss thing because I don't see results. what do I do???

keep working hard
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest taking your measurements. Sometimes it helps to see the difference in those numbers too.
  • esmecgg
    esmecgg Posts: 38
    Options
    Track measurements - especially for your waist (and bust!)
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    My UGW is 120 and I have 2 inches on you. I don't think it is too low.

Are you pretty active?

And definitely just keep at it. I swear if you just keep plugging it away, the changes come.
    Just be patient.
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Strength train- it'll change your body like nothing else. Rather than set an arbitrary number as a goal weight, focus on your fitness and nutrition goals and your body will change for the better. The number on the scale is meaningless! A 5' 2", 120 lb woman with very little muscle could be flabby, whereas a 5' 2" 135 lb woman could be fit, muscular, toned and sexy with arms and abs to die for. Which would you rather be?!
  • hailzp
    hailzp Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    The medical recommendations for someone your height is anywhere between 104-137 lbs so whatever weight you feel good at. It also depends on your goal. Same weights on same heights can look different on different people. If one person has more muscle for example.

10lbs is a good loss and it can come off your whole body. You might not lose it off just one place. Have you tried taking measurements? That can help you a lot in seeing results. Take photos as well and just keep going till you feel good.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    115-120 is not too low for most people but it really depends on your body frame. I'm 5'2 and currently at 124. 120 or 115 would be fine for me but I'm very small framed. its really all very personal
  • MrsWells1983
    Options

If you give up you won't see changes either. Just sayin' :wink:
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Strength train- it'll change your body like nothing else. Rather than set an arbitrary number as a goal weight, focus on your fitness and nutrition goals and your body will change for the better. The number on the scale is meaningless! A 5' 2", 120 lb woman with very little muscle could be flabby, whereas a 5' 2" 135 lb woman could be fit, muscular, toned and sexy with arms and abs to die for. Which would you rather be?!

^^This for sure! I am 20 pounds heavier than I was 20 years ago, but I wear a smaller size. I like my body much better now! I originally set a goal weight of 130, but then I learned that my niece is that weight and wears a size 2--she is very toned. I want to wear a 6! A two would never look good on me! I've since readjusted my goals! Keep track of your measurements!
    Good luck.
  • grapegorilla13
    grapegorilla13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Set a target you're happy with. Mom's tend to like us looking well fed :)
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Take underwear pictures! Seriously! (Obviously don't post them or anything, just so that you have them). I didn't at my (MFP) high weight and I wish I had. I have a picture or two fully clothed and had a picture taken a week or two ago and it was the first time I've really seen the difference in myself.
  • runningbs
    runningbs Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on your build. It doesn't sound low--family can sometimes be the opposite of helpful!
  • MrGrobbel
    MrGrobbel Posts: 35
    Options
    I don't have much knowledge with strength training. I run about 3.5 miles a day on the days I have time (6 times this week most weeks less than that) but I don't know what else to do especially with such lack of time. I increase the speed at which I run every couple days or so or when I feel my newest speed becoming to easy for me. I'm not sure if this does much but I haven't lost a pound this week and in previous weeks I lost more than one. Can one day of eating more calories than your goal really throw you off that much??
  • MrGrobbel
    MrGrobbel Posts: 35
    Options
    Set a target you're happy with. Mom's tend to like us looking well fed :)

Lol true. My family is definitely my worst influence when it comes to eating. That's why this diet is really difficult. reading stuff like this helps though :)
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I'm about 2" shorter than you and 110-115 is right where I need to be, so I would guess about 115-120 for you would look great. On the other note, I've lost almost 30lbs and some days still feel like I've got a long long way to go, it's just a matter of your mind catching up with your body.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I don't have much knowledge with strength training. I run about 3.5 miles a day on the days I have time (6 times this week most weeks less than that) but I don't know what else to do especially with such lack of time. I increase the speed at which I run every couple days or so or when I feel my newest speed becoming to easy for me. I'm not sure if this does much but I haven't lost a pound this week and in previous weeks I lost more than one. Can one day of eating more calories than your goal really throw you off that much??

in a word... NO. good luck
  • CaffeinatedGlitter
    CaffeinatedGlitter Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Also my mom tells me it's too low as well, but I remember being that weight and loving how I looked, in spite of her making jokes about the wind carrying me away...
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" too and my mom (when she asked me point blank about my goal, cause I'm not doing this for her so I didn't feel it necessary to volunteer the info) thinks 115 is too low too (which I privately find hilarious for my own private reasons!!) However, I figure it this way -- I've checked with several charts and calculators and they all peg the healthy range for our height as between 100ish and 135. So 115-120 which is where I am shooting for as well is right about mid range which gives me wiggle room for ups and downs without being unhealthy on either extreme. So I am sticking with my decision. You just have to tune out all the conflicting and unsolicited advice and go with what seems right for you. Listening to everyone contradict one another in the best way or the so-called "only" way to get this done will drive you batty. Turn off your barometer about what anyone else thinks or recommends, make your goal and stick to it. If you don't like it when you get there, it's not like you can't change it. Weight will never be completely static.
  • akilahleemarie
    akilahleemarie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean by not seeing a difference..but as small as you are, losing 10 pounds is a big deal. Go to a second hand store and buy jeans that only go up to your mid thighs or the top of your thighs...take a picture..when you lose another 5-10 pounds try them on again, and take a picture..this will change your view pretty quick lol.