stroke survivor trying to lose and keep fit

Options
betheme
betheme Posts: 11 Member
hi,
I'm a 49 year old stroke survivor. because of inactivity and medication it's hard to lose weight. thanks to My Fitness Pal I'm well on my way. I was using the Slim Fast site with no luck. I'm now down to a good healthy weight. the database is amazing...can always find what I'm looking for. my problem is getting enough exercise in but I'm certainly not about to give up!

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    It's never too late to take care of yourself. Good for you!

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll love it.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I know your only 49 but my husband had his at 50 Are there any stroke or senior centers near you they are a good source to check into. My husbands was global and he was aphasic so he couldn't write or speak he could say about 20 words which were used for all words. Its sounds like you fared much better best of luck you can add me as a friend if you would like
  • cviertha
    cviertha Posts: 32
    Options
    I am also 49 and am lucky enough not to have had a stroke so far. I've lost 76 pounds and you can do this program too. What do you mean by inactivity? Are you able to do any type of exercise? I can do some brainstorming with you if you'd like. How much weight do you want to lose? You can add me as a friend if you would like also. :flowerforyou:
  • jroyse
    jroyse Posts: 2
    Options
    I had a stroke at 37 because I let my blood pressure and diabetes get out of control. Two years later I started using MFP and realized I wasn't eating as healthy as I could be (even though I was doing better). I have lost 30 pounds in three months and have 26 left to go (hopefully by the end of the year). I have cut my insulin intake in half and my blood pressure is well under control I too, have difficulty with physical activity and my insulin slows down weight loss but it is doable and I encourage you to stick with it. I bought a recumbant bike which has helped me increase my activity level and my husband and I walk in the pool. Just walk back and forth at a comfortable pace. Maybe something like that would help. Good luck!
  • betheme
    Options
    thanks...just made my goal weight!
  • betheme
    Options
    I didn't have much to lose. my stroke was a result of an artery defect(not weight related). but I've just made my goal so I'm happy. I am able to use a treadmill but not for long periods of time. my daughter is a dietitian so she's helped too.
    thanks for all the encouragement!
  • betheme
    Options
    I didn't have much to lose. my stroke was a result of an artery defect(not weight related). but I've just made my goal so I'm happy. I am able to use a treadmill but not for long periods of time. my daughter is a dietitian so she's helped too.
  • betheme
    Options