No carb?

Options

Replies

• TristaD611
    TristaD611 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am hypothyroid as well and gained nearly 20 pounds from it(I am also not considered overweight, and have never had a weight problem). It definitely makes it harder to lose. I find that most calorie intakes to maintain weight are a little high bc with being hypothryoid, your metobolism is slower, and you burn less calories than a normal person. So I set my goals a little lower and definitely exercise and weight train. Macros are macronutrients- protein, carb, and fat.
  • raeraebeau
    Options
    Thank you!
    When we're you diagnosed? It runs in my family (mother and 2 sisters have it) so I kept having my bloodwork done and they told me I was fine. I got married, gained 20lbs in 7 months on the pill, went off got pregnant. Long story short I now have two kids and after my second baby my bloodwork finally came back with my thyroid out of wack, I'm now on meds which helps me with my tiredness and energy levels but I'm still having such a hard time losing the 20 lbs I gained on the pill in 2006.

I am hypothyroid as well and gained nearly 20 pounds from it(I am also not considered overweight, and have never had a weight problem). It definitely makes it harder to lose. I find that most calorie intakes to maintain weight are a little high bc with being hypothryoid, your metobolism is slower, and you burn less calories than a normal person. So I set my goals a little lower and definitely exercise and weight train. Macros are macronutrients- protein, carb, and fat.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Well, I will asume you are not stuck on a remote mountain top somewhere, as you obviously have internet access... ;-)

Cut down on the white type of carbs as much as possible, yes. Replace them with whole wheat if you like. But weight loss is simply math: Eat a reasonable deficit, and you will lose weight. If you want "real" pizza, eat it if it fits (but log it). You can still lose weight.

As far as weight loss goes: Carbs are not the enemy here; Fat is not the enemy; Protein is not the enemy. Excess calories are.

Well they're all enemies in excess and deficit. There are good calories and bad calories remember.

Which would be the bad calories for me?

The ones in the hoodies that hang in the mall hassling old ladies?
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I could NEVER eat no carb. I would have to eat chicken and tuna and not much else.

I DO eat low carb because I am diabetic. And as you can see from my ticker, I have lost weight.

We have to have SOME carbs. Dont be afraid to eat them...especially if you have no medical issues like me. Enjoy them!
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You could try no more than 15 gr of COMPLEX carbs per meal-and always have protein; for a total of no more than 50 grams a day total.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

Which race has the longest life span again? Oh, the Japanese. What is the staple of their diet again? Oh, rice. 60% approx. of their diet is made up of carbs.

Just eat less, avoid crap (i.e. all the sugary stuff) and get lots of veggies and you'll shed the weight in a manageable, healthy way :)

Sick of carb haters, once Japanese are brought into the ring all I can say is 'your argument is invalid'
  • OriginalKatie
    OriginalKatie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I used to follow a diet where I really cut back on how much bread and rice and cereal I was eating, and used whole grain pasta. I didn't cut it out completely, because carbohydrates are good fibre and the main energy source of your body. I focused on increasing my fruit and vegetable intake, ensuring that I ate every 3 hours and included fruit/vegies, protein, good fats in every meal. Along with personal training, I lost 40 kilos. You shouldn't cut out carbs completely.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, make sure it's something you can maintain. Depriving yourself of a major food group may not be the best way to make a lifestyle change.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    You could try no more than 15 gr of COMPLEX carbs per meal-and always have protein; for a total of no more than 50 grams a day total.

Why not just eat at a deficit instead of making things so complicated?
    Probably because, as OP stated, she has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which makes her insulin-resistant, which means reduced-carbohydrate is recommended (much like Type II diabetics) from a medical standpoint...

... and she also has to worry about calories, and cannot accurately calculate a BMR or TDEE with her metabolic condition ...

In this case, it's not as 'simple' as using a calculator and eating a deficit - neither for weight-loss or optimum health.
  • Asterie
    Asterie Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

Which race has the longest life span again? Oh, the Japanese. What is the staple of their diet again? Oh, rice. 60% approx. of their diet is made up of carbs.

Just eat less, avoid crap (i.e. all the sugary stuff) and get lots of veggies and you'll shed the weight in a manageable, healthy way :)

Sick of carb haters, once Japanese are brought into the ring all I can say is 'your argument is invalid'

I think you might need to go and retake your critical thinking class.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

Wow, complete lack of research, much?

Okinawans traditionally had the longest lifespans, but their staple was a very low-carb Okinawan Yam, not rice. And the traditional Okinawan diet was also quite low-calorie, and lower in total carbohydrate than what many 'reduced-carb' dieters now eat.

Japan traditionally had very long lifespans, but they can hardly be considered a current model of health with some of the fastest growing Type II diabetes rates in the world. Back in 2009, ~ 13.5% of the Japanese population now has either type 2 diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance, and it's grown since then.

Also, look at the research paper: "White rice consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis and systematic review", which had the following conclusion:
    Higher consumption of white rice is associated with a significantly increased risk of type 2 diabetes, especially in Asian (Chinese and Japanese) populations.

A dose-response analysis showed that each serving per day of white rice consumption was associated with an 11% increase in risk of diabetes in the overall population.
    But please, feel free to eat all of that particular refined carbohydrate if you want, ignore the facts.
    Sick of carb haters, once Japanese are brought into the ring all I can say is 'your argument is invalid
    Parting shot: Who's argument is now invalid?
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options

Why not just eat at a deficit instead of making things so complicated?
    Probably because, as OP stated, she has Hashimoto's thyroiditis, which makes her insulin-resistant, which means reduced-carbohydrate is recommended (much like Type II diabetics) from a medical standpoint...

... and she also has to worry about calories, and cannot accurately calculate a BMR or TDEE with her metabolic condition ...

In this case, it's not as 'simple' as using a calculator and eating a deficit - neither for weight-loss or optimum health.

THIS ... glad you caught what OP said about her health issues Albertabeefy! :drinker: A low carb diet (not no carb) would benefit her. And yes, you can lose weight on a low carb diet ... I have lost 75 pounds so far low-carbing it and I am happy and healthy and the weight is still coming off.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Sorry I meant white flour useless carbs not the veggie carbs . But what about whole wheat pasta or the like? Isn't it better not to eat any of that and rather fill up on proteins fruits and veggies ?

I east like 200g of carbs a day....I've lost 77lbs...carbs are energy!
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the chief source of energy for all bodily functions and muscular exertion. They are necessary for the digestion and assimilation of other foods. They help regulate protein and fat metabolism, and fats require carbohydrates to be broken down in the liver. They also provide some of the structural components necessary for the growth and repair of tissues. All carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

The Japanese also eat a LOT of fish and eggs. Rice is a daily thing, but it's not consumed in huge amounts all at once - snacking (or taking several small meals) is very common. People in Japan in general walk...a LOT - not that many cars per person as in North America. Longest life span has just as much to do with lifestyle as with diet. Okinawans, likely the Japanese you're referring to, have the lowest-stress/laid back local culture of all the Japanese islands....and honestly they're not really Japanese as they were a separate kingdom long before being claimed by Japan. Overall, the Japanese have a different lifestyle that impacts their health just as much if not more than their food intake.

Can't really compare diet unless you take lifestyle into account.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

The Japanese also eat a LOT of fish and eggs. Rice is a daily thing, but it's not consumed in huge amounts all at once - snacking (or taking several small meals) is very common. People in Japan in general walk...a LOT - not that many cars per person as in North America. Longest life span has just as much to do with lifestyle as with diet. Okinawans, likely the Japanese you're referring to, have the lowest-stress/laid back local culture of all the Japanese islands....and honestly they're not really Japanese as they were a separate kingdom long before being claimed by Japan. Overall, the Japanese have a different lifestyle that impacts their health just as much if not more than their food intake.

Can't really compare diet unless you take lifestyle into account.

+quoting above posts, I guess I really have to stop reading anything written in Australia, countless times they try to manipulate too much. My apologies for not doing further research. I am totally aware that stroke is a big issue and can imagine how diabetes is as well with all the candy. I by no means am advocating lots of refined carbs, rather that carbs aren't some evil monster to stay away from.

For sure Okinawans are not Japanese really at all traditionally - much of their culture comes from China. I live here in Japan and have studied the language etc for some time now and observe the eating and lifestyle habits which I myself have adopted.

Carbs are not seen as a monster here. People ride bicycles and walk everywhere. There are definite social issues (suicide and overworking) but their diet is phenomenally better than the West. That and portion sizes. Sizes my friends 'complain' about in restaurants back where I am from in Sydney are normal here. I myself was shocked at first, but once adjusted I realised that we really are inclined to simply eat far too much.

I think my whole point was not to let the OP be shocked about carbs. They are so important for your body, and of course complex and less refined is best - I tend to have red and brown rice these days, just white when I eat out

Just trying to help!

edit: yeah they eats so much fish and eggs! You should see the seafood sections here.. I get excited every time I do grocery shopping. Fish is almost always a daily staple. Standard breakfast is raw egg with fermented soybeans on rice... not digging the fermented soybeans (yet) but I watch my boyfriend eat it and I still am intrigued at how strange it is haha

edit2: snacking is not as big a thing here as you seem so think... it isn't standard procedure per se. They just have smaller meals than us in the West and their snacks (everyone snacks a little generally) are traditionally dried fish or an apple!
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Now ppl keep referring to macros like I said I'm new to this so what exacts is macros?
    macros = macronutrients, referring to the carbs, proteins and fats in the foods that you eat. Example: a 40/30/30 program where 40% of your day is carbs, 30% is protein, and 30% is fat. If you use a smartphone or ipad app for this site, you can see each day as a pie chart.... mmmm pie

micros = micronutrients, are the vitamins, minerals, trace elements, phytochemicals, and antioxidants that are in the foods.

Hope that helps!