does it work? really?

Options
HI, Im have bought the winsor pilates beginner dvd and have been doing it for 3 days aweek for 3 weeks. has anybody used it? what have you found using it? and does it burn any calories? Its a pretty low impact work out (im not a fan of sweating)

Replies

• paris88
    paris88 Posts: 27
    Options
    HI, Im have bought the winsor pilates beginner dvd and have been doing it for 3 days aweek for 3 weeks. has anybody used it? what have you found using it? and does it burn any calories? Its a pretty low impact work out (im not a fan of sweating)
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    I love it because it strengthens my neck and helps me not get migraines. I don't know about burning calories. I think there is one that is specifically for that, though.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Pilates, or any isometric workout are a good way to strengthen and tone. They aren't the greatest calorie burner, but they aren't the worst either. If you include pilates with your cardio routine and some good weight training then they can be very effective at toning, especially for the core, which is vital to having good overall joint and muscle health (think back pain).

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't a fan of sweating, because that's the best way to burn lots of calories. Keeping your heart rate in the 70% range (give or take 3 or 4 percent 1 way or the other) for extended periods is a fantastic calorie burner. Pilates alone probably won't do a heck of a lot for you on the calorie burning front (unless you do them for hours a day, pilates will probably get your heart rate into the low 60s percent wise), but do 1 hour of pilates 3 times a week, and add 1/2 hour to 1 hour of mid-range cardio 3 times a week too and you are well on your way to a tone, fit body.
  • paris88
    paris88 Posts: 27
    Options
    :grumble: guess I had better get over the hating to sweat thing then.
    Thanks for your input :smile: