Need help with what to wear...

Options
Tiff050709
Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
My husband is graduating with his BA in early June. I would really like to wear a dress/skirt to the commencement but I honestly haven't worn a dress since we got married, which was 5 years ago. I am trying to be confident and not wear my go-to black slacks and a shirt. I was wondering if anyone could suggest something. I don't even know what style to wear. Right now I am in a 24 bottom and a 1x shirt. I doubt my size would change much before then. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• CheriLMT
    CheriLMT Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of skirt and shirt combo....or break up a dress with a wide belt at the smallest part of the waist...I am a size 24 bottom and 3x top.....so I am bigger all over...it sounds like you have smaller midsection you should show that off!
  • needles85365
    needles85365 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    can't tell you a style just have to go shopping and try them on, different styles and colors. Go with a good attitude and know that you will have to try on several before you find one. I would take a friend with me so I could get a second opinion and someone to encourage me when after the 5th or 6th one that doesn't look right they could help me keep going. Catherines , Torrids and lane Bryant are where I would start. Try skirts and tops as well.

Good Luck, and congrats to your husband
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would really need to see your body shape in order to give you any suggestions. Would you be willing to post a full body pic or email me one so I can see your shape?
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    A trenchcoat with nothing under it.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    A trenchcoat with nothing under it.

^This^
  • cgmilleson
    Options
    Graduation is a fun day, but trust me, you'll be glad you wore something comfortable (including shoes)! Try for a new type of top - maybe a wrap-around? Don't worry about going to your stand-by comfortable clothes. As long as you look FAB-U-LOUS to celebrate (because, there will be lots of graduation photos) there are no worries!
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    I like the wide belt idea, you can do it with the skirt/shirt combo (I don't know what colors look good on you, but go with a more bold, solid colored skirt with a neutral color shirt and belt that is complimentary, but darker than your shirt).

If you don't like color matching, get a knee-length summer dress and you can do the belt thing with that, too.

Top it off with some nude-colored wedges to make your legs look long & lean, plus wedges won't make your feet hate you if you have to walk around a bit :)
  • maiaroman18
    maiaroman18 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    maybe you can go to a store, try a few things on, take pics, and post for feedback? It's hard to say without seeing your frame.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess it would be pretty difficult to say for sure. I am just very clueless. I would wear clothes just to have something on and now I am trying to wear things I like but look good on me. Thanks for the tips. Maybe when I find things to try on I could post back on here or something?
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you have a large bust, a dress that wraps at the top, flares out slightly at the hip and comes just below the knee will look great! Check out Lane Bryant, they have some great dresses right now and the staff are very friendly and helpful! Congrats to the hubs!
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Find a sales person where ever you go shopping and have them help you. When I worked at Sears for a few years, I used to love helping people find clothes that made them look and feel great or helping them coordinate for special events. I shop VERY frequently at Maurices....so frequently that the girls know me by name. Anyways, the reason I shop there so much (aside from their super cute clothes) is that the girls always take the time to ask if I'm just shopping for the heck of it or if I have something going on that I need to dress for, then they help me coordinate from there. They've helped me plan for concerts, dates, weddings, a divorce party, etc. Don't be afraid to ask for opinions :) Shoot I've been known to ask random people near the fitting room if I can't find someone that works there lol. Strangers usually aren't afraid to be honest with you about how something looks on you :)
  • SlenderElegance
    Options
    I"m a designer and I would encourage you to get out of your comfort zone. Go shopping with an open mind and you will find some fabulous figure flattering clothes. Always remember that you wear your clothes (not the other way around) find something you feel confident and comfortable in and you will be stunning! Good luck.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    http://www.lanebryant.com/dresses-skirts/dressy-dresses/4031c1043/index.cat Like this! :-) Of course they have some similar styles that are more affordable only a lesser quality fabric.
  • Holly_penguin
    Holly_penguin Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I always find dresses more flattering than skirt/shirt combos. I agree with other posters about wrap dresses...so flattering and forgiving. look for something with ruching to camoflage bumpy-bits in mid-section. Dresses are super HOT this season. Every store has tons. Try Dress Barn, Torrid, Lane Bryant, Avenue and Catherines.

I have also had great luck with a pencil skirt and nipped blouse combo. It seems counter intuitive that a straight tight skirt would be a big bum's friend...but it honestley is. especially if you have a smaller waist. It minimizes rather than accentuates the bottom. Think Joan on Mad Men or Marilyn Monroe.

Ask the salesperson to help you. tell her what you are comfortable with and what the event is. Also dress to go shopping. Wear support garments and heels. Wear makeup and do your hair. That way when you look in the mirror while trying stuff on you will feel prettier. I always have more successful shopping experiences when I'm dressed for the experience. Good luck...have fun.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    http://www.lanebryant.com/dresses-skirts/dressy-dresses/4031c1043/index.cat This one too! Add the wide belt for some definition.
  • CupcakesAndRazorblades
    Options
    Perhaps something like this?
    imagesCA8ZNZU0_zpsdc977ce7.jpg

I like to wear dresses with little cardigans to cover up a little more as that I'm very self conscious
  • KimberlyDCZ
    Options
    http://www.lanebryant.com/plus-size-dresses-skirts/black-dresses/4031c20256/index.cat

This one is super cute! Especially the one with the polka dots.
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Perhaps something like this?
    imagesCA8ZNZU0_zpsdc977ce7.jpg

I like to wear dresses with little cardigans to cover up a little more as that I'm very self conscious

OMG, I love this! Can I get the website?