Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What are some of your favorite "nonexercise" exercises?

With three active kids, a stressful job and no time to go to the gym in the evening, I have become pretty good at finding ways to work out that don't involve the gym or popping in a work out video (although I do love my 30-Day Shred.)

I was wondering what everyone else was doing to get moving and get healthy.

Here are some of my faves that usually include the family making them feel like less of a chore and a lot more fun!

Hiking
Rollerskating
Swing Dancing
Playing Frisbee
Taking a walk in the desert (There's a large section of open desert behind my house and the kids and I can see jackrabbits, lizards, squirrels and once a coyote!)
Batting Cages
Playing Catch (Football and baseball)

Can't wait to see what everyone else enjoys to do!

Replies

• emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    I like swimming laps and walking. Also the Wii loving the new Walk It Out Game, its were you own a Island, and the more you walk the more chips you earn to buy more music, trees, hotels, cars, farms, houses, boats, and lots of other things. Theres a Night time, with stars and you can buy zodiac signs, the day time can add a rainbow. Its really cool, something the whole family can enjoy too!
  • Plantpot
    Plantpot Posts: 105 Member
    Shopping...... you have got to love shopping!!!! I work in city centre, so try to mooch around the shops for an hour at lunch or after work!!! Carrying shopping bags is a bonus!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Bike riding is great with the kids - and a terrific workout!
  • Just dance on the Wii:happy:
  • david1956
    david1956 Posts: 190 Member
    Love walking. I'm starting to get back into photography and it really makes me want to get out and explore my environment.

I've got one of the world most beautiful mountains out one window (about 20 mins drive to visitor carpark), great surf beaches a kilometre away out the other window, a coastal walkway that everyone walks, runs, cycles, skateboards along. One of NZ's (probably one of the world's ..) most beautiful parks. So I love getting out with my camera and simply walking.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I love taking my dog on long walks. There are a lot of wide open spaces near me where he can go off-leash and we get to check out beautiful scenery too. That's what I tend to do on my "rest" days.

And my husband & I LOVE swing dancing!! We sweat so much, and have so much fun!

My job is also somewhat physical (I'm a physical therapist) so depending on my caseload, I may be sneaking in a little bit of exercise there too. I just started an aquatic therapy program, and often times, for my patients with back issues I will sit on a noodle or other bouyance device and teach core strengthing/stabilization exercises while balancing in the water. I don't know that I'm burning any calories doing that but I am exercising nonetheless!
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    I love to get out in my garden and work out there - pulling weeds mostly at this point, but planting really got me working too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Fishing

Don't laugh, my fishing trips tend to be rather intense. Walking 1-3 miles along a rocky stream, and wading against the current is GREAT exercise. Much more tiring than just trail hiking.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    I love playing at the beach. Just carrying all the stuff I now require to the water, over the sand , is a workout in itself! :laugh:

But playing in the water........I will mark a spot and walk in waist high water and waves............phew, I am tired thinking about it!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    I love playing at the beach. Just carrying all the stuff I now require to the water, over the sand , is a workout in itself! :laugh:

But playing in the water........I will mark a spot and walk in waist high water and waves............phew, I am tired thinking about it!

You know I wondered how much jumping in the waves burned. I did that for nearly two hours with my kids and the closest I got was body surfing so I just wrote down less than 2 hours.
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Don't have a car, so I do all my errands and go back and forth to work by bike. My commute is between 30 and 40 minutes, every day. Plus errands, and I get in a crazy amount of calorie burn every day.