protein drink after just cardio??

Options
is a protein drink necessary after a 35 min cardio session and a 10 min interval session to build muscle??

Replies

• chrispol
    chrispol Posts: 21
    Options
    You can most certainly have a protein Drink after just cardio. Since your body starts to heal the muscle right after a workout, taking protein at that time will give the body the fuel it needs to heal and grow.

Following your workout its a good idea to take in small meals containing high protein in about three to four hour intervals, thereby providing your muscles with a constant supply of protein to help your muscles heal. It is also vital to take in a protein drink or a slow burning protein (such as cottage cheese) before you go to bed therefore providing your muscles with protein, since your body will be slowly depleted of protein as you sleep. Breakfast is a key meal as well, because your body awaits nourishment after sleeping for 8-12 hours.

And as side note With dieting and those wishing to lose some extra fat, whey protein can be very useful because a good intake of protein balances blood sugar levels, while carbohydrates cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate. When the blood sugar levels stay balanced, one is not as prone to rampant eating and has more energy and greater fat loss.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    wow thank you! Very helpful! I was wondering because since I am not actually lifting weights im only running or on the elliptical if it was even of use to drink a protein shake. thanks again!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    is a protein drink necessary after a 35 min cardio session and a 10 min interval session to build muscle??

Depends on the intensity of the workout. After a high-intensity or long-duration workout, the immediate post exercise period is a window during which a combination feeding of carbs and protein can help replenish muscle fuel more rapidly.

From your description, I doubt that you need any special supplementation. A small snack and water after the workout is not a bad idea, but you don't need anything special or elaborate.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    when i had a trainer he always suggested a protein drink after workouts
  • lilmissy2
    lilmissy2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Depends on the intensity of the workout. After a high-intensity or long-duration workout, the immediate post exercise period is a window during which a combination feeding of carbs and protein can help replenish muscle fuel more rapidly.

From your description, I doubt that you need any special supplementation. A small snack and water after the workout is not a bad idea, but you don't need anything special or elaborate.

Absolutely agree with this. I hear from a lot of people that their trainers tell them they must have a protein shake even after a short workout, yet they are trying to lose weight. Seems a bit counterproductive to me for you to replace all of the calories and sometimes more than what you have used so immediately. If protein shakes are your thing then good for you but make sure it's planned into your intake and dont feel like you have to have that just because you exercised. I meet people who hate (with a passion) the taste of protein shakes but are forcing them down after workouts because their trainer said so... :ohwell: