First Thing You Changed

Options

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Weighing, measuring and counting everything.
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yay, a question I know the answer to. I started eating oatmeal for breakfast. That was around mid October. What happened after that was I noticed I was a lot less hungry. The calories for my breakfast were about the same, it's a big bowl of oatmeal. But, it allowed me to cut out a mid morning snack which right there was a 300-500 calorie reduction. Then I found myself sort of craving healthier foods, so I ended up eating more fruits and veggies. I wasn't trying to lose weight at this point, I just wanted something healthier, easier to prepare, and cheaper for breakfast, but I noticed that it was easier to move around and that my clothes started fitting better. Now I am here and the first thing I changed upon joining here is that I try to log everything.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Stopped drinking Coca-Cola...for the calories but also for my diabetes. But I also lowered my carbs and sugar in general for the same reason.
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Started running.
    Cut out pop.
    Started tracking what I ate.

Then I actually changed my diet and exercised consistently.
  • ScottishMrs
    ScottishMrs Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating as much as my husband and instead tried eating only a bit. I now give myself less food than my 6ft, 200lb husband who weight lifts 6 times a week and it's made a huge difference.
  • texasblackrose
    Options
    ~ no more soda
    ~ eating more greens
    ~ walking
    ~measure and keep track of all food that passes my lips
    ~ eat every 3 hours so im never hungry - makes me not binge
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    No snacking and limit sweets to sugar free puddings and such and not candy! :)
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Sheesh.

I went from ordering big macs to ordering regular hamburgers.
  • Shawnzgirl78
    Shawnzgirl78 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    No soda
  • IamD1
    IamD1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    No eating after dinner.
    Tracking every item that I eat. Thank you MFP!
    Walking each day
    Light snack if hungry.
  • Stardawn52
    Stardawn52 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    No soda pop for a year and a half now
  • agrant85
    agrant85 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    No sweet tea, coffee with breakfast and water the rest of the day...
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I started working out.
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Broke off my relationship with McDonald's as in my car doesn't drive me there anymore and stopped with Little Debbies.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Cutting out soda (I don't miss it) and logging has really helped! Although I slacked off on the logging and just now getting getting back into it.
  • MrsWells1983
    Options
    1. Joined MFP and started counting calories (and I'm not limiting myself to 1200 cals, so easy to fall off the wagon when you are starving!)
    2. Drink more water
    3. Move, Move, Move!!!!

I've only been using MFP full time for the last week and it's the best thing I've ever done. I'm accountable for what I put into my body. I can see how many cals I'm eating and how many I'm burning (or need to burn). I'm more aware of cals and am surprised as to where I find them! I don't cut things out completely! If I crave a choc I have one, then suck it up and move on, I know to make my next food choice a healthy one. I have a free day a week where I eat 'what I want' but within reason, I'm still really aware of what I am eating on those days. I can see this way of thinking is something I can do for life.

I've dropped 1.6kg in the first week of being on MFP and for the first time in my life I don't want to do it in a hurry, I want to do it slowly and healthily.

Tam x :happy:
  • deeva2266
    deeva2266 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Portion control and measuring foods

Cut back from 2 servings of almost anything down to 1 like 2 teaspoons of sugar to 1

Log food every day and do not miss a day ever!!

Try to exercise 30 minutes a day with 1 day off a week
  • 1two3four
    1two3four Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What are the first few things you changed in your diet that had an effect on your weight loss?

Eating less. Literally smaller portions followed by not drinking my calories. In the beginning I drank ONLY water, black coffee, unsweetened tea and milk. Now I drink a little bit of pop, juice and stuff but it's not like it was before it's a sometimes thing. Not an all the time, I don't drink water kind of thing. As for the eating less thing I would only eat one plate of something. Or half the amount of ice cream I would normally eat. Or one cheeseburger, not a double.

That and moving more. I KNOW it's not diet but it's important. It doesn't have to be exercise. It can be taking the stairs, parking further away or getting the mail every day instead of once a week. (Or walking to the box from the house instead of getting it from the car).
  • akp4Him
    akp4Him Posts: 227
    Options
    1. No refined carbs. (now that I am close to goal weight...I have some every once in a while...but when I started...I cut out refined carbs. I only ate whole grains...kept me fuller longer!)
    2. Drank more water.
    3. More exercise.
    4. Ate at a deficit.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    1. Weighing and measuring everything that passed my lips

2. Tracking everything that passed my lips

3. Limit eating out, and when I do, I make smart choices. Usually requires pre-planning.

4. Never leave the house for extended errands without healthy, low calorie, protein snacks. Tuna packs are great.

5. Exercise, duh!

6. Minimal alcohol, sad but true..

7. Number one most important change. Eat at a caloric deficit.