butter versus margarine

Options
13»

Replies

• Arosebloom1
    Arosebloom1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    So are you saying that real butter is better for you than mrgerine? I have been using Shedds country crock light. What about that?
  • dharqvenym
    Options
    Margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. They originally made it to try to fatten turkeys but it kept killing the turkeys. I know which one I use.
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Really? Really?
    [The answer is no]

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/butter.asp
    Just for an easy place to look.

How about a little research before posting false information? Is that really too much to ask?

Really [Yes] watched how it was made and that was almost a direct quote.
  • dharqvenym
    Options
    Margarine is 1 molecule away from being plastic. They originally made it to try to fatten turkeys but it kept killing the turkeys. I know which one I use.

People are still perpetuating this myth as fact? Seriously? BOTH statements here are just plain wrong.. Margarine was not invented to fatten turkeys AND, it's not one molecule away from being plastic. Why do people insist on using such a silly argument to justify their use of butter???? What's wrong with just saying "butter tastes better and it's natural therefore that is the product I choose" ?

Hm, watched the show how it';s made and that was almost a direct quote.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    i have to say after all this argument about the margarine being 1 molecule away from plastic...i heard the same thing. I heard it from somebody who like real butter!!!!!!!!! lol! My granny who passed away. She fried her eggs in bacon too!!!!!! Even after hearing her say that...i stil am stubborn and buy margarine. I grew up with it, and ate it for years. I figure i am 37 now, and still alive!!!!!!!!!
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options

Even if margarine were one molecule away from being plastic... so? Water is one molecule away from being hydrogen peroxide, but that's not a very good reason to stop drinking it.

(As for the turkey bit: nope, known myth.)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

People are still perpetuating this myth as fact? Seriously? BOTH statements here are just plain wrong.. Margarine was not invented to fatten turkeys AND, it's not one molecule away from being plastic. Why do people insist on using such a silly argument to justify their use of butter???? What's wrong with just saying "butter tastes better and it's natural therefore that is the product I choose" ?

Consider that in chemistry, many things are only one molecule from other things. It's not really that huge of a deal for something to be "one molecule" from something else. That ONE molecule makes a HUGE difference.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

"How it's made" did this episode on how butter is made
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE8b02SASXY

But has never done an episode on how margarine is made
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_How_It's_Made_episodes

So I'm going to say that you are not correct on the source of that information.

Also there are a ton of things that can be toxic when consumed that are less than one molecule away from perfectly healthy things (including water, other foods, medication). Some things have the exact same chemical formula and are just chirally different for example L-Ascorbic acid and D-Ascorbic Acid or D-Limonene and R-Limonene among many, many others.

So what?
  • insanemarina
    insanemarina Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try whipping up a 1:1 ratio of butter and grapeseed oil. Keep it in the fridge and it spreads like margarine and cuts back on the saturated fat.