Really Stupid questions

Options
I fell off the health wagon almost a year ago and along with doing so I have forgotten most of the health related things I learned. I am just getting back into using this site and like when I am done eating and exercising for the day is my "net" supposed to be negative?

Also I was trying to calculate exactly how many calories I should be eating to lose 2 pounds a week. I started with MFP's automatic calculations and it said eating 1200 calories a day will make me lose .80 of a pound a week. That doesn't seem quite right to me. I am extremely sedentary due to illness which probably affects my BMR (according to mfp its 1660). I would really like to lost at least 2 pounds a week so how much should I really be eating? I am going to trying to burn 100-200 calories maybe 3 times a week.

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    MFP's calorie requirements are very low, I would suggest looking up a BMR calculator. Fat2Fit radio's a good start and eating 20-30% less and seeing how that works out for you.

Your net shouldn't be in the negative when it comes to calories if it is you must eat more
  • millkins
    millkins Posts: 4
    Options
    I think 1200 calories is the minimum mpf recommends as I can't seem to get mine to correspond to the 2lb/ week loss I've said I want to achieve.
  • skinny_bre
    skinny_bre Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    So what is your net supposed to be? Is it your deficit?
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    your net should be just under your daily requirements after exercise. for example, I eat 1500 calories in a day, I exercise 300 away, my net is 1200, which is a 500 calories lower than the 1700 I need to maintain my weight where it is right now
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I would start with 1 lb a week first.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Your net should always be at LEAST your BMR, but find it on a different website than this one.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The way MFP is set up, your net should be your daily goal. That means eating back your exercise cals.