Making time to cook advice

Options
Hotgirl100
Hotgirl100 Posts: 7 Member
Hello everyone: I need some help. I work in the afternoons from 2:00 PM until 5:30 everyday Monday through Friday. I don't have the time to cook much at all until the weekend. I am trying to find healthy and super easy to make meals for lunch and dinner that takes 10-15 min or less. Does anyone have any advice or meals they could or would like to share with me? I am st a loss right now. Thank you so much.

KEEP PUSHING PLAY: Kathryn Lehman

Replies

• nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Crockpot! There are tons of recipes on here and pinterest. I usually just cook up a few chicken breasts to shred for the week for a quick stir fry, wrap, or on its own with a side of veggies, not to mention all the other recipes!

I will look for some of my recipes and come back :)
  • jbonow1231
    jbonow1231 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cook in the morning and heat stuff up at night?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,138 Member
    Options
    Los of people cook in batches on their days off and freeze stuff for the week. You can also cook up a bunch of (for instance) chicken, freeze it, and have it available for all kinds of combinations later on.

Soups and stews are good to freeze. Make a salad, have a bowl of chili, done.
  • ambee0803
    ambee0803 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You could cook up several meals at once on the weekends and freeze them to use through the week.
  • shawnamichelle80
    Options
    I don't have the shift you do, but I do work full time. Cooking after a long day at the office is often a pain.
    I use my slow cooker like crazy. There are so many things you can make in the slow cooker. You can even put together the meals (seasoning and all) and zip it up in a ziploc bag and freeze them.

I also cook a lot of chicken at once so I can grab it on the way to work. Obviously, you don't want to eat it if it's more than a couple days in the refrigerator, but it still helps you out a lot for a couple of days.

You can fry off ground beef/ground turkey in 1lb groups and freeze that as well. They are great to throw together for tacos/burritos/taco salad. I like to brown lean beef, add my taco seasoning and some black beans, and then freeze the leftovers. It makes a wonderful, and healthy, taco salad for lunch.

As for quick recipes, here is a link for you:
    http://www.cookinglight.com/food/quick-healthy/20-20-superfast-suppers-00400000038097/

I love the Cooking Light magazine. It has some great recipes. These are some 20 minute meals on their website.
    You can also go to Rachel Ray's website.
  • littlebudgie
    littlebudgie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    What works best for me is to just do all my cooking ahead of time.

I had a very busy week coming up a bit ago, so I made myself a giant batch of curry and stuck it in containers in the fridge. Personally, curry and chili are two dishes that only get better with age (within reason, obviously) so eating it for most of the week was no problem.

Several foods keep just fine while frozen - chili, for instance. Buy a bunch of tupperware containers, make a batch of chili, scoop out individual portions (or enough for however many will be around at supper), and freeze. When you want it, put it in the fridge in the morning to thaw, and when you get home just empty it out into a pot to heat up for supper. Voila, supper with minimal work (on that day, at least).
  • Hotgirl100
    Hotgirl100 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your advice. You all have been very helpful. I will take all your advice to heart.