What's the deal with potassium?

Options
Does anyone meet their daily intake on a regular basis? I can tell that most whole foods are best for potassium and I never even come close, even on good whole-food eating days. And most multivitamins don't contain it, or only contain 1/35 of the DRV. Is the DRV a max, as with fat? Is Potassium fat soluble and toxic in large amounts? I tried to research, but didn't get very far.

Input anyone?

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    are you trying for the minimum 3.5 grams? yes, potassium is fat-soluble. Potassium is found in bananas, citrus fruits, vegetables, grains, fish and unprocessed meats.
  • lisajuly
    lisajuly Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the RDA is for potassium, but i googled and here are some potassium rich foods:

Aside from the aforementioned cantaloupe, potassium rich foods include:
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Apricots
    Avocado
    Pears
    Strawberries
    Mangos
    Papaya
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Chard
    Bell pepper
    Eggplant
    Squash
    Crimini mushrooms
    Brussels sprouts
    Turmeric
    Parsley
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tuna
    Halibut
    Oat Bran
  • melodieRN
    melodieRN Posts: 49
    Options
    Go for the bananna or a glass of oj. Be careful on how much pottassium you take. If you are eating fruits and enough fresh veggies you are probally getting enough. A sign of low pottasium is leg cramps. Too much can cause cardiac irregularites.
  • chrispol
    chrispol Posts: 21
    Options
    You can try:

Controlled Labs Purple Wraath
    NOW Potassium Gluconate

Pay careful attention to how much fruit you are eating daily. Fruit contains a high amount of potassium and if you are supplementing with potassium, overdose is a possibility. Taking too much potassium can result in an upset stomach, flatulence, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and burping. An excessive amount of potassium can result in a heart attack.

Diabetics and people with kidney failure should consult their doctor before using potassium supplements.

LOL I work at GNC......... I hope I helped a little... even though I said sort of what everyone already has
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Too much can cause cardiac irregularites.

So can too little!! I ended up in emerg. because of not enough potassium!!! My heart was tripping out and I ended up with a nose bleed that wouldn't stop and it was all linked to very low potassium!
  • bunny0116
    bunny0116 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone. Especially confirming fat solubility. I'm not particularly worried about anything. I don't have any of the symptoms listed for lack or overabundance. I just noticed since tracking my food how low the potassium was on a daily basis.

I'm still curious about the RDA. Even on a day of eating lots of whole foods (3 pcs fresh fruit, whole fresh veggies at lunch, snack, and dinner), I still don't come close. I did begin taking a supplement since my iron was also low and I do eat processed foods (not a straight whole foodie), but it just has the 99mg potassium that seems standard. Including tracking my vitamin, I've never met the RDA once.

Thanks thanks thanks.
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind - a lot of nutrition labels don't include potassium, so even though it is something you can track on this site your number probably is not accurate. I have added many food items to the database and more times than not have to leave the potassium blank because it is not listed on that item.

Take a look at your foods in your diary and check their nutrition info again... I bet you will find many things that you think would have potassium but say they have 0.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that a lot of items on this site don't have potassium listed in the nutrition facts. According to doctors potassium is present in so many foods that a deficiency is very rare. Don't go by the numbers on this site. An overage of potassium is very dangerous. Talk to your doctor if you think yours is low.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind - a lot of nutrition labels don't include potassium, so even though it is something you can track on this site your number probably is not accurate. I have added many food items to the database and more times than not have to leave the potassium blank because it is not listed on that item.

Take a look at your foods in your diary and check their nutrition info again... I bet you will find many things that you think would have potassium but say they have 0.

I was just thinking the same. It's annoying in that respect :frown:
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the RDA is for potassium, but i googled and here are some potassium rich foods:

Aside from the aforementioned cantaloupe, potassium rich foods include:
    Bananas
    Oranges
    Apricots
    Avocado
    Pears
    Strawberries
    Mangos
    Papaya
    Potatoes
    Tomatoes
    Cucumber
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Chard
    Bell pepper
    Eggplant
    Squash
    Crimini mushrooms
    Brussels sprouts
    Turmeric
    Parsley
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tuna
    Halibut
    Oat Bran

Thank you...it's people like you who put that little extra effort in and make this site absolutely fantastic! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that a lot of the foods I input do not have potassium levels on the label. Therefore, I have drawn the conclusion the logging of this nutrient is under reported.

I have looked on another site for this info, and I am getting a lot more in my daily diet than I originally thought.