Whole milk or skimmed milk?

Options
13»

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    how the hell does one milk oats? sounds like something they'd serve in prison camps :noway:
  • onepillarofsalt
    onepillarofsalt Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    ... and it doesn't fill your body with magic happy unicorns that eat your fat away while you sleep.

:( Nuts.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    A dietician on here told me that full fat milk has more vitamin A & D so that is what I drink now since my D is always a little low.
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    What about chocolate milk?
  • mockchoc
    Options
    Chocolate milk is good for you. My exercise physiologist said it's good for after a workout and I've read lots of other body builders have it too. Good source of protein and carbs.
  • cplanoue41
    cplanoue41 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    People keep repeating that whole milk is good for you...Since when?

Since time began!
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are replying stating that skimmed milk is lower in calories & lower in fat.... I know this!

I actually really like skimmed milk, it's all I've drunk for years, but now that I've damaged my body by under eating and need to boost my calories up to 1900 per day I've decided to switch to whole milk just because it helps me add in calories and reach my 1900 number... after surviving off under 1000 a day I'm actually struggling to get used to eating so much food, but I don't wanna be eating bad processed foods just to reach 1900 which is why I thought whole milk would be an easy way of helping.. along with using olive oil when cooking etc.
  • mockchoc
    Options
    A lot of people are replying stating that skimmed milk is lower in calories & lower in fat.... I know this!

I actually really like skimmed milk, it's all I've drunk for years, but now that I've damaged my body by under eating and need to boost my calories up to 1900 per day I've decided to switch to whole milk just because it helps me add in calories and reach my 1900 number... after surviving off under 1000 a day I'm actually struggling to get used to eating so much food, but I don't wanna be eating bad processed foods just to reach 1900 which is why I thought whole milk would be an easy way of helping.. along with using olive oil when cooking etc.

Great idea plus always remember nuts and nut butters have lots of calories plus are healthy. Coconut and it's oil too and oily fish like salmon has a decent amount of calories plus omega 3's.
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Skimmed has a higher ratio of calcium-ifthat makes a difference to you.

Whole milk fats make you feel fuller so if you are trying to up your calories changing to skimmed may help. I would recommend trying to add some nuts or nut oils to up your calories.
  • ktdiddy
    ktdiddy Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have recently switched to whole milk on my cereal/scrambled eggs/homemade coffee. Still take soy for my flat whites as I am actually allergic to milk but I was quite surprised to find the calorie difference between whole and trim wasn't huge:

30mls reduced fat 15cals
    30mls standard 18cals

Not a huge difference calorie wise but the taste is much better!
  • drgnfly4
    drgnfly4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Whole, raw, and grass fed! That's the way to go!

Milk which is homogenized is a neural toxic poison, and milk which is pasteurized has dramatically reduced nutrients. Same for low or no fat milk which is nothing more than cow water.

Grass fed dairy is high in CLA which is a fat that used to be in everyone's diet and due to our stupidly feeding cattle foods nature never intended has gone away. CLA is clinically proven to dramatically reduce body fat while building lean muscle mass. If you want to lose weight you will drink whole, raw, grass fed dairy, and eat (if you eat meat) grass fed organic beef. My hamburger is 75% lean, meaning 25% Fat! and has more omega 3s than salmon, because it's grass fed!

If you do your homework you will quickly realize that everything that is "bad" about red meat and dairy is only bad because of the modern grain diets and drugs we have the cows on. Eat like your distant ancestors and work like them too and you'll be fit like they were.

I drink Dr. Mercola's Miracle Whey Protein powder because it's made from minimally processed grass fed dairy sources, and sweetened without artificial sweeteners or sugar, and I drink it in whole-raw-grass-fedjersey-cow-milk. It's 160 calories for 8 ounces and worth every bit. The flavor is unreal, and the nutrition is so very high compared with cow water from the dairy section of the grocery store!!! It's so good it's almost a shame to add the protein powder! My milk is a creamy yellow, not a bland white, and the butter is rich yellow almost orange and makes the most amazing popcorn topping!!!

That's healthy eating!
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

Milk which is homogenized is a neural toxic poison, and milk which is pasteurized has dramatically reduced nutrients. Same for low or no fat milk which is nothing more than cow water.

Grass fed dairy is high in CLA which is a fat that used to be in everyone's diet and due to our stupidly feeding cattle foods nature never intended has gone away. CLA is clinically proven to dramatically reduce body fat while building lean muscle mass. If you want to lose weight you will drink whole, raw, grass fed dairy, and eat (if you eat meat) grass fed organic beef. My hamburger is 75% lean, meaning 25% Fat! and has more omega 3s than salmon, because it's grass fed!

If you do your homework you will quickly realize that everything that is "bad" about red meat and dairy is only bad because of the modern grain diets and drugs we have the cows on. Eat like your distant ancestors and work like them too and you'll be fit like they were.

I drink Dr. Mercola's Miracle Whey Protein powder because it's made from minimally processed grass fed dairy sources, and sweetened without artificial sweeteners or sugar, and I drink it in whole-raw-grass-fedjersey-cow-milk. It's 160 calories for 8 ounces and worth every bit. The flavor is unreal, and the nutrition is so very high compared with cow water from the dairy section of the grocery store!!! It's so good it's almost a shame to add the protein powder! My milk is a creamy yellow, not a bland white, and the butter is rich yellow almost orange and makes the most amazing popcorn topping!!!

That's healthy eating!
    How rich are you that you can afford this grass fed, 100% organic anything? Most of us have to stick to a budget and cannot pay ten dollars for a gallon of milk.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

<snip>
    How rich are you that you can afford this grass fed, 100% organic anything? Most of us have to stick to a budget and cannot pay ten dollars for a gallon of milk.

No kidding! We pay $4 per gallon for the store brand of regular milk.
  • twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options

imo for losing weight semi skimmed or half fat depending what side of the water you are is a good choice, whole milk is definately a valid option but may soak up too many calories you'd rather eat when you go for some intense workouts

just a suggestion, and i've noticed quite a few don't liek the idea but a protein shake would be a good option for you, adding roughly 30 - 40g of protein to your daily intake (made with milk of any fat %) ETA: a common misconception is it's expensive but you're talking 60 pence (GBP) per serving for some of the more expensive brands
  • drgnfly4
    drgnfly4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Rich?! Hah! That's so funny! You'd be laughing yourself if you knew our story!

I have not had a pay check in 8 or more months! I have had money struggles for the past 4-5 years! I do not collect unemployment, I do not accept outside help from church or government. I manage my resources and have been blessed! When it comes to health it is ALWAYS a challenge deciding which organic products we can afford to live without so we can afford the money for something else. We often have to forgo eating as well as we know we should because money is a limiting factor. And we actually own shares in some grass fed jersey cows, so we generally have been getting our milk for about four dollars a gallon!

Think outside the box!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The fats in milk aren't going to hurt you as long as you're not eating like 1000 calories of just animal based fats. The occasional piece or two of bacon *gasp* won't kill you either. I usually drink 1-2% depending on what I have around the house but wouldn't be opposed to whole. I used to drink skim all the time too.