Vegetarians?

Options
2»

Replies

• sgcorrie
    sgcorrie Posts: 22 Member
    Options

I know I may possibly get flack from this but its not that I personally didn't like meat, but the fact that it was making me physically sick everytime I ate it. Horrible stomach pains that would keep me up all night.

This is exactly why I went vegetarian 6 years ago!

I'm vegan, have been for almost 2 years and love every minute of it. I always thought I would miss cheese, but it's really not a big thing for me!
  • terraskye
    terraskye Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been lacto-ovo- vegetarian for 7 years now. I find that I have been relying too much on dairy for my protein though. Its time to step up the other sources for me!
    Good luck, and great name Terraskye- is your name really Terra? I have only met two others in my life!

I wish:) My name is Fiona though
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    The issue is the quality of meat in our system. Industrial meat just is... horrible. The system is sick, and the meat is sick, so we get sick from it. I'd be happy to have meat once or twice a week if it was 100% grass fed beef or chicken that were outside their whole lives... Meat isn't inherently horrible for us, but generally having it too much, as Americans often do, will make you sick sick sick.

The other issue of course is the moral... people can't deal with the killing part of eating meat. Animals do it, take life for food, all the time, but I think we have issues with our own brutality and animality. Factory farming and completely cutting people off from how they get their food is definitely not the way to go, though...
  • terraskye
    Options
    The issue is the quality of meat in our system. Industrial meat just is... horrible. The system is sick, and the meat is sick, so we get sick from it. I'd be happy to have meat once or twice a week if it was 100% grass fed beef or chicken that were outside their whole lives... Meat isn't inherently horrible for us, but generally having it too much, as Americans often do, will make you sick sick sick.

The other issue of course is the moral... people can't deal with the killing part of eating meat. Animals do it, take life for food, all the time, but I think we have issues with our own brutality and animality. Factory farming and completely cutting people off from how they get their food is definitely not the way to go, though...

Unfortunately for me even 100% grass feed beef and local free outdoor raised chickens made me ill too:( I dont have anything personally against eating it and I still prepare it for my iron gut husband but its just something that isn't for me now. To be on the safe side we only buy and consume confirmed eggs from cage free outdoor raised chicken..the eggs don't make me sick which is good because I love eggs:)

I do agree with what you are saying though
  • terraskye
    Options

Unfortunately for me even 100% grass feed beef and local free outdoor raised chickens made me ill too:( I dont have anything personally against eating it and I still prepare it for my iron gut husband but its just something that isn't for me now. To be on the safe side we only buy and consume confirmed eggs from cage free outdoor raised chicken..the eggs don't make me sick which is good because I love eggs:)

I do agree with what you are saying though

Its dumb we can't edit our posts....I know people are vegetarian or vegans for a lot of different reasons but mine is for health plus after watching Food Inc I was quite disgusted by the way animals are treated to feed humans. Im not going to rag on my hubby for his choice to continue eating meat but I'll make every effort to at least make sure it comes from the least cruel sources possible:)..its the least I can do
  • BlueLikeJazz
    BlueLikeJazz Posts: 219 Member
    Options

The difference, though, is that carnivorous animals do it out of necessity. Humans do not need to eat meat (and in fact most of us are doing more harm than good to ourselves by doing so) to survive.

I certainly don't strive to force my beliefs on anyone else. My husband is a meat-eater and refuses to eat much of my veggie-fare, and I don't chastise him for his choice at all. I respect meat-eaters' choice in the same way I desire them to respect mine. I do wish, though, that more people would inform themselves of what is in their food, especially their animal products, where it comes from, and also be more aware of some of the disgusting practices involved in factory farming. I've heard numerous meat-eaters say "I just don't think about it," or "I just don't WANT TO think about it" in regard to these things. And I'll admit, I was the same way, but my conscience finally got to me. I honestly feel happier, healthier and more at peace without animals on my plate.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Vegetarian here...almost vegan. Cheese is the hardest to give up, there really isn't a decent substitute...when I was fully vegan, I just learned to live without it, pizza is actually quite good with red sauce and a ton of veggies :tongue: . My DH is an omni as is my 5 year old. My 12 and 9 year olds are both lacto-ovo (occasionally pesca-fish). I am an ethical vegetarian. I actually like the taste of meat, just couldn't in good conscience keep eating it, when I knew that is fundamentally wrong. I will only buy grass fed beef or buffalo for the meat eaters in my family, but I won't prepare it, I can't :sad:
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    No-- the transition was pretty easy for me for a few reasons.

Although I had considered it for a while, I decided overnight to just stop eating all dairy, which was the last non-vegan element in my diet. One night, I ate pizza and ice cream and felt so sick afterward that I said, "Enough!" and just gave it up.

A second thing that made my transition so easy was the overwhelmingly positive response from my body! I felt better. My skin cleared up quickly. And, most surprisingly, my allergies went away. I used to take prescription and over-the-counter allergy medicines all year round to manage my indoor and outdoor allergies. When I gave up dairy, all of my allergies disappeared--I haven't taken any medication for them in years.

I do admit that the biggest challenge in being vegan comes from how other people see you. They're either interested or they're annoyed by vegans. The second challenge is, of course, finding vegan-friendly foods in restaurants. But this is becoming easier as more restaurants post menus and ingredients online. And, if you're polite and patient, you can ALWAYS get the chef to make something simple and delicious for you.

I'm vegan for both ethical and health reasons-- I'd never want to go back to a non-vegan lifestyle. It's an integral part of who I am and what I believe. :smile:
  • Jane1848
    Jane1848 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've been Vegan for 6 years, Vegetarian 10+ years. I'd never go back. :smile:

I'm not an "evangelical vegan" (meaning, I won't preach "vegetarianism" at you). But, I'd love to share anything about my recipes and experience.

I'm glad to see other vegetarians on the message boards! I live in rural Northeast PA and it's rare that I meet another vegetarian/vegan. :heart:

Did you find it heard going vegan from being a vegetarian?

I just posted in response to this question....but it didn't look like a reply...! Sorry. :heart:
  • maccabeth
    maccabeth Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Oh I wish they carried Morningstar products here in Canada..I really miss that..I heard the Lightline products (smartbacon) was good too..I can pretty much get most Yves products and some Boca stuff. I'm going to a store tomorrow that has their own line of meatless too that I want to try.

Can you get Quorn? We are just starting to get that here in the States, but I know in England they have TONS of Quorn products and I like them a lot more than Yves (it's a poor substitute for Morningstar! Sorry, Yves fans! lol) From my experience, you get more UK products in Canada than we do here. Worth searching out. :)

And it's easy to go veg even without those products. SOOO many easy veg meals to make. I love sauteed vegs (asparagus, any leafy greens, mushrooms and onions and peppers to make a veggie hoagie.) Oven roasting stuff is also nice since you can use less oil.

Good luck! Feel free to add me, too, and/or PM for any thing. :)