Can't fit in enough cals for 1200, forget the roadmap!

Options
I started MFP a few weeks ago. I'm 53, 150cm, weighing 70 or 71 kg (around 155lb) to start (dodgy scales) and need to get down to around 50kg for healthy weight range. MFP put me on 1200 per day, and I am always under my calorie goal. I don't feel like eating any more than that.
Reading through the message boards, I came across the road map topics, and did the calculations, which gave me a BMR of 1370, and assuming Light Activity maintenance I should be consuming 1885 cals, so even if I reduced that to 1500, I just don't see how I could do it. i ried last night to squeeze in something more, I had three dry rice cakes and a banana, but I didn't enjoy extra eating. I felt really blah in the belly. It only took me up to 1270.
Most of my meals are just veggies and rice or flat bread, a bit of cheese or steak for protein, and i don't feel like eating between meals.
I'm not doing a lot of hard physical activity, but I'm walking every day for about an hour up and down a couple of steepish hills, and ride my bike down to the shops and back. i move around a bit at work. I'll start doing a kettle bell routine when the things get delivered. So far i don't normally add my exercise in to MFP so I don't have to eat back exercise calories, I figured they were considered when i told it i had a light active lifetsyle.
My concern is that if I were to go to 1500 cals it would feel as if I was eating as much as I was when I gained this weight. I didn't get this weight on by eating too little, I gained it by eating too much! I understand what the information says about starvation mode, but it seems like such a lot of food, and I have not missed eating that much food for the last few weeks.

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Then stick with 1200 cals of nutrient rich foods. I've been eating 1200 calories for a while and since I joined MFP Jan 17, I've lost over 22 lbs.

ETA: Also haven't lost muscle or hit any nutrient deficiencies and have only had a couple slow weeks with respect to weight loss.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Eat foods higher in calories, instead of those three rice cakes you could have had nuts or a tablespoon of peanut butter and raisins with the banana.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's the losing muscle mass part that could be a problem.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Add some of the same foods you were eating before you couldn't reach your limit. It's not like you were born not being able to eat 1200 cals...
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Well eat your low calorie diet and pray you don't stall out, lose muscle mass, and slow down your metabolism.
    Harsh but accurate.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Well eat your low calorie diet and pray you don't stall out, lose muscle mass, and slow down your metabolism.

This plus you really need to start doing a bit of lifting to build your lean body mass. I struggled with the same issue. Once I started cardio, I really struggled to eat all that I was supposed to eat and my weight loss was really stalling (it slowed to about one pound a month). Then I started lifting and found that I was not only losing faster but I was gaining more of an appetite. I am feeling so much better. I am completely off my blood pressure medication now (and I was taking the max of two different ones before). Good luck!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    My concern is that if I were to go to 1500 cals it would feel as if I was eating as much as I was when I gained this weight. I didn't get this weight on by eating too little, I gained it by eating too much! I understand what the information says about starvation mode, but it seems like such a lot of food, and I have not missed eating that much food for the last few weeks.

tumblr_mbt7oerWxu1rxaypuo1_400.gif

No way you gained any weight at 1500 calories. I say eat what you like and good luck to you. You obviously have read the roadmap and know what you should be doing.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It really isn't that much food... I am same height and nearly same weight as you and I eat 1400 or so net... Add an extra cup of rice, eat more fruits, have some eggs, drink milk, have a 400 calorie smoothie. If i eat that less I also find I have no energy to excercise or do anything and that just defeats the purpose of healthy living.
  • Shalenes
    Shalenes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I understand where you are at. I started the eat more to lose more concept just last week. I started in Jan and have lost 34# so far. I was in a plateau stage before last week but lost 3# last week after increasing my calories from around 1200 to 1500. My main goal is to lose weight so I will try anything to make that happen. I felt yucky at first but I have tried to make the extra calories as nutritious as possible so I feel better the last few days.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you got overweight then obviously you were eating more than your TDEE. It makes no sense to me that you are now suddenly unable to eat a reasonable amount of calories. Eat food that is higher in calories, nuts, dairy, avocados, etc.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: We have been conditioned for YEARS that we must eat Diet Food,or eat just a Tiny bit of anything that tastes good or we can't lose weight. The Truth is almost exactly the opposite of that.
    But it will take you some time to wrap your mind around the concept of Eating More To Weigh Less.
    Start out with an extra serving of Nuts or Avocado as StephanieHuns suggested. Make sure that your Protein is within the Range, especially when you add Strength Training to your Routine. Even Milk, or Cheese will add some Healthy Calories without much bulk, and they both have Protein which is an added Bonus.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone in this galaxy would really enjoy eating three dry rice cakes. Why would you eat those things to add calories?

Eat something that actually tastes good and has a bit more going for it in the way of calories and nutrition--avocado, nut butter, nuts, eggs, cheese, yogurt, meat, etc.

Like someone else said, you don't need to eat "diet food" to lose weight. I've lost all this weight eating all sorts of tasty stuff--you'd be surprised. No boring chicken breast/steamed veggie dinners at all. Certainly no dry rice cakes or anything like that, either.

When you start swinging your kettlebell, I think you'll find you're going to need to eat more. If you don't, you're going to struggle with your workouts and it won't be fun.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone in this galaxy would really enjoy eating three dry rice cakes. Why would you eat those things to add calories?
    My thoughts exactly! :laugh: Bleh!
    Eat something that actually tastes good and has a bit more going for it in the way of calories and nutrition--avocado, nut butter, nuts, eggs, cheese, yogurt, meat, etc.

Like someone else said, you don't need to eat "diet food" to lose weight. I've lost all this weight eating all sorts of tasty stuff--you'd be surprised. No boring chicken breast/steamed veggie dinners at all. Certainly no dry rice cakes or anything like that, either.

When you start swinging your kettlebell, I think you'll find you're going to need to eat more. If you don't, you're going to struggle with your workouts and it won't be fun.
    Great advice! I've been eating over 1800 calories a day for over a year, and steadily losing the fat all during this time. I have absolutely NO problems hitting 1800+ calories a day - and it's not all junk food! My diary is open (and you will see junk food over the past few days - big b-day party for my aunt this weekend, family in town, etc, etc. :bigsmile: ), have a look if you like.

As the person I quoted said, eat those calorie dense foods - small portions pack good calories in, and you don't have to stuff your face or choke down three rice cakes. :tongue: Nuts & nut butter, eggs, cheeses, avocados (YUM), full fat dairy, olive and coconut oils in cooking and for dressings - no "diet" foods - eat the real stuff.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    If you got overweight then obviously you were eating more than your TDEE. It makes no sense to me that you are now suddenly unable to eat a reasonable amount of calories. Eat food that is higher in calories, nuts, dairy, avocados, etc.

I found that I had the same problem when I eliminated sugar and starch and started to eat nutrient-dense food--especially when I started doing cardio. I think it likely has to do with reducing leptin-resistance. Also, OP is 53---age probably has an effect. In addition, she is likely less active than a younger person.
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options

This!!
  • rellietay
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. i just kind of gradually crept up into being overweight over about 10 years, kids moving out and dogs dying meant less need to move, and i didn't change my eating habits.
    LJ cannon thankyou, I think you have made a good pointn re nutrient rich foods. I think I have made my food diary public now, i am under on cals but nearly always over on carbs - i have food allergies so no nuts, eggs, avocado, shellfish, fish, most meat and i have to limit dairy to yoghurt and skim or light milk. I think by decades of conditioning I have tended to eat a lot of carbs so I guess now on 1200 cals that is filling me up too quickly.
    I'll get baked beans tomorrow and see how I go.
    Is there a reason for the hostility in some of the responses?
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. i just kind of gradually crept up into being overweight over about 10 years, kids moving out and dogs dying meant less need to move, and i didn't change my eating habits.
    LJ cannon thankyou, I think you have made a good pointn re nutrient rich foods. I think I have made my food diary public now, i am under on cals but nearly always over on carbs - i have food allergies so no nuts, eggs, avocado, shellfish, fish, most meat and i have to limit dairy to yoghurt and skim or light milk. I think by decades of conditioning I have tended to eat a lot of carbs so I guess now on 1200 cals that is filling me up too quickly.
    I'll get baked beans tomorrow and see how I go.
    Is there a reason for the hostility in some of the responses?

In my experience this is a hostile forum, we should be supporting each other not being so nasty. But some seem to want to tell everyone what to do and not support and help.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    If you feel that the BMR estimate is too high, you could try the calculators here

http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

I find that for me, the Mifflin-St Jeor (which that page says is probably more accurate) and the Katch-McArdle (based on fat %) are both significantly lower than the Harris-Benedict calculation. If I put your figures in there, I get
    BMR 1215
    TDEE 1670
    TDEE - 20% 1336
    for the Mifflin-St Jeor calculation for light activity. Does that seem more reasonable? I'm not saying that's what you should eat (I'm no expert at all), but maybe play around with the numbers, and think about it. I don't know if you've used the spreadsheet - I can't get it to work for me - but that might be a good way of working out your activity category as you might be a bit more than lighly active. I'm not sure. (Personally, I have actually set my calories slightly higher than these calculations and am still losing weight - perhaps my activity level is slightly more than I think it is).

As for putting on weight on 1500 calories a day, it IS technically possible! Maybe you were eating a bit more than that but I completely sympathise if you weren't eating loads but still gained - exactly the same thing happened to me while eating healthy, home-cooked food in normal portions. After joining MFP and reading roadmap, etc., I worked out that my sedentary TDEE at my start weight was only 1316 (and I was pretty sedentary at that point, following some illness)! What an eye-opener! No wonder I gained so easily. I would have gained on 1500 a day, although I think I was eating more than that - probably more like 1800.

You will probably get used to eating more, as you've done it before to gain the weight. I have found that I can easily eat all my calories! If I was really struggling, which I'm not, I might add in some nuts, slightly bigger portions, hot milk at bedtime, etc. But I think once you start doing it will be easier than you think. The thing to remember is that the amount you can eat will drop as you lose weight, if you want to keep the same deficit. The 1500 or 1336 or whatever it is the MAXIMUM you will have to eat while losing weight, as you'll be recalculating every 10lb or so. In fact, you'll probably find that your maintenance calories at goal are on the low side.

If you go for it, I would suggest looking at your weight loss monthly, rather than weekly. If you have a lowish TDEE, you will have a lowish deficit. I'm quite used to losing slowly, but I find it's very steady and consistent.

Best of luck, and do add me if you like - I'm a bit shorter and older than most people here, and I think it can be a little bit different for us (even though the maths is the same!).
  • rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    In my experience this is a hostile forum, we should be supporting each other not being so nasty. But some seem to want to tell everyone what to do and not support and help.
    Let's agree to disagree. In my experience, this forum is by no means hostile. Some people, however, confuse truth with hostility. Yes, some offer the horse golden bits in their replies, but that doesn't necessarily make it any better.
  • juliesmithdiet
    Options
    Let's agree to disagree. In my experience, this forum is by no means hostile. Some people, however, confuse truth with hostility. Yes, some offer the horse golden bits in their replies, but that doesn't necessarily make it any better.

We will as ypu say have to agree to differ as I have seen people chased away from the forum, supportive forum would never allow that to happen.