Always over my sugar goal - just how bad is it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually go over my sugar too...I've tried to switch a few things out that I know are high in sugar, but I ignore sugar from foods like fruit, yoghurt, etc and just try to avoid obvious ones like chocolate! But even low calorie options like Slim Fast, Weight Watchers etc still have a lot of sugar and it hasn't affected me in the past year. Any processed foods are going to be high in sodium too which can be a problem for me as I've found sodium seems to have a bigger effect, I barely hit half my goal for sodium for the day, but if I go over I will gain a little water weight that takes a few days to go. I just try and drink lots of water if I'm having a high-sodium day.

As long as you're getting your sugar intake from healthy fresh foods that are good for you, I really don't think it's a problem IMO.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I suggest you weigh your fruit. I went over my calorie limit by selecting 'average plum' or 'large nectarine', rather than weighing each piece. Big mistake! A medium plum was listed as 30 calories, and I believed it. However, when I started weighing each piece of fruit, I discovered I was underestimating my fruit consumption by 300 plus calories a day.
  • JezziedotM
    JezziedotM Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The book was probably Sweet Poison by David Gillespie. He is a lawyer & put together research on sugar. Basically sugar and sugar complexes. Glucose is good. It is what we use for energy. We have feedback for hunger. Fructose is bad. Highly addictive and has different metabolic pathway & has no hunger feedback. Sucrose (cane sugar) is 50% glucose / 50% fructose. So the evidence is pretty strong. Cut out all foods with added sugar. Have fruit, but have it whole. Avoid any 'lite' products as they are generally full of sucrose. Brother in law follows this & is loosing 1kg per week.

Yeah that was the book!
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    This goals are just arbitrary numbers - you can customise them to suit you, or just turn off.

If you stick to a reasonable carb goal your sugars should naturally stay in check.
    This goals are just arbitrary numbers - you can customise them to suit you, or just turn off.

If you stick to a reasonable carb goal your sugars should naturally stay in check.

And just in case there was any confusion, always remember:

This goals are just arbitrary numbers - you can customise them to suit you, or just turn off. If you stick to a reasonable carb goal your sugars should naturally stay in check.

Oops! To be clear, I didn't post that three times, no idea what went on there :-/
  • hugapanda
    Options
    Truly, the only reason you need to keep an eye on your fruit sugar intake is if you are diabetic, type 2. (I know nothing about type 1, thats a whole different story). Diabetics have to be more aware of sugar, from all sources and even limit their fruit intake. A nutritionist and your doctor can help you figure out what is good for you. When my diet is plant based or mostly plant based (I only eat meat 3 times a week), with little to no processed foods, fruits are a lot more welcome.

I subtract my total fiber intake number from my total sugar intake number and use that for my sugar number. And that used to be what I would factor my medicine on.