Too much eggs and fruit?

Can you eat too many eggs in one day? I typically eat like 4-5 eggs almost every day .. Sometimes the whole egg, but sometimes only the white. Also, I eat a lot of fruits, 4-5 aday as well. There are so many discussions going on whether or not the high sugar in fruits makes fruits "bad" for you, and since I'm having so many per day I thought that this may be a reason to why I don't lose any weight.

Please tell me what you think of eating that much eggs and fruits. (And preferably say that it is totally okay to eat as many eggs as you'd like in one day, that the fat in them don't affect your body too much.)

Replies

• snufs
    snufs Posts: 78
    Anyone who knows?
  • domdoan
    domdoan Posts: 30
    cholesterol problems arrive when you eat a lot of whole eggs. fruit is awesome and i count them in my carb macros.

eating too many fruits can possibly make you hungry through out the day because it is a fast digesting carb.
    you need to balance your slow digesting carbs like brown rice or sweet potatoes with your fast digesting carbs fruits
  • snufs
    snufs Posts: 78
    I see, thank you for responding!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    the issue folks bring up about fruit is that they can contain a lot of unwanted sugar. But as long as sugar isn't somethign that worries you, I wouldn't be concerned about your fruit intake.

Regarding eggs, the link between dietary cholesterol such as that found in eggs and bloodstream cholesterol levels is a point of debate in the medical community. The growing consensus seems to be that some people are more sensitive to ditery cholesterol levels than others (see for example http://www.mensfitness.com/nutrition/what-to-eat/eating-too-many-eggs & http://www.livestrong.com/article/227162-can-you-eat-too-many-eggs/) so you might want to monitor your cholesterol levels to see if you are at risk.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Unless you are diabetic, don't worry about your sugar.

Unless you have a medical reason for needing to watch your cholesterol, don't worry about the eggs.
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    According to the British Heart Foundation, it's not eggs that are the problem but the way you cook them :smile:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/default.aspx?page=12920
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    For me personally, I have to watch my sugar to lose weight so I restrict that to one or less fruits a day. Although it is natural sugar (and much better for you than any other kind of sugar) it still gives you an insulin spike.

And as I am trying to eat primal - eat all the eggs you want .
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member

Unless you have a medical reason for needing to watch your cholesterol, don't worry about the eggs.

So one should only care about diabetes and high cholesterol if one has diabetes and high cholesterol?
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member

So one should only care about diabetes and high cholesterol if one has diabetes and high cholesterol?

Eating too much fruit will not give you diabetes. Diabetes comes in two forms; Type 1, which is an autoimmune disease, and Type 2, which can be genetic and is often brought on by being extremely overweight and/or having a very poor diet. If you were very overweight and drinking 12 cans of coke a day and eating 8 snickers bars, I'd say you were pushing your luck. 4 pieces of fruit is not going to harm you.

As for eggs, there are too many conflicting studies for anyone to give a definite answer. The most recent study says that eggs do not in fact give you high cholesterol. Eggs are also a good, healthy source of protein and good fats.

So in short, yes, unless they have a medical reason for needing to limit these things, the OP will be fine.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member

Eating too much fruit will not give you diabetes. Diabetes comes in two forms; Type 1, which is an autoimmune disease, and Type 2, which can be genetic and is often brought on by being extremely overweight and/or having a very poor diet. If you were very overweight and drinking 12 cans of coke a day and eating 8 snickers bars, I'd say you were pushing your luck. 4 pieces of fruit is not going to harm you.

As for eggs, there are too many conflicting studies for anyone to give a definite answer. The most recent study says that eggs do not in fact give you high cholesterol. Eggs are also a good, healthy source of protein and good fats.

So in short, yes, unless they have a medical reason for needing to limit these things, the OP will be fine.

Thank you for explaining to me diabetes and the conflicting studies of cholesterol in eggs.
  • verdancyhime
    verdancyhime Posts: 237 Member
    There's a lot of good info ITT, but can I just say that I despise people who eat egg whites only?
    I'm willing to bet that if you eat more whole eggs, you'll eat fewer eggs overall and be less hungry. Not to mention that you won't be throwing half your meal in the garbage.

There are plenty of other sources of lean protein if you are concerned about what's in eggs, or what's in egg yolks- fat free cheeses, lean cuts of meat, beans, tofu, etc. Try putting some of those into your meal instead of just the white of the egg and see how it goes.
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Why do the simplest questions cause debates far beyond their scope. Eating fruit every day will not cause you a problem, eating 4-5 eggs a day will not cause a problem. There are diet plans that call for 20 eggs a day. Those people have no problems. There is a lifestyle called fruitism where they only eat fruit, no problems. The mass amounts of sugar or mass amount of egg yolks you would need to cause problems are far far far beyond anything being talked about here.
  • domdoan
    domdoan Posts: 30
    after thinking about the number of people that drinks liters of soda everyday...i dont see your addiction to fruit a big problem.

but like i said, slow digesting carbs will keep you satisfied through the day.