Loosing motivation!!!

Options
So I had my weigh in day on Friday and gained a pound!!!! I was so gutted!!
I stuck to my calorie goal for the whole week (1200 calories a day), however, Easter weekend I cheated a little and had 'bad' foods but I still didn't go over my calorie goal.

The previous week I weighed myself early in the day on an empty stomach and this time I weighed myself before my last meal - so I wonder if this may have something to do with it...

Anyhow, its made me wonder why I bother and led to a very awful weekend of bad food :( but I don't know what more I can do!!

I also need advice on 30DS, just ordered it and wondered if you all could give me some more info and tips on it!!

Replies

• GemskiB
    GemskiB Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Always weight at the same time on the same scale in the same circumstances. For me it is first thing, after I have been to the loo and with no clothes on. I like to keep it consistent. And one pound is tiny, it's easily some fluctuation. It could be a salty meal the day before and holding water or TOM coming up, it all affects us - I can "put on" 4lbs after a sdalty meal! Don't be disheartened, keep at it :)
  • kdub67
    kdub67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Always weight at the same time on the same scale in the same circumstances. For me it is first thing, after I have been to the loo and with no clothes on. I like to keep it consistent. And one pound is tiny, it's easily some fluctuation. It could be a salty meal the day before and holding water or TOM coming up, it all affects us - I can "put on" 4lbs after a sdalty meal! Don't be disheartened, keep at it :)

^^This... don't worry, one pound is tiny, and our weight fluctuates by a few pounds here and there. It doesn't mean you "gained a pound" at all.

What do you want to know about 30DS? My husband and I started doing it a month ago...I only made it through four days (was incredibly bored with the repetition, and really couldn't stomach Jillian) but he loves it and has kept at it. What, exactly, are you wondering about it?
  • KatieJane10x
    KatieJane10x Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been using the electronic scales in Boots as I thought they would be most accurate but obviously I'm unable to go to boots first thing in the morning on an empty stomach! I own some really cheap scales and so thinking about buying some digital ones?!

I suppose you're right, just disheartening when you can't possibly do anymore!!! :)
  • KatieJane10x
    Options
    Oh, really?! I heard it was meant to be really good?! I thought I'd give it ago as I've never felt comfortable exercising publicly!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    You're eating at a deficit, so you're not gaining weight. You weight will naturally fluctuate within a range of several pounds, depending on a number of factors. You can actually have lost fat, but weigh in higher because of differing circumstances. Try not to let little scale variations like this have a big effect on your motivation. This should be about long term changes. You bother because it's important to your life, your health, and your happiness. That's worth fighting for, I would think.

On bad food, if you're generally eating a balanced diet and eating at a reasonable deficit, you don't need to worry about the occasional "bad" foods. I have lots of friends who have lost/are losing weight and still have a place in their diet for treats.

On the 30DS, I'd say this - make sure you're eating enough. You haven't provided much info on your stats, but If you're looking to engage in a vigorous exercise program like that, 1200 calories will not be enough. Make sure your calorie goal is reasonable, and you eat back a decent portionof your exercise calories. Too many people get caught in the trap of thinking they need to starve themselves to lose weight.
  • KatieJane10x
    Options
    I want to up my calories because when I do eventually get to my goal weight I obviously won't be eating so few and I know I'll end up putting it all back on again... But I worry that I'll put weight on if I up it now! The 1200 goal was given by MFP.
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just keep going and try to make better choices than you did before - nobody is perfect least of all me. You can have some bad foods but try to make it fit your calorie goals. I try for 80 percent clean. check your numbers the in place of a road map thread is a good read. Don't give up just get back up and keep trying success will come.

I tryed 30DS on youtube but its not really for me good luck with it though.

ETA do you know your TDEE and BMR
  • ihad
    Options
    I want to up my calories because when I do eventually get to my goal weight I obviously won't be eating so few and I know I'll end up putting it all back on again... But I worry that I'll put weight on if I up it now! The 1200 goal was given by MFP.

The MFP goal comes from certain assumptions you give it. Things to think about:

How much weight a week are you trying to lose?

Is that realistic given your current BMI and how much you want to lose?

How active are you, and are you giving yourself enough fuel to support that activity?

Are you eating at a level you can consistently sustain, or do you feel overly restricted and inclined to regularly cheat?

Your height, body frame, TDEE, BMR, current weight/BMI, and goal weight/BMI would be important factors to consider in setting a calorie goal.
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I gain 4 pounds in a day sometimes. I like to weigh more than most suggest. I like numbers and trends. I weigh twice daily. Morning is always way less than evening. Weigh tomorrow morning and count that if you are using the scale to measure your success. Oh and make sure to pee before weighing.
  • KatieJane10x
    Options
    My TDEE is 2152 & my BMR is 1571.55!

Just ordered some fancy new scales so will now be sticking to them from now on!!!
  • KatieJane10x
    Options

The MFP goal comes from certain assumptions you give it. Things to think about:

How much weight a week are you trying to lose?

Is that realistic given your current BMI and how much you want to lose?

How active are you, and are you giving yourself enough fuel to support that activity?

Are you eating at a level you can consistently sustain, or do you feel overly restricted and inclined to regularly cheat?

Your height, body frame, TDEE, BMR, current weight/BMI, and goal weight/BMI would be important factors to consider in setting a calorie goal.

Just posted my TDEE and BMR - not that this means anything to me!! My BMI is 26.6.

Thanks for all your help!!!!
  • ihad
    Options

Just ordered some fancy new scales so will now be sticking to them from now on!!!

I'd definitely look into upping your calories - take a look at the link I posted. Think about trying to lose less a week. You'll have more energy.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options

If these are your numbers then you are eating too less at 1200. I am the same BMR and TDEE. I am eating 1400 calories with a Carb/protein/fat ratio of 40/30/30 and eating some of my exercise calories back. I have been seeing good results (scale wise and inch loss too) I would suggest up your calories to 1400 for a week or 2 and observe how your body reacts.

With 30DS - I tried it but I was so sore on Day 3 and 4 that it completely set me off and i left it. I tried doing it again - like 5 times atleast but always felt really sore after 3-4 days that i wasn't even able to get down from bed without the ooh aah ouch.
    But I have seen some people get amazing results if they follow the whole 30 days - so if you want to try it, go ahead and see how your body takes it.

Just another thing - don't be shy of exercising in public - I am also the fat girl who feels completely out of place while working out in a gym next to a perfect figure girl sweating and running on a treadmill but i realised that no one bothers what you are doing. everyone is concious about themselves. And for me I actually get motivated in the gym looking at other people workout :smile:
  • ItsVJ
    ItsVJ Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I ran into this very problem a few weeks ago. Among changes like keeping a closer eye on my carb and sodium intake, I also decided to weigh only once a month. That way, I'm truly forcing myself to concentrate on FITNESS, not weight. It's made a big difference for me - I'm finally truly building my life around being healthy instead of worrying about a pound here and a pound there. And the first time I weighed after making that change, I had lost 7.5 pounds!! That was a real boost builder!!
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Given your numbers and that you dont have that much to lose I would reduce your calorie deficit ideally set for a number above your BMR and less than TDEE. You will lose more slowly but you should expect more consistant results and have more energy. Its also much easier to stick too.
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    1 pound isn't much, I honestly think that weighing too much for most people (even when they say they like to see the flucuations) is damaging. I would wait a week and weigh in again and see how it is. Now that you have a scale that you can be consistent with, the fluctuations might not be as bad, but if you're weighing in every day it's hard to celebrate the big losses! If I don't weigh in for 9 days and then lose 2 pounds I know it's from my hard work. If I weighed in daily and lost say, .4 pounds, I'd just chalk it up to taking a poo or something and I wouldn't be able to be as proud.

I am trying 30DS. I really don't like listening to Jillian, so hopefully I'll get it down quickly where I can just have music over it and do my own thing. It hurts, and I did have to modify it since jumping jacks hurt my ankle, but in 20 minutes I'm sweating more and my heart rate is up more than the circuit at the gym. I'm going to try to do it every other day, if you're not going to the gym or working out in other ways, it's a really efficient work out.
  • lizzyxo
    lizzyxo Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't lose motivation!!! Yesterday I hopped on the scale and it said 167 (i had an off day later on that day), today I hopped on the scale this morning and it said 171!!! 4 lbs of water weight over night??! If you have access to a sauna, it is really good to keep the number lower but if you are working your butt off and you don't see numbers changing after a while, it is probably muscle. it's crazy how 1 lb of muscle looks tiny compared to 1 lb of fat. Also, drink a TON of water, that will help flush everything out and keep your body feeling amazing. Also if you are craving something while watching tv or doing something where it is usually a habit to eat, just keep drinking glasses of water, the motion of it has helped me realize "wow, i am not bored and I am not consuming any extra calories and i feel good!"

This is what I have learned from a longgg time of trying to lose weight and never sticking to it because the scale kept going up and I thought I was failing. Everyone could see that I was losing fat in different places all over my body but I was like "nope, the scale says I've lost nothing" Well I was wrong! Keep going! It should go down after a while if you have a good amount of fat to lose(like me) but once you start building muscle, the number will probably stay for a bit.

best of luck!! feel free to add me as a friend!
  • momsontherun001
    Options
    Weigh only in the morning...same time...same place...same clothes....same scale.:)
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'll echo what others have said about BMR +TDEE...you'll probably find 1,400-1,500 is easier to manage. The MFP default for 2lbs / wk loss is 1,200 calories but most need more than that.

As for 30 DS, do this DVD! It's awesome and for 20 minutes a day you'll have great results. Here is a thread with some before / afters for you to look through:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/345347-i-want-everyone-s-30-day-shred-results-pics-please