Beyond Frustrated

Options
I am getting so freaking frustrated.

I have a lot of problems with weakness on my left side. I have Lyme Disease which caused nerve damage on that side and it also caused a stroke about 7 years ago that just created more issues on that side. I've come far enough that, just looking at me, you wouldn't know anything was wrong unless I'm super tired or you know me VERY well...but I still have problems with weakness on that side.

I thought strength training would help.

I've been at this seriously for about 4 months now, and I STILL can't lift with anything heavier than 10 pound dumbbells because of that arm. My right side is getting stronger and my left side just seems to be staying the same.

I guess I should just be happy that I can do any of it, but I want to feel like I'm progressing. I want to feel like I'm getting stronger. I want to feel like I'm not going to be handicapped by this for the rest of my life.

Replies

• hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Even if you can't lift more than 10lbs with the weaker side, does it feel easier/lighter? Do you fit into your clothes better? Does everyday activity (carrying groceries, lifting up a kid etc.) feel easier? If any of these are true, then you are progressing - just not in the most obvious way you were hoping for. I hope you eventually get the kind of progress you were hoping for as well!
  • Vain_Witch
    Vain_Witch Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely progressing with losing weight and inches. I'm just not progressing with strength.

At first it always seems like it's going to be better. I get through about 15 reps of whatever I'm doing before the arm starts to shake and give out. But by the time I'm to my second and third set I'm lucky if I can make it through 8 to 10 before it starts to shake so bad I'm afraid I'm going to get a weight to the head. lol
  • chljlleal
    chljlleal Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Try less reps with higher weights!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I suffered a shoulder last July. The day I started PT my therapist took ratio measurements. I measured in the low single digits on every thing. My husband had to brush my hair for me every day. After 3 months of PT I did get my range of motion to about 80% but my arm was very weak. When I stopped PT because that was all insurance was going to pay for, it was up to me to do the rest. It has been about 3 months now since my last PT visit. I have increased my range of motion even more to about 95% and am slowly building my strength back. I just recently started lifting 15lbers for some things. I am taking it very slow. I don't want to tear it again. I just think it is a slow process but you will get there.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    15 reps is an awful lot per set for strength training, that's more endurance training. Ideal for gaining strength and working neuromuscular adaptation is the 3-5 rep range per set.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry, dear. You are much too young to be having these kind of problems. (I say that cause we are the same age, LOL!)

I wish I could offer some advice, but I don't know enough. I would recommend that perhaps a PT could help you with this.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend you see a PT or dr. The thing is you don't want to do too much, too soon without risk of further injury. Trust me you do not want to tear your rotator cuff on top of everything else you have going on. I myself do more reps and less weight and that has been working for me. But I am ok with going slow. I was in way too much pain for 5 months to want to go there again. I have to be really comfortable with the weight I am working with before I go on with the next. I am also trying to tone because I lost all of my muscle tone from not being able to use it, talk about some bat wings. I was bones in a bag of saggy skin, it was gross. I have come a long way in 3 months. I figure it was going to take me a year to be strong and toned. If it takes less, great, if it takes longer, oh well.