Increased my calories but too frightened to carry on...

Options
Little brief -- I've lost 32lbs since January 15th through basically zig zagging calories and eating as low as 1000 calories for six days of the week and then having a high calorie day of 3000 calories on a Saturday.. so that averages out to 1285 calories daily.

The weight was coming off nicely but when I measured my inches and body fat percentage on Sunday I was shocked to realise that I haven't lost any inches or body fat percentage, and actually feel flabbier and softer than I did before!

So after researching and reading through posts on here such as in place of a road map, I decided to up my calories and now am eating 20% below my TDEE which is 1900 calories. I'm burning an extra 400 calories daily through weight lifting and cardio at the gym, so really I'm netting 1500 calories.

Everything I'm eating is as clean and healthy as I can possibly get it to be -- protein shakes, eggs, salmon, chicken, vegetables, peanut butter, almonds, flaxseed, oatmeal, Greek yogurt etc.

It's admittedly only my second day of increased calories, but I feel really bloated and puffy & just fat. I haven't weighed cause I know that the scales will more than likely go up for the first week or two until they trend down...

But I'm just scared that higher calories may not work for me & I could get heavier and bigger?

I know people may say to wait it out.. but in 7 weeks time I'm having surgery and need to lose quite a bit more weight by then and I'm frightened I won't.

Advice?

Replies

• frank513
    frank513 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    DId you work out at all? not cardio, but lifting weights. And not weights that weigh the same as most peoples purses?

Cant do one without the other and expect to get firmer.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Change your workouts,sometimes we get to a point that you dont lose weight or inches that plateau can be nasty when we get to that point.Then I notice eat healthy carbs for breakfast or early afternoons you burn them off faster then at night time.your doing the right things but sometimes you get stuck losing inches.Good luck.
  • kendramckay5
    Options
    I used to go to weight watchers meetings and have learned there that while you might lose weight with extremely low calorie diets, over the long haul they will not work.....they teach that when calories are too low to sustain your activity level, your body starts feeding off your muscle because it thinks that you are starving it. The best way to rev up your weight loss is to eat enough to make your body feed off the fat and then work on the muscle with exercise....while the wild fluctuations in calories may work for a while, when you start eating "normal" again, all of the weight will come right back on and your body will, in fact, start turning more of it into fat for the next wild calorie reduction.

At first, after such an enormous weight loss that you had, and the way that you were eating, eating "normal" amounts of food will make you feel bloated and fat. You just need to be patient with your body and let it get used to eating a healthy, adequate amount of food so that it will not make it all into fat. Keep up the exercise and the healthy eating, any soon you will see the pounds come off!
  • BlackEyedPanda
    BlackEyedPanda Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Exercise?
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    lozzieemayjenkins Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    DId you work out at all? not cardio, but lifting weights. And not weights that weigh the same as most peoples purses?

I wasn't working out when I was zig zagging low & high calories no.. Now I'm working out & lift as heavy as I can, which isn't much on upper body at the moment but 75kg on lower body.
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You will benefit from the book, "New Rules of Lifting For Women"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I wasn't working out when I was zig zagging low & high calories no.. Now I'm working out & lift as heavy as I can, which isn't much on upper body at the moment but 75kg on lower body.

keep going! thats the only advice there is!
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    I used to go to weight watchers meetings and have learned there that while you might lose weight with extremely low calorie diets, over the long haul they will not work.....they teach that when calories are too low to sustain your activity level, your body starts feeding off your muscle because it thinks that you are starving it. The best way to rev up your weight loss is to eat enough to make your body feed off the fat and then work on the muscle with exercise....while the wild fluctuations in calories may work for a while, when you start eating "normal" again, all of the weight will come right back on and your body will, in fact, start turning more of it into fat for the next wild calorie reduction.

At first, after such an enormous weight loss that you had, and the way that you were eating, eating "normal" amounts of food will make you feel bloated and fat. You just need to be patient with your body and let it get used to eating a healthy, adequate amount of food so that it will not make it all into fat. Keep up the exercise and the healthy eating, any soon you will see the pounds come off!

That's what I've been hearing all over the boards -- that restricting calories for too long will lead to loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers metabolism and will cause a flabby soft look.. which is why I thought I should bump my calories up to a healthy number and what's recommended for fat loss & inch loss..

I just feel like I can't possibly lose weight eating this much! I'm only netting 1500 a day though so I suppose that's not that high..

I just wanna see results. I work my *kitten* off in the gym & really push myself so I expect the inches to come off and my body fat percentage to lower!
  • nicoleknapp754
    Options
    I personally feel that you should stop dieting until after your surgery. So that your body has not been starved right before your surgery. eat what would be a maintenance diet for you until after you have recuperated from your surgery . Just my humble opinion.

When it comes to eating more calories. I am having the same debate in my head. The fact that eating more calories can encourage the body to loss more just seems like a contradiction to me. I am slowly increasing my carbs to where this program feels that I should be eating. I am diabetic and keep my blood sugars where I feel that they ought to be by walking 2x a day - 2 miles each walk. So timing of when I eat is important if my blood sugars are going to be back down to where I want them to be before bedtime. I'd like to believe that my body is going to lose more by eating more but so far I am NOT convinced that this is going to work for me. I've got 22 lbs left to lose to reach my goal of 120 lbs. I'm not trying to start any conflict here ...just sharing my concerns about this concept working for someone that isn't a jock and doesn't do a lot of exercising at a gym. I like the terminology referred to here of being a "snowflake" - no I don't think that I am a snowflake. I am currently following Dr Hyman's Blood Sugar Solution. Which is working for me -
  • TavistockToad
    Options

That's what I've been hearing all over the boards -- that restricting calories for too long will lead to loss of lean muscle mass which in turn lowers metabolism and will cause a flabby soft look.. which is why I thought I should bump my calories up to a healthy number and what's recommended for fat loss & inch loss..

I just feel like I can't possibly lose weight eating this much! I'm only netting 1500 a day though so I suppose that's not that high..

I just wanna see results. I work my *kitten* off in the gym & really push myself so I expect the inches to come off and my body fat percentage to lower!

i dont know your stats, but i am 5ft5, 130ish lbs, and i NET 1800 cals per day and i am losing bodyfat. on exercise days (i am doing insanity) i am eating about 2200 -2300 cals... but i am losing bodyfat - it can be done,
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

If you've just started lifting heavy, you will retain some water, initially, while your body gets used to the new routine. This has some good info in it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/584556-water-retention-from-exercise-trainers

:flowerforyou:

ETA: I lift heavy 3-4x a week, and have been eating TDEE - 20% (1800 cals) and have been losing steadily. :)
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options

I also felt the same way, that I couldn't lose weight eating that much. But it has proven that it is working. I have lost a total of 10 lb over the last 10 weeks. And I didn't see any type of downward trend until I started eating more. MFP had me at 1200 per day, I have been eating 1600 or more and losing. I will tell you that the first 2-3 weeks, I stayed level, then on the 4th week of increased calories, I had a big loss all at once. I have been steady at losing 1 lb per week since then, which is what I have my goal set for.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options

I also felt the same way, that I couldn't lose weight eating that much. But it has proven that it is working. I have lost a total of 10 lb over the last 10 weeks. And I didn't see any type of downward trend until I started eating more. MFP had me at 1200 per day, I have been eating 1600 or more and losing. I will tell you that the first 2-3 weeks, I stayed level, then on the 4th week of increased calories, I had a big loss all at once. I have been steady at losing 1 lb per week since then, which is what I have my goal set for.

Have you noticed much inch loss or body fat loss? I don't mind actual weight loss being slow permitting my body is changing shape quickly and I'm losing inches quickly!
  • OkaNekko
    OkaNekko Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think you are right on track. You have done your research. It is scary to increase calories. I was at a similar point last February when I realized that I was not eating enough. I increased my calories from 1200 to 1500, and then again to 1650 ( even though the online calculators indicated I should be at 1800... That was too scary!). I have been losing about 1.5 per week. This past weekend I had my resting metabolic rate tested and found that my estimate of 1650 was pretty spot on. I would suggest that you gradually up your calories until you get to the point where you are feeling energetic. As long as you are eating above your BMR and below your TDEE, you will lose weight. Good luck with your upcoming surgery.
  • Jmur8908
    Jmur8908 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. This is so funny to me because this sounds exactly like me when i was starting out! I thought i was doing all the right stuff i dropped my calories to about 1100 to 1200 a day and man the weight was flying off! Then i realized while the weight was falling off i wasn't losing inches. The thing i was lacking was the exericise because while you lose weight your skin becomes saggier that is why you need to build muscle in the place of fat to really be sucessful! The journey to a healthy weight loss was definitely a scary one. I had to up my calorie intake, but as i did i started working out and burning a lot of calories so it made it a little less scary. Since i started my weight loss the right way i have lost 22 pounds and 10 inches!!! since february. Cardio and low carb has been my saving grace! If you need any advice I am here for ya girl! Good luck!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I don't mind actual weight loss being slow permitting my body is changing shape quickly and I'm losing inches quickly!

none of this works quickly if it is done in a healthy sustainable way! especially when you are down to the last few 'vanity pounds'
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For me, when I have days that I feel flabby and my stomach seems squishy instead of firm, then I'm about to have a "whoosh," that is, a decent-sized drop on the scale.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    I don't mind actual weight loss being slow permitting my body is changing shape quickly and I'm losing inches quickly!

none of this works quickly if it is done in a healthy sustainable way! especially when you are down to the last few 'vanity pounds'

It's not vanity pounds.. I'm 51lbs overweight.
  • lozzieemayjenkins
    Options
    I'm actually really freaking out now and just feel like I'm safer with lower calories and that's the only thing that'll work and get the weight and inches off for sure... I don't have faith that eating 1900 calories a day will get these 51lbs and masses of inches off me!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I'm actually really freaking out now and just feel like I'm safer with lower calories and that's the only thing that'll work and get the weight and inches off for sure... I don't have faith that eating 1900 calories a day will get these 51lbs and masses of inches off me!
    It will. You must have patience.