I need help!!! what am I doing wrong?

Options
I started several weeks ago using this wonderful page, I love it but I am not getting any results. I first started exercising two times a week and eating 1,200 calories. When I saw that the weight was not going down, I increased the amount of calories to 1,500 and I am exercising everyday now (I'm on day 9 of 30 days shred) but after a week, nothing...zero...nada... What is wrong with me. Any advice? Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I started several weeks ago using this wonderful page, I love it but I am not getting any results. I first started exercising two times a week and eating 1,200 calories. When I saw that the weight was not going down, I increased the amount of calories to 1,500 and I am exercising everyday now (I'm on day 9 of 30 days shred) but after a week, nothing...zero...nada... What is wrong with me. Any advice? Thanks!

nothing is wrong, it just takes longer than a week.
  • denisea3465
    denisea3465 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was literally coming here to post the exact same thing. I started "officially" 4 weeks ago. I started consciously eating better 5 weeks ago but only started tracking four weeks. I'm still struggling with sweets but I'm exercising a lot and almost always come in below my calorie goal. I also check my weekly average and that is always, always below the daily calorie goal.

I've been measuring and weighing every monday and so far, nada. Not a single gram smaller. I love the exercise bit and it really makes me feel good after doing it, but I am getting so very frustrated that I'm not losing anything at all. What the heck?
  • Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My guess is you are eating too much. Why did you go from 1200 to 1500?

When you put in your height, and weight, and your lifestyle (without exercise) how much does MFP say you should eat to lose a pound a week? Go with that. On days you exercise feel free to eat back the cals IF you are hungry.

Also, what you eat matters--high sodium foods, for instance, will make your body hang on to water. High cal foods will not keep you full for long. Just track everything you eat and you will change your habits to stay full.

Good luck!
  • julyssas
    julyssas Posts: 22
    Options
    Thanks. I just increased because I wasn't getting any results while eating 1,200 cals. I should have said in my post that I am 5,7" and 193 pounds.
    I try to make good choices when I select my food but I think that sometimes I eat too much carbohydrates...not too much fat though.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I started this app awhile ago.It gave me 1430 to start off with plus when you workout and add it,gave me more calories.I workout 6 to 7 days a week,I eat well try to sometimes,but it took about 4 weeks when I started to see a difference.Saw it in my face it got thinner then my thighs .I was a size 14 now I can get into a 12 and 10's,all depends how pants are made ,and my tops large to a medium,Workout ,eat right ,drink a lot of water,before every mail I will drink a bottle of water that fills you up I do eat breakfast,lunch ,snacks and dinner ,stop eating all junk foods and healthy bars,fruits vegs and lots of chicken and fish.Try to eat carbs in the morning healthy ones so you can burn it off during the whole day.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I started this app awhile ago.It gave me 1430 to start off with plus when you workout and add it,gave me more calories.I workout 6 to 7 days a week,I eat well try to sometimes,but it took about 4 weeks when I started to see a difference.Saw it in my face it got thinner then my thighs .I was a size 14 now I can get into a 12 and 10's,all depends how pants are made ,and my tops large to a medium,Workout ,eat right ,drink a lot of water,before every mail I will drink a bottle of water that fills you up I do eat breakfast,lunch ,snacks and dinner ,stop eating all junk foods and healthy bars,fruits vegs and lots of chicken and fish.Try to eat carbs in the morning healthy ones so you can burn it off during the whole day.
  • stripler13
    Options
    Thanks. I just increased because I wasn't getting any results while eating 1,200 cals. I should have said in my post that I am 5,7" and 193 pounds.
    I try to make good choices when I select my food but I think that sometimes I eat too much carbohydrates...not too much fat though.

If you don't have any serious health conditions, I would look into "Primal" eating. Don't be scared to eat fats, healthy fats are good for you, of course in moderation. If you do cut carbs out I would increase the fat intake from olive oil, sat fats, coconut oils, fishes, meat, eggs. Do some searching on Paleo or Primal eating. A good website to start off at is marksdailyapple.com and robbwolf.com if you are interested. Find out some information on how much calories you would need in a day based on your age,ht,wt, and activity levels. If you want to get real technical look up BMR or RMR, TDEE.

Also what type of exercises are you doing. It's good if you focus on a mixture of cardio and resistance training.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    First, are you really logging everything? Butter on your bread, cream in your coffee, oil in the pan when you cook? I saw a post from someone the other day saying she didn't log any of that stuff becuase it was "just small stuff." I can tell you from my logging that those things add up and make a big difference in your final totals!!

How are you logging? Are you really measuring? Weighing things? Or eyeballing? Or using the info on the package, but not necessarily looking at what a "serving" is? Are you typing things into the search and then picking entries that "sound right" or finding the exact food? When it says "A slice" are you comparing same-size slices?
  • oh_em_gee
    oh_em_gee Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Give it time. You didn't gain all that weight in a week, and it's not going to come off that soon either.

Eta: misread, I see it's been longer than a week. Still, keep at it.