Polar HRM calorie burn estimate accuracy - study

Options

Replies

• Storkette79
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :) great info.
    I was talking to some one about measuring fat using scales and how inaccurate that was. BUT it is reliable to see an upwards or downwards difference. So if you are just looking at it to measure a reduction not an actual figure then that would be ok.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this :) great info.
    I was talking to some one about measuring fat using scales and how inaccurate that was. BUT it is reliable to see an upwards or downwards difference. So if you are just looking at it to measure a reduction not an actual figure then that would be ok.

Some of the can be very consistent indeed, which is what you need for trend direction.

Most really require the user to be consistent too with how they use it.

My morning after a rest day where I'm not still sore and retaining water is very infrequent, so I don't even try it seems.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So in layman's terms, my FT7 is giving me the wrong results in terms of calories burnt?

That's disappointing.

It might be wrong, but it is 'directionally correct'. Using its values and the HR element during training will help you understand your body and fine tune your exercise and nutrition.

Remember, your scale isn't accurate either but it helps you monitor the trends, right? Same for the calorie burn on HRM. I discount mine by 30%. Always ensures deficit. My scale, in conjunction with HRM, helps me manage weight and fitness.

I LIVE by the HR element during cardio, making sure that i hit each HR zone for the desired amount of time and dont slack off, which i some times like to do....

Even if inaccurate, it is still your freind!

LOVE the HRM!!!

Good luck!
  • heybales
    Options
    So in layman's terms, my FT7 is giving me the wrong results in terms of calories burnt?

That's disappointing.

It might be wrong, but it is 'directionally correct'. Using its values and the HR element during training will help you understand your body and fine tune your exercise and nutrition.

Remember, your scale isn't accurate either but it helps you monitor the trends, right? Same for the calorie burn on HRM. I discount mine by 30%. Always ensures deficit. My scale, in conjunction with HRM, helps me manage weight and fitness.

I LIVE by the HR element during cardio, making sure that i hit each HR zone for the desired amount of time and dont slack off, which i some times like to do....

LOVE the HRM!!!

Good luck!

True, and you are actually using it for it's original and intended and best purpose - monitoring HR.

And making exercise choices based on that.

So many though say you must improve MFP's calorie counts by getting a HRM, without realizing the limits of the tool.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options

That's disappointing.

LOVE the HRM!!!

Good luck!

True, and you are actually using it for it's original and intended and best purpose - monitoring HR.

And making exercise choices based on that.

So many though say you must improve MFP's calorie counts by getting a HRM, without realizing the limits of the tool.

Correct. We all have to adjust MFP if we are serious as MFP is very general (there are only 4 levels of activity? (I am semi-sedentary!!).

The best tool is your own body. The other stuff (bathroom scales, calipers, food scales, HRM, etc) are all part of the supporting cast. No one tool works exclusively. however, in concert with each other, they can help you can learn a lot about you and your body and make some amazing changes.

Good luck!
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nacs246
    nacs246 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump.

Thanks Mike , You are always so Knowledgeable and helpful!
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • barbaratrollman
    barbaratrollman Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have thrown the solution in there to obtain the better accuracy. Though you still may want to subtract 12%.

It's the default calculations based on avg's that cause the biggest inaccuracy.

If you can find out your own figures for max HR, and if your monitor lets you do it, VO2 max, you can greatly improve the accuracy.

For VO2 max estimate:
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/queens.htm

Here is a submaximal test to estimate your max HR, if you feel like doing the true killer test (and serious, be fit already to do that one), you can find it at the above site.

. The SubMax Step Test. Use an 8" step (almost any step in your home or in a club will do) and perform a 3-minute step test. After your warm-up, step up and down in a four-count sequence as follows: right foot up, left up, right down, left down. Each time you move a foot up or down, it counts as one step.

Count "up, up, down, down" for one set, with 20 sets to the minute. It is very important that you don't speed up the pace--keep it regular. After 2 minutes, you'll need to monitor your heart rate for the last minute. The SubMax Step Test now can be used to predict your Max HR. Add to your last minute's heart rate average one of the following numbers:

1. Poor Shape: +55 bpm
    2. Average Shape: +65 bpm
    3. Excellent Shape: +75 bpm

Your result should be pretty close to your Max HR. (last-minute heart rate average might be something like 120 bpm, to which I'd add 75 bpm, bringing the total to 195 bpm.)

And how does one determine what to enter for for the shape their in, "Poor", "Average", or "Excellent"?
  • heybales
    Options
    I guess I should have thrown the solution in there to obtain the better accuracy. Though you still may want to subtract 12%.

If you can find out your own figures for max HR, and if your monitor lets you do it, VO2 max, you can greatly improve the accuracy.

For VO2 max estimate:

Here is a submaximal test to estimate your max HR, if you feel like doing the true killer test (and serious, be fit already to do that one), you can find it at the above site.

. The SubMax Step Test. Use an 8" step (almost any step in your home or in a club will do) and perform a 3-minute step test. After your warm-up, step up and down in a four-count sequence as follows: right foot up, left up, right down, left down. Each time you move a foot up or down, it counts as one step.

Count "up, up, down, down" for one set, with 20 sets to the minute. It is very important that you don't speed up the pace--keep it regular. After 2 minutes, you'll need to monitor your heart rate for the last minute. The SubMax Step Test now can be used to predict your Max HR. Add to your last minute's heart rate average one of the following numbers:

Your result should be pretty close to your Max HR. (last-minute heart rate average might be something like 120 bpm, to which I'd add 75 bpm, bringing the total to 195 bpm.)

And how does one determine what to enter for for the shape their in, "Poor", "Average", or "Excellent"?

If just starting exercise program few weeks, poor, from there to can't do over 45 min with stopping for breather, average, can go 45 min or better with stopping at all, excellent.
  • barbaratrollman
    Options

If just starting exercise program few weeks, poor, from there to can't do over 45 min with stopping for breather, average, can go 45 min or better with stopping at all, excellent.

Thank you!
  • barbaratrollman
    Options

For VO2 max estimate:

Another question...shouldn't age, weight, and current height be considered into this, as well?
  • heybales
    Options
    Another question...shouldn't age, weight, and current height be considered into this, as well?

It is if you think about it.

Who is going to have their HR rocket up higher, heavy or light person?
    Old or young person?

Height? No.

So it really is included in the fact your HR will either be high or low based on those things. And as has been correctly found, age doesn't automatically cause HRmax to lower, if you stayed in cardio shape as you got older. If you got in shape while older, ya, it lowered, and you won't get any improvement from it.
    So if you are old and HR didn't go up that and you are in Excellent shape, higher HR.

The only reason the HRM's get that extra data is to calculate BMI (height and weight) and then decide if that is good or bad of several levels (gender and age) - and from that they estimate a VO2max figure.

Now they use age to calculate a HRmax figure (220-age), the lactate threshold level is assumed to be 80-85% of that. That is the upper level of calorie burn for aerobic. The lower end is about 90 from studies for everyone.

Now with a HR range from 90 to LT, and a VO2max figure, they can calculate your estimated calorie burn per HR.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    My head hurts!
    head-exploding.jpg

This ^^

... too... many...words.... and ...numbers..

*falls over*

aaah same here and I don't even have a HRM yet.... seems so complicated : /

I want a HRM but I am more confused than ever over what one to get...
  • heybales
    Options

Polar FT40 or 60, or RS300X - all have the VO2max value, and self test. The only way to have a modicum of accuracy.

Or Garmin Forerunners 910XT & 310XT & 610 & 410 & 210 & 110, 405CX, Edges 800 & 500
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, interesting. I have the FT7 and it tells me I burn less than most calorie calculators and the machine. I prefer the ft7 calcuations
  • barbaratrollman
    Options

This ^^

... too... many...words.... and ...numbers..

*falls over*

[/quote]

I KNOW! Me too! :-/
  • zewolf77
    zewolf77 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I always leave 100 or so calories or approx 10% off when I mark down my HRM cals.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 which appears to me to be accurate. Usually it's the gym equipment that is up to 100 calories off, above that of my HRM. If I alternate on a walk between a flat path and hills, I see a difference in the calories burned.