How do I drop weight with resistance training?

Options
How do I get the scale to move downward with resistance training? I still have a whole lot of weight to lose. I've been doing 30 day shred for the last 2 1/2 weeks and I've been throwing in other resistance training such as Jillian's shred it with weights and Les Mills Pump. My whole body hurts. Yikes so I know I'm working those muscles. But how do some of you manage to still lose pounds while doing a lot of resistance training? I also do Zumba on the Wii for cardio. Any other suggestions?

Replies

• niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not sure I understant the question.
    You lose weight by performing the activities regularly, burns calories, builds muscle and increase metabolism by increase your body's need for calories due to having more lean muscle mass. Strength training leans you out and sculps your body you instead of just getting small you get a nice tight and round shape everywhere.

If your body hurts (not pain, just sore) then it's working. I restrict calories, run and lift. I lift 3 times per week and will do less cardio or none on lifting days so I have lots of energy to lift. I've heard this saying a lot " 4 weeks for you to notice a difference in your body, 8 weeks for your friends/ & family, and 12 weeks for the world to notice".

Keep up the good work :-)

Note: scale might not move down fast when you are strength training but that's because you are losing body fat while adding a little muscle. I lost body fat all over and it was very noticeable however the scale didn't go down by much. At this point instead of losing weight you should say losing fat, because that's what will give you a killer body.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calorie deficit, not specific exercises. If you aren't losing weight, you need to fix your diet.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I'd love to know this myself as exactly the same thing happens to me every time I do 30DS or any of Jillian's other workouts. I'm trying to alternate the resistance training with just cardio to see if that helps but too early to say yet.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    if you have access to a gym/olympic weights, the best way to increase your muscle (which continues burning fat for hours after you're done lifting) is to lift heavy weights in short reps, 15 or so. The weight you chose should be heavy enough that by the 15th rep you feel like you can't physically do another one (going to fail). Try and focus on lifts that work multiple muscle groups (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc). There's a great program in the new rules of lifting for women, and it gives you the logic behind heavy lifting as well.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    if you have access to a gym/olympic weights, the best way to increase your muscle (which continues burning fat for hours after you're done lifting) is to lift heavy weights in short reps, 15 or so. The weight you chose should be heavy enough that by the 15th rep you feel like you can't physically do another one (going to fail). Try and focus on lifts that work multiple muscle groups (squats, deadlifts, rows, etc). There's a great program in the new rules of lifting for women, and it gives you the logic behind heavy lifting as well.

This!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    15 reps is actually really high. Heavy strength training should be 3 to 5 reps.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Ok I understand that lifting burns fat but I'm confused. How do I still lose the fat/scale weight while gaining muscle? Is it even possible? I still have 100 lbs to lose so its frustrating doing all this work and not seeing the scale budge. I keep hearing that muscle weighs more than fat but I'm kinda sick of hearing it. I can do all cardio but I'm trying to lose all this weight and tone as I go. Is there something I'm missing?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    15 reps is actually really high. Heavy strength training should be 3 to 5 reps.

I think maybe 3-5 would be for real bulking, no? I have always done the 10-15 rep rule and found I toned quite well.
  • JessHealthKick
    Options
    Ok I understand that lifting burns fat but I'm confused. How do I still lose the fat/scale weight while gaining muscle? Is it even possible? I still have 100 lbs to lose so its frustrating doing all this work and not seeing the scale budge. I keep hearing that muscle weighs more than fat but I'm kinda sick of hearing it. I can do all cardio but I'm trying to lose all this weight and tone as I go. Is there something I'm missing?

only 2 1/2 weeks? not long enough. Take your measurements to see how you're going

edit: that being said, I gained a lot of muscle when snowboarding for 2 weeks straight. But we are talking burning something like 2000 calories a day of mixed cardio and strength training (squat and pushup style movements as well as core).

So unless you're working out 6 hours a day, not likely to see a huge difference :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    about gaining muscle... unless you are eating at a surplus and working seriously hard at strength training for a significant amount of time (surely more than a few weeks).... women do not gain pounds of muscle, especially while eating at a deficit. It just doesn't happen.

that isn't to say you should stop though, it does help get/keep your muscles in good shape as you lose weight and helps prevent the muscle loss that many people experience with a significant weight loss.
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Continue with what you are doing (strength training and cardio), keep your food intake where it is suppose to be and you will see results. Sometimes the scale may seem stuck for a week, but then it will drop. Hang in there! Sounds like you are doing what you are suppose to be!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Hey friend!

Also be sure you're eating enough to support your exercise. Take a look at your calorie settings and adjust them if necessary. You know I have a lot to lose too, but I noticed I do better when I eat more. Not in excess...just 20% less than my TDEE. It takes some patience, but you'll see better results when you eat closer to what your body needs to function.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

only 2 1/2 weeks? not long enough. Take your measurements to see how you're going

edit: that being said, I gained a lot of muscle when snowboarding for 2 weeks straight. But we are talking burning something like 2000 calories a day of mixed cardio and strength training (squat and pushup style movements as well as core).

So unless you're working out 6 hours a day, not likely to see a huge difference :)

uhhh what? You gained a lot of muscle over a two week time span while not eating at a surplus as a female? Mind = Blown
  • 5grls1boy
    Options
    Do not stop your strength training, people who try to lose weight and do not do strength training end up skinny fat. That's a slender body with not much muscle mass.....it is not pretty at all. I would not worry about building too much muscles either, a women cant do that without the use of some serious supplements. keep in that the more muscles you have the more calories you burn at resting rate (doing nothing), so keep it up 2.5 weeks is not long enough to see a difference, adjust your diet to what works for you and keep it up. Keep in mind it took you much longer then 2.5 weeks to get where you are, so it will take you some time to get to where you want to be.
    Good Luck
  • MrsBozz1
    MrsBozz1 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I understand feeling frustrated that the scale is not going down. I am doing Jillians shred and have notice the scale slowed BUT my measurements have gone down. I've had weeks where I only lost .2 lbs but a half inch off my rear end. TRACK YOUR MEASUREMENT! :smile: Might help you stay encouraged. And keep it up, your body will catch up! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • JessHealthKick
    Options

uhhh what? You gained a lot of muscle over a two week time span while not eating at a surplus as a female? Mind = Blown

*rage quits* net just dropped out and lost my whole post.

Imagine doing squats (not super deep) from 9-5 with intermittent breaks and a 1hours lunch break. For 2 weeks with one rest day. Plus push ups and carrying a 10kg board around the slopes. I was adding full cream milk and having 2 generous protein shakes, but was burning so much there it was amazing. If you have done more serious snowboarding before you would know that it uses so many muscles from calves, quads, butt, core, arms to even wrists.

Biggest difference was.. well, all of the above mentioned. There was definitely fat loss, but a contribution was no doubt muscle gain as well as my boyfriend couldn't stop poking how hard my quads and *kitten* had become, and I found amusement in comparing our arm muscles.
  • niqua215
    Options
    Ok y'all I'll keep up the resistance training. What about calories and carbs? Gonna try setting my diary to 20% below my TDEE as suggested by some. Does it matter how many carbs I eat? Or should I just stay within my calorie budget rather than counting carbs, fat etc?
  • phjorg
    phjorg Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Imagine doing squats (not super deep) from 9-5 with intermittent breaks and a 1hours lunch break. For 2 weeks with one rest day. Plus push ups and carrying a 10kg board around the slopes. I was adding full cream milk and having 2 generous protein shakes, but was burning so much there it was amazing. If you have done more serious snowboarding before you would know that it uses so many muscles from calves, quads, butt, core, arms to even wrists.

Biggest difference was.. well, all of the above mentioned. There was definitely fat loss, but a contribution was no doubt muscle gain as well as my boyfriend couldn't stop poking how hard my quads and *kitten* had become, and I found amusement in comparing our arm muscles.
    thats not muscle gain....
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

As mentioned above me.... that is not muscle gain. It takes MUCH longer for that to occur in a man, let alone bodyweight exercises as a female.