Earning calories with exercise.

Options
So yesterday, I did 64 minutes of walking 3.5mph and earned 273 calories. My sister did 69 minutes of 2.5mph walking and earned 425 calories! What is up with that? We're both using exercise programs to get our calories burned numbers, no heart rate monitor, just GPS.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Differences in age, height, and weight can have significant changes on calorie burn, as well as the actual calculator used. It's all an estimate, nothing's exact.
  • shelbygt350h
    Options
    I do ONE MILE @ the gym every day (missed 8 since start date of Jan. 12th)...on the LIFE FITNESS TREADMILL I burn up about 75 calories in about 22 min. (2.7 mph). If this were true to your time...@ my speed you would have burned 232 calories ! I would say whatever method you are using is pretty close to mine. Great job on yesterdays meals...but you sure do have a SWEET TOOTH !! That makes it very hard to lose weight...TOO MANY SUGAR CRAVINGS !! Keep up the good work !! :)
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I bet your sister is significantly heavier than you. The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. As you lose weight you will burn less calories for the same activity.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I bet your sister is significantly heavier than you. The heavier you are, the more calories you burn. As you lose weight you will burn less calories for the same activity.
    This is true. The same thing used to happen to me and a friend. We would go for a run and her calorie burn would be significantly higher than mine for that reason.
  • svermace
    svermace Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yep! I'm working on cutting out sugar, but it is really proving hard for me.....and I refuse to use any artificial sweeteners anymore. I'm sticking to honey and real sugar, but trying to use less of each one. Wish me luck!
  • chris90w
    chris90w Posts: 19
    Options
    Yep! I'm working on cutting out sugar, but it is really proving hard for me.....and I refuse to use any artificial sweeteners anymore. I'm sticking to honey and real sugar, but trying to use less of each one. Wish me luck!

Hello Svermace

did you try stevia ?