High heart rate

Options
Was just reading a post about the polar ft7 hrm.

I received one for Christmas and I love it!! It even automatically syncs with the True treadmill at the gym so my heartrate reads on the monitor on the treadmill. I don't even have to hold the handles. That leads to my question.

How high is too high a heartrate?

I'm 50 y/old female, 138 pounds, 5'8".

During some exercises in zumba, or jumping jacks, or running - my hrm reads between 150 and 160. Otherwise, during lower aerobic exercise, it'll range between 119 and 140.

What do you guys think? I had a stress test 4 years ago. It came back clear.

Replies

• NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    My heart rate gets into the 180's when I'm doing cardio... I don't think 150-160 is that bad but I'm no expert
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Its supposed to be 220 minus your age, so 170 for you.

However, for me its 189 and I regularly hit 180-185 when I am doing really intense cardio. I do tend to slow down a little when my hrm beeps. I have an FT4. Its great how it links with the machines. I didn't expect that feature but I do like it!
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Mine peaks in the 180's as well during cardio. I have Polar FT40 and I know there is a setting where you can have it beep if you're going over your max heartrate (or maybe it is 90% of your max). Whatever it was, it was annoying and I turned it off.

I thought I read once that you take 220 minus your age and that is roughly your max heartrate. Obviously just a simplistic calculation but maybe that will help you to know if you're in the ballpark.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think the % is what is important.
    220-your age (220-50=170) this is your maximum heart rate

moderate zone- 50-60% of maximum
    fat burning zone 60-70% of maximum
    aerobic zone- 70-80% of maximum
    anaerobic zone- 80-90% of maximum

For me (maximum heart rate= 188) I like my heart rate to be in the 170's range for a good run