How much should I aim to lose per week?

So far I've lost 37lbs, I'd like to lose 16 more. I am already at a healthy weight for my height (5'5" 143lbs) but I could defnitely lose a bit more. How much should I aiming to lose each week with only 16 more lbs to lose?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    .5 would be ideal, 1lb a week at a max. You'll find the last 15-ish pounds come off s-l-o-w-l-y, do not be discouraged! They will come off! It's just that your body wants to hang onto them more and resists letting them go harder. That's partly why a goal of only 1/2 pound a week is widely recommended, because if your goal is more than that you're likely to be disappointed and discouraged. Don't be! Just keep the faith, it will happen :)

edit: and congratulations on the loss so far! That's fantastic!
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    With your current weight, it is best to take it slow. 0.5lbs per week max as the smaller you are the slower it is going to come off. Those last 15lbs or so are "vanity lbs" which your body doesn't want to let go of. Anything higher of a weekly weight loss goal will just create too large of a deficit.

Good luck and great progress so far!
  • kpstacy
    kpstacy Posts: 41 Member
    If you are at a healthy weight, what I would do, is not concentrate so much on loosing more weight, but toning and getting some nice lean muscle. You may not move numbers on the scale, but you can still loose inches. If you are stuck on a number on the scale, then 1/2 pound a week. If you concentrate on good cardio and good strength training, you will continue to see a change in your body. I wish most people would throw there scales out the window, because we get stuck on the number on it, instead of our measurements and body fat, which are way more important!!! Good luck!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    I agree with Phrick on all counts: go slowly, and don't be discouraged! I'm down to my last 8 pounds or so, and with MFP set to half a pound a week and my weight varying by 2-3 pounds a day it's really hard to see progress. Instead of consistently seeing that half pound loss, the scale won't budge for 2 or 3 weeks, then BAM! 1 to 1.5 pounds gone at once. Just know that if you're eating at a deficit (with the usual reminders to be as accurate with your tracking as possible), the weight has to come off.

Congrats on your progress so far, and best of luck going forward!