MFP Calorie Count too low?

Options
So, MyFitnessPal reccommends 1650 calories per day for me right now. 217 lb male, 6'1", 45, 'sedentary' (I have a desk job and while I have been working at walking lot more, I have not developed true workout motivation. This was a recalc with a 1.5/ week goal and 185lb target (I was probably about this or a little less 12-13 years ago). Was talking to a friend yesterday who thought this calorie count was low. Went to a couple of TDEE calculators and my TDEE is 2466.

Now, bear in mind I started at about 273 when I started on Jan 4th, so I have lost 55 lbs over about 12 weeks (20 in first two) with mostly hitting my food calories and sometimes eating my walking exercise calories and sometimes not. I know I have cut a huge amount of carbs (bagels, pasta, rice, pretzels, candy bars) out of my diet, and one week when I know I had more carbs (not necessarily significant excess calories) my weght loss was less that week, so my body is definitely responding to the carb change.

Am I too low on calories? Is this overdoing it? My calories mix is favoring protein on average (probably 25-30/25-30/45-55) protein/fait/carb. I have been trying to decide if I have lost some 'weight' or muscle in my arms lately, that has me a little concerned.

I am most certainly motivated by the speed of my success, but do have some concern.

*edited for height*

Replies

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Well, that deficit comes out to 5712 cals/week. 1.5 lbs of weight loss equals out to 5250 cals. So it's a little low, 66 cals/day to be exact. :) But that's if everything is 100% accurate and TDEE and other calculations are not an exact science!
  • clperrett
    clperrett Posts: 33
    Options
    Are you feeling hungry all the time? sluggish? ill?
    Do you find it difficult to stick to those calories?

If not then I can't see what harm you are doing, but then again I am no expert
  • jontay81
    jontay81 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take accurate body fat measurements to see if you're losing muscle mass. That's the best way to determine if you're overdoing it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    You are close to the same age and weight as my husband and I always thought those calories seemed low for him too. But the MFP recommendations are not a magic number. I would advise you to start there and see how it works. Add a few more on if you find that this is too low. Based on your TDEE, you will lose over a pound per week. This may be too much. I don't think that recommendation is so low that you will suffer and health risks, so I think it's as good a starting place as any. Like you hinted at in your post, it's about finding the right mix of macros for you. You know your body better than anyone else. You have already lost a significant amount of weight, so you obviously know what you need to do. Good luck!
  • adambannon
    adambannon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well being a man I think it is pretty low for you. Since you are over 200 lbs, I'd guess you probably burn over 2000 easily. The calculators will never be exact, but since you said they averaged about 2400, try eating 2000 calories a day for a week or two. Weigh yourself before and after under the same circumstances (when you first wake up) to see if theres a difference. Obviously if you lost weight you were in a deficit.
  • emily27uk
    emily27uk Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think that calorie count is fine if not a little high. The 'average man' should eat 2500 calories a day but this is based on a man being 5'9" tall, 35 years old and exercising 3-5 times a week with vigorous effort. Not many men actually fall into this category and if you are inactive you should be eating 500-600 calories a day less than the 'average man'. If you are shorter you will also need to reduce this intake and these guidelines are to maintain weight so if you are wanting to loose weight you will need to decrease even more.

My calorie intake is about 950 which everyone says is very low but I also have a desk job and I am very short compared to the 'average; 5'5" woman so this works for me to maintain my weight and I use exercise when I need to loose weight.

You need to try and listen to your body not what society tells you to eat. Hope this helps.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here is a great guideline for setting weekly weight loss goals:
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Based on the above, 1 pound per week is a more reasonable goal for you right now. Once you lose a few more pounds, you may even want to bump down to 1/2 pound per week.
  • hhbsd
    hhbsd Posts: 6
    Options
    Wow, stepped away from my desk for a few minutes and look at all of the great responses, thanks!

To those that asked, I was feeling hungry ALL of the time in the beginning, but not as bad now. I have taken to smaller meals with snacks in between (jerky, almonds, carrots, etc) and generally not too bad now.

For Emily, I am 6'1" so at least have that advantage, but definitely not vigorously exercising. I have been trying to walk 30-60 minutes per day (to and/or from work) depending on weather. Now that I have lost weight and feeling a bit better from a cardio perspective, I may get more motivated to do real exercise.

I may take AdamBannon and MinnieInMaine's advice (appreciate that reference cart) and adjust my food goal for 1 lb a week for a while, considering i have been averaging 3-4 lbs / week if I back out the first two. I set my original goal at 1.5 when I was targeting 90 lbs.

Appreciate the thoughts.