Working out with kids

Options
So all you moms & dads that have children (mine are 6 & almost 2), how do you work out with your kids in the home? My oldest goes to Kindergarden full time, so sometimes its just the little one and I. I've attempted JM 30DS numerous times and I get so frustrated because my baby is such a distraction. I do push ups and she's right under my face or trying to climb on me. Sit-ups and she's bouncing on my belly or thinking its wrestle time. Jumping jacks and she's trying to roll around my feet. Its very difficult. My husband helps when he can but often the times I want to work out he's busy and when he's able to help watch the kids I'm not in any mood to workout or I have other things I have to get done.

Any tips on workouts to do AT HOME with little ones that have been effective?

Replies

• LouiseOverbeck
    Options
    When my son was that little I got up before he did in the morning to get my workout done. I would also try to keep him occupied in his room with his favorite toys or coloring books etc.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The best thing for me is working out while they're sleeping. Obviously, it's not an issue with my 12 year old (we even workout together sometimes), but with my 4 year old, it has been more difficult. She's now to the point where she's old enough to understand that mommy's exercising and she has to leave her alone, and a show or toys will hold her attention, although she does often ask me a question mid-deadlift or something equally annoying. But, that's maybe once a week, and it's getting fewer now that she's napping a bit less and sleeping in more. I get up at 4:30 to get my workout in. If you're not willing to do that, then I'd suggest investing in a jogging stroller and going for long walks. A good backpack carrier (I love my rgo) will last you for awhile, too. My kids also adore Dance Party. I put on music, and we all bop around together. You can also incorporate her as your "weight" do squats, "baby curls", push-ups with her on your back, etc. I know you asked for at home workouts, but it might be worth it, to find a gym with a daycare center so you can get in a good, dedicated workout.
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Does the little one nap? Or how about working out after the girls are in bed? Maybe get up earlier to workout? This option will not work for me as I get out of bed at the last minute. I know it's difficult. I've thought about duct tape with my daughter a few times. :laugh:
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    Work out before they are up!

I babysit at home and sometimes do a Just Dance on the Wii with the kids, we walk a lot when the weather is nice.

Your 2 year old should be able to be entertained with a few books and toys for 20 minutes while you do the 30DS, even if it means putting her in a pack n play or something to keep her near, but confined so she isn't crawling all over you. She's old enough to know that isn't acceptable.

"Mommy is exercising for a bit, so you need to sit on the couch and look at your books/watch a movie until I'm done and then we can play together" is reasonable at that age in my experience.
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Does the little one nap? Or how about working out after the girls are in bed? Maybe get up earlier to workout? This option will not work for me as I get out of bed at the last minute. I know it's difficult. I've thought about duct tape with my daughter a few times. :laugh:

Duck tape...HAHAHAHA! AMEN to that! :)

Its hard to get up before everyone, but its an option some days. My husband is self employed so I help him with his business and sometimes I'm up until 1am, then have to be up at 7am to get the oldest ready for school. Its possible 2-3 days a week to get to bed earlier so I can get up earlier. But ugh...that would take getting use to! LOL

Little one naps VERY little. She's very active so if she sleeps she thinks she may miss something. IF I can get her to nap, its because we've cuddled on the couch, in which case I end up napping too. WOOPS!

I'm in Michigan so the weather is just starting to get nicer (rain of course all week) so we do thoroughly enjoy long walks & the park.
  • nauticaboo
    nauticaboo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My Little Ponies on Netflix, lol.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's so hard! You just have to find what will work best for you. I have 3 kids (9, 6, 3) and until recently I just kept falling off the exercise train. I tried in the evening after the girls are in bed but then I was always tooooo tired. So this time I decided I really wanted to do this so I now get up at 4:45, have my banana and do my 30 Day Shred. It's perfect, eat my banana, 20 min workout, shower and get everyone ready for the day. I also run a daycare and my first kids show up at 7am. If you're really wanting to do it you'll find what works best for you! Good luck!!!:smile:
  • Momma2Beauties405
    Momma2Beauties405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    My girls are 4 & 7. I recently completed JM30DS and have just this week started Ripped in 20. The only thing I have found that works is to either send them outside to play or wait until they have gone to bed. I tried to do the get-up-super-early thing but I already have to get up no later than 6:30 to be at work on time. I don't have the discipline to get up any earlier! LOL

Good luck - everyone is different. You will find what works for you. Just stick with it!
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I've had to start getting up before them to get it done...
  • momma2jillian07
    momma2jillian07 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Lots of "getting up early" mommas here. :::Sighs:::: the sacrifices we make right? :love: :love:
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have 3 kids - twins (8) and a 19 yr old...the 19 yr old is on her own now. I also run an in home daycare (up to 6 other children here from 7 AM to 5:30 PM)....NAP time is my work out time!! During the summer I am planning on getting up before my kids to get the work out in since they and my husband are complete distractions :( I can not work out at night since the husband is home! My own kids do not even let me go pee without needing me for some non sense and the husband finds the need to talk to me while working out... so i feel your pain.

For a child your child's age I would recommend either nap time or before the kids get up.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lots of "getting up early" mommas here. :::Sighs:::: the sacrifices we make right? :love: :love:

I've found it's amazing doing the early morning workout. It energizes me for my day and gives me some "me" time first thing to mentally prepare for the day of craziness!! Then I have the evening to relax with hubby. Although now that the snow is gone I plan to start the C25K in the evenings when it's possible (hubby does shift work).
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    This is the reason I have to either wake up early or workout after everyone goes to bed .. lol.. its the only way i can get a workout in.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I do Jillian Michaels videos. The easiest thing I have found? I give my daughter a set of 1 lb walking weights and she "works out" with me. She really likes to exercise with me and jumps around and does little head stands with me. She is so funny to watch, when I turn the movie on she starts dancing.
  • Exodus62
    Exodus62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My wife and I normally work out together which can be a little trying at times with out 3 1/2 yr old daughter trying to get in the mix. She will actually try and work out with us. It's quite cute as she is trying to do her exercises and runs around us as we are working out. When she gets tired she will jump on the couch and watch some toons. But for the most part if we include her even for 1 "set" she is happy that she is working out with us.
  • MandiFranco
    Options
    I have to go to the gym to workout. I get up at 4:30 and am back by 6:30 before my first daycare kids arrive. My gym has a wonderful daycare but my kids are old enough to stay home alone while I am there. If I do workout at home they do it with me. If you want to try out the gym and daycare let me know and I can get you a free two week pass for the gym, daycare is extra but not too expensive.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I get up early and do a 20 min workout before my son gets up and I do another 20 min workout when he lays down for a nap. He is only 15 months and insists on being right down by my feet when I try to work out if he is awake. Hopefully within the next month or so I can get one of those gate things to put at the end of the hallway, so when I'm working out he can't get to the living room, but until then I'll continue to do it while he's asleep.
  • crystalnichle
    crystalnichle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    everytime I try and work out the baby starts crying and the puppy suddenly wants attention! going on walks with them both is always a good work out for me or I'll lay the baby on his playmat next to my yoga mat and he just stares and smiles the whole time. so cute.
  • sammielealea
    sammielealea Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I would either getting up early, nap time, or when it's lunch time, put your 2 year old in her highchair and let her watch you work out while she eats.
  • toshntadd
    toshntadd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeah wouldn't be in my families best interest for me to get less sleep - esp first thing in the morning lol :)

I've take to finding an exercise class with Creche. Today my 2yo sat next to me and did stretches and dancing whilst I did them. Cute. My 6mo sits in the pram next to me but the hour session is ladened with bottles and putting her back to sleep. Bad timing, but I gotta do something :)

Yes my 2yo has rules about what she can/can't do when I need to do something, never stops her from interrupting just a little... :)