PCOS! ALL WOMEN READ!!! AND GET CHECKED!

Emi_the_dork
Emi_the_dork Posts: 62
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I found out at age 16 that i have PCOS - Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which has caused me to become hypoglycemic and -has been the source of me being overweight my whole life. I am determined to become a healthier person and to drop these pounds which will also to reduce the symptoms of PCOS.

PCOS causes alot of women trouble with having children and I want to be a mother someday. I had a bad childhood with being teased and abused for many things, sometimes my weight.

So if your a girl and are irregular ALOT go get checked... PCOS is one of the top things your gyno can overlook for YEARs during a routine checkup!!

PCOS can cause insulin resistance, high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, and cancer of the ovaries and uterus (endometrial cancer).

im already hypoglycemic, insulin resistant and in risk of the cancer...yay me
the only way to reduce risk or intensity of these illness is to lose weight....

and also try try TRY to have a teaspoon of vinegar now and then (it helps with the ovaries somehow..idk found out about that tip a while ago)

Replies

• Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Glad you posted this as most people do not even know what PCOS is, much less how it can affect us. :flowerforyou:
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Good advice!!

Although we have been trying to conceive for 17 months now and had scans, blood tests etc and they apparently showed nothing. Even though I had irregular cycles etc. But we are being referred to the fertility clinic so hopefully will find out from there! As I know a few people with PCOS and some of my symptoms are VERY similar!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Thank you for posting this! At about your age one of my close friends was diagnosed with PCOS. (And just so you know, she is expecting a baby boy in a few months - so far the pregnancy is going well, so don't worry!) This is definitely something that every woman should be aware of and on the lookout for. And good luck with your weight loss journey. :flowerforyou:
  • BSW2010
    BSW2010 Posts: 4
    I am so glad you posted this information. My daught in-law found out not to long ago that she has PCOS. She has always struggled with her weight even though she is a very healthy eater & excercises. She was given medicine to take that normally is given to diabetics even tough she is not. Thank you for passing this along. If you have any more information please pass it along.
    I think you have helped alot of people by doing this. Again Thank You for sharing this.
  • The strange genetic part is there is no mother - daughter relation tot he disease...but if you have a sister it is highly possible she may have it too. My two older sisters have it but i got the WORST of it. Each of them as two kids but my oldest sister tried for 2 years to concieve her first child...the second she did invetro and practically everything and got pregnant with her very last egg....it was a miracle..sadly since i have the worst of it....i have a very low risk of ever concieving....

the ultrasound they did on me and showing the cysts terrified me... it was like black pearls were covering my ovaries.. it was like a star wars movie in my body! the only thing i can do is lose weight and hope my blood sugar doesnt get worse and i can avoid uteristic cancer.....

but its possible to stil have children and its possible to LOSE WEIGHT! If anyone has PCOS and has lost over 30 pounds please stand up and share your advice!!!

i also found some tips about pcos for instance - too much dairy with women with PCOS symptoms can actually attribute to weight gain!
  • zoey116
    zoey116 Posts: 75
    I have not officially been diagnosed but my GYN has a "strong suspision" that I have it based on symptoms. She mentioned to me that she has heard of people having success with adjusting the types of carbs they are eating. Not cutting out all carbs just some but I forget the specifics. Some one on here once recomended a book

PCOS diet book by Colette Harris

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PCOS-Diet-Book-nutritional-polycystic/dp/0007131844/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277133773&sr=8-1

I've also heard others on here mention that a Lower Glycemic Index diet will help. and also mentioned a book called:

The new Glucose Revolution: Guide to living well with PCOS

I've not checked out these books yet but they sound like they could be helpfull.
  • I don't have PCOS but something very similar and I've found that only since I've lost weight (which started a while before I joined MFP) that my heath has improved no end and I can finally predict my TOM for the first time EVER.
  • Thank you for posting this. I was diagnosed with PCOS last fall. I was concerned about extra body hair, so I got checked. The thing that bothered me most, to be honest, about finding out I had PCOS, was having high testosterone levels. For whatever reason it absolutely disgusted me and made me feel like less of a woman. My doctor told me I would have to lose weight to lower my levels and decrease symptoms cause by the high testosterone.
  • FireRox21
    FireRox21 Posts: 424 Member
    I was just diagnosed with PCOS two weeks ago. However, due to other medical conditions, the endocrinologist was straightforward in telling me that conceiving a child will not be likely due to the severity of the PCOS and my RA. Being diagnosed as really shed new light on my weight loss battles for the past few years. With how much I exercise and my diet, there is no reason I shouldn't be losing weight. However, while most people here on MFP can/will lost a pound a week, it takes me almost four weeks to lose just one pound.

I will be starting medication for PCOS here soon, so I hope it makes a difference in my weight.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    but its possible to stil have children and its possible to LOSE WEIGHT! If anyone has PCOS and has lost over 30 pounds please stand up and share your advice!!!

*waves*

I've lost just about 30 pounds, does that count? ;)

It certainly hasn't been easy, and I still have a long way to go. Sometimes, seeing all the posts from people who actually are losing 2 pounds (or more!) a week can get discouraging, especially when you see that someone has lost the same amount as you in much, much less time. But I just tell myself that what I'm doing is important for my health, and for my future family, when I'm ready to have kids, and I don't give up.

Wanna know how I did it? THIS SITE!! I never would have been able to do it on my own; MFP has been an invaluable resource for me. =) I've also been trying to exercise more (I mostly use the Wii Fit and a treadmill), and making little changes- walking up the escalators instead of standing still, parking further away and walking, things like that. Like I said, it hasn't been easy, but it has always been worth it... and I know it will continue to be!

I had a friend in college who was diagnosed with PCOS very early on, when she had just hit puberty (which is pretty rare). She was able to lose a ton of weight (it was easier mostly because she was able to react to it so early on) and she said that it totally controlled her symptoms. She went so far as to consider herself cured of the PCOS, and it was all because she lost the weight! I'm not sure if I think it is actually a cure, per se, but she doesn't have any symptoms so that's all that matters! I wish I had listened to her sooner!
  • MissMaz
    MissMaz Posts: 92
    Great to know we're not alone on here! I got diagnosed officially about 6 years ago, but had strong suspicions before that appointment as my best friend has been diagnosed since puberty and we often talked about it. We went through a year of fertility treatment to no avail, but we are back to trying again, hoping for IVF and it's been my biggest motivation to lose weight. My only fear is that I won't lose enough for the doctors to be happy by the time it comes to go to our first appointment....but then again, I'm impatient anyway *L*

Well done on losing 30lbs!!! That's absolutely fantastic!

It's great to know that there is support here for us all thansk for this topic!!
  • anglion
    anglion Posts: 4
    I'm currently being tested for PCOS (I have an ultra sound tomorrow), my doctor and my dietician both believe I have it, as well as insulin resistance and a whole heap of the other symptoms.

Thanks for posting :D At least I know (if I am diagnosed) I'm not alone!
  • Danielle_81
    Danielle_81 Posts: 166
    I was diagnosed with PCOS about 7 years ago. My weight ride has been like a roller coaster! It's awful.

I just wanted to add, that even if your tests: blood work, ultrasounds and what not, come up fine you can still have PCOS. My hormone levels were fine, and I had no "visible" cysts on my ovaries ( you don't even have to have cysts on your ovaries for this diagnosis BTW! ) and my OB/GYN said, 'nope you're fine, your ovaries just quit working'

Well I then went to my PCP ( well it was about 18 mos later ), who is an internist and explained my symptoms. I was now having body hair and all this weight that literally poured on me! And she checked ALL of my labs again. Plus she checked my insulin levels, when I was fasting. That is the only level that was abnormal. And it wasn't "really" abnormal. It was at the high end of normal or a point or two into high range. SO even though my LH and FSH and blood sugar were all completely normal, I was starting into insulin resistence. She started me on the meds, unfortunately, 6 months later my cholesterol levels were sky high, but other than that as long as I stay on my medicine and don't go off for any reason I maintain my weight and my symptoms don't get worse.
  • jamiebruce13
    jamiebruce13 Posts: 3 Member
    I was tested about 6 years ago, and sure enough I have it. Im one of the lucky ones, I have every symptom/side effect that comes with PCOS. =( But I refuse to let it run me, I take action on my own life. I try every chance I get to educate people of this "disease". Let me add to this as well, if you have it then theres a good chance your mother or father carries it. If you have it, your sibblings are at high risk of having it. Don't be fooled, men can have PCOS also.

Just a few symptoms of PCOS:
    Infertility, irregular cycles, obesity, male pattern hair growth (face,chest,back, darking hair on arms or legs), male pattern hair lose (front balding or thinning), pimples, sudden weight gains.

In short, if you think you may have it, research it. I in every way was feeling like less and less like a woman. Now I know that god has challenged me with this. I am a beautiful woman who is taking her life into her own hands. I am dropping weight and loving the gym. I CAN DO THIS!!! We all can!
  • jamiebruce13
    I
  • jamiebruce13
    Thank you for posting this. I was diagnosed with PCOS last fall. I was concerned about extra body hair, so I got checked. The thing that bothered me most, to be honest, about finding out I had PCOS, was having high testosterone levels.

I feel your pain, but sweetie you are a beautiful woman. Don't let it get you down, and if people talk or say something then educate them. "YES, I have this, now let me explain why." Fight back! Keep your head up =)
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    sadly since i have the worst of it....i have a very low risk of ever concieving....

the ultrasound they did on me and showing the cysts terrified me... it was like black pearls were covering my ovaries.. it was like a star wars movie in my body! the only thing i can do is lose weight and hope my blood sugar doesnt get worse and i can avoid uteristic cancer.....

My cysts were out of this world on the ultrasound. My periods would last 3 months at a time straight of bleeding. I was told by top OB's that specialized in PCOS in my area that I would most definitely need fertility treatment to even think of conceiving a child when I decided it was time.

I had my son last year with no fertility treatment prior, he was a surprise. Don't get your hopes too down in the dumps about conceiving. Mother nature can surprise you. I've met several PCOS mommies that were told the same and I'd say 50% of them had surprise babies without treatments.
  • lesliejsilva
    lesliejsilva Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks for posting this, I have sugar problems, passed out from low blood sugar last week, can't lose weight, irregular sometimes....I'm definitely going to mention it to my OB since we will be trying to get pregnant again in a couple months!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    However, while most people here on MFP can/will lost a pound a week, it takes me almost four weeks to lose just one pound.

I will be starting medication for PCOS here soon, so I hope it makes a difference in my weight.

i feel your pain. one pound a month for me too. but it's one pound that i am not gaining so i'm thrilled! keep doing what you're doing and in a year, that is 12 pounds. you can do it!
    dawn
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    edit: double post.
This discussion has been closed.