Fruit Sugar

Options
Hello, fitness pals!

I just joined MyFitnessPal last week and so far one of biggest challenges for me so far has been sugar. Yes, I have a sweet tooth, but for the past few months now I've been trying to calm my sweet tooth with fresh fruit instead of candy and chocolate (and it hasn't been easy). But when I enter it into my Food calculator here, fruit uses up most of my sugar quota for the day. I know that fruit has sugar in it, but isn't it more important to eat fruit that watch my sugar? I have a friend on Weight Watchers and she said that all fruits and veggies are 0 points because they're so healthy.

Bottom line: does sugar from fresh fruit really count at "bad sugar"?

Thanks!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me? no. While you need to consider the calories and sugar in fruits and vegetables, I personally only limit ADDED sugars and completely avoid frankensugars (HFCS etc).
    If I eat an apple, a pear, and a cup of berries, sure, my sugars will be "over" in MFP terms. I don't sweat that, red number much because I'm getting fiber, and lots of goodness.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The high ammount of carbs in good stuff like Bananas just isn't fair. I have no scientific proof, but I gotta believe 20g of carbs from a banana is better (somehow, someway) than 20g of carbs from ice cream or bread.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    My sugar is always over any day I eat fruit. I don't worry about it as long as I stay within my calories for the day.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Hello, fitness pals!

I just joined MyFitnessPal last week and so far one of biggest challenges for me so far has been sugar. Yes, I have a sweet tooth, but for the past few months now I've been trying to calm my sweet tooth with fresh fruit instead of candy and chocolate (and it hasn't been easy). But when I enter it into my Food calculator here, fruit uses up most of my sugar quota for the day. I know that fruit has sugar in it, but isn't it more important to eat fruit that watch my sugar? I have a friend on Weight Watchers and she said that all fruits and veggies are 0 points because they're so healthy.

Thanks!

Yes, but sugar really isn't something to worry about while in the midst of a caloric deficit, unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugars
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Hello, fitness pals!

Thanks!

Yes, but sugar really isn't something to worry about while in the midst of a caloric deficit, unless you have a medical reason to watch your sugars
    This.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    There is a general consensus that added sugar is bad. I am not sure if there any consensus on large amounts of fruit sugars.

If you want to reduce sugar from fruits you can stick to berries and a few other lower sugar fruits.

It appears to me the only reason to worry about fruit sugars is if you are sensitive to them (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FODMAP ).
  • dongor83
    dongor83 Posts: 6
    Options
    i was just looking at this also and noticed as soon as i have a couple of fruits for my snacks my sugar is at limit or over.

xx
  • RoBalance
    RoBalance Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I wish in their calculator they could differentiate between sugar coming from whole fruit and sucrose. Having said that, I am wondering now whether my continuous snacking on fruit makes me craves sweet stuff even more. Has anyone tried eliminating fruit and noticed a difference in sweet cravings?
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar and that fixes that problem, I do however track carbs.
  • HennaSP
    HennaSP Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I was hoping as much. I am almost always under my carbs and calories, so this is good to know. Most of the fruits I eat are berries and apples, so I didn't think it mattered. I also use fruit a lot in baking (yummm banana bread!) to replace the sugar and oil so I always end up eating those natural sugars more that processed garbage.

Viva fruit!