Severe muscle cramps - HELP!

Options
Okay, I've started a new job - there is no sitting down so I'm on the go and moving almost continually... but when I come home to go to bed - OH THE CRAMPS!!!:sad: I was up rubbing and walking out the leg & foot cramps off and on all night. Any suggestions???? I need to do something to ease these things as they are horrible. I almost fell over last night as I jumped out the bed with cramps from my feet all the way to the buttocks! :cry: The muscles are so sore today, I'm half expecting a cramp to come on at any moment. Please, any suggestions as to how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thank you.:flowerforyou:

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    so I have had this happen before... it HURTS! What I was always told was that I was dehydrated and thats where the cramps came from. I have no idea if thats actually true. How is your water intake?
  • janicekathleen
    Options
    Try getting more calcium that might do it.
  • acstein
    acstein Posts: 55
    Options
    Water and potassium have been linked to cramping. I will usually drink about 4 glasses of water and eat a banana (a fruit high in potassium) and wait for it to kick in. Also keep in mind that you're body needs time to get used being on your feet all day.
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have had the same problem and my husband said the same thing, drink lots and lots of water, and before bed and in the morning stretch your legs and your body. Now I just get a little tightness in my calves on occasion. It can also mean you are low in potassium so eat a few extra bananas and if none of that helps, go see your doctor.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I used to get that all the time when I was on my feet all day. It was always when I was dehydrated. If you are dehydrated it is also possible you have lost some electrolytes through your sweat etc, which is where eating a banana comes in as it helps replace any potassium you have lost.

I have a small banana (or half a larger one) every morning and try and drink loads of water every day. I still get them occasionally, but not nearly as often.

If you have problems with your kidneys it might be worth talking to your doc before eating more potassium, as it can cause problems...but if you do, you probably already know!

Erika

P.S. if you don't like bananas other high potassium fruits include avocados, bananas, nectarines and oranges. High potassium vegetables include tomatoes, yams, parsnips and spinach. Other high potassium foods are whole grains, clams, cod, halibut, molasses, yogurt and nuts.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    All these ideas are great, and I've tried them all, but at Walmart, and only at Walmart I found a small red box named Leg Cramps. The brand is Hyland's. Its homeopathic, 100% natural and works wonders!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    quinine will stop the cramps--Hyland's or tonic water. you need to take a good potassium/magnesium/calcium supplement and drink more fluids. the severity you describe on the charley horses would have me consulting my doctor to rule out anything else.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Are you on any sort of Prednisone/steroid treatment? Steroids will not let your body absorb the potassium and depletes your level tremendously! With that said, my husband suffers from the type of leg cramps you describe and was told by his doctor to take a potassium supplement and to also eat a tablespoon of Blackjack Molasses (sp?) If you search for high potassium foods you will find that on most, Blackjack molasses has the highest potassium level. It is kind of strong but it works! Try to eat things high in potassium during the day and drink LOTS of water! You can also drink Vitamin Water Zero (it has electrolytes) or Gatorade. Stay hydrated!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thank you all for your insights... I do take potassium supplements (as I am low in potassium normally... I'm guilty of not eating enough natural) - the hydration thing... Calcium is not a problem as I am usually over my calcium intake for the day (s). not sure about drinking the additional water as I drink 2 32oz cups of water throughout my day while there (I can usually sneak in sips as I go past my cup in the backroom... LOL) but I will look into all options (as well as seeking medical advice). I thank you - I have to do something. :cry:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've started a new job - there is no sitting down so I'm on the go and moving almost continually... but when I come home to go to bed - OH THE CRAMPS!!!:sad: I was up rubbing and walking out the leg & foot cramps off and on all night. Any suggestions???? I need to do something to ease these things as they are horrible. I almost fell over last night as I jumped out the bed with cramps from my feet all the way to the buttocks! :cry: The muscles are so sore today, I'm half expecting a cramp to come on at any moment. Please, any suggestions as to how to deal with this situation would be greatly appreciated... Thank you.:flowerforyou:

Make sure you get enough Potassium and Sodium. Lots of people are under the impression that sodium needs to be cut right back, back, back, however, if you exercise or sweat a lot, you are losing salt and if you have a shortage, this can bring on cramp.

If you get a cramp in your leg and feel one coming on, pressing your foot against something cold may help it, (well it does with me anyway), so hopefully it would help you too.

Just keep a close eye on your electrolytes (potassium and sodium) if you are short of these, cramps are highly likely to occur.