Help!

Options
Hi, I just need some advice on logging my walking.

I walk approximately 5.5 miles four days a week for work (this equates to about 11,000 or so steps). Should I be recording this as exercise? My pedometer says I burn approximately 300-350 calories doing this. So I know it's obviously good for me, but will my body get used to burning these calories off if I'm doing it regularly?

So should I log, or not log?

Replies

• JacquiDawn
    Options
    Anyone?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Is this exercise or something that is a part of your day? I walk to metro and work everyday but I don't count that as exercise. How are your calories set up? Do they include your activity or not?
  • mtbaker64
    mtbaker64 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello.... When you did your profile, what did you put as your activity level? If you put your activity level as sedentary or low, then I'd log it. If you put your activity level as active, I would not log it, I'd just consider it as normal everyday activity.
  • JacquiDawn
    Options
    I've so far put my activity level as sedentary, but I'm thinking I'm going to change it to low, as the walking is going to and from work 4 days a week, and then I'm going to the gym every other day (for an hour at a time).

Right now I'm on 1,200 calories a day.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't log my walking around at work....which amounts to a couple of miles according to my FitBit, but I do count intentional walking that occurs. (I walk during my lunch hour most days, and before school as often as I can).
    Kaye
  • JacquiDawn
    Options
    Thanks guys! I reckon that overall opinion is to stop logging as it's fairly routine.

Massive help :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I dont log my everyday stuff that isn't deliberate exercise. A trip to the gym, yes, or a walk for exercise, yes. The several thousand steps I take at work, no. (Since I got a Fitbit I have been amazed how much I walk at work) Your walking to work is quite a distance though....maybe log half of it?
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I reckon that overall opinion is to stop logging as it's fairly routine.

Massive help :)

Make sure you up your activity though. You aren't sedentary if you walk 4-5 miles a day and then go to the gym.