skinny guy wanting to gain weight for muscle mass

Options
Long story short.... I was skinny most of my life --eat whatever I want and not gain a pound. After college, I got a sit down job and after ten years or so I was 30 pounds overweight. In 2012 I lost the weight by changing my diet to a healthy one, and I started doing cardio, and later some weight training. Here it is April 2013 and I'm back to being a skinny guy again. I Just now realized I must eat more to gain muscle mass. The problem is, if I eat A) To much food, or B) If I eat fried foods--I get acid reflux. So I am pretty much following the dash diet eating plan which means I mostly eat healthy. Am I stuck being a skinny guy and if so should I even bother lifting? I've stopped lifting and I've stopped cardio a week ago, and I've been trying to eat as much as possible, and in doing so I've gained like a half a pound. I'm even adding more fats in like walnuts, olive oil etc.. and a few girl scout cookies! :D I'm just trying to see if I can gain some weight in a healthy way. I'm just a little discouraged because if I start exercising again I bet I'll I wont gain anything again and I therefore I won't be gaining any muscle mass.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Why have you stopped lifting? If you stop lifting, the weight you gain will be fat. You can dial back the cardio, but keep lifting heavy. Search bodybuilding.com for hypertrophy routines or articles on bulking. If you're having honest to goodness problems eating enough to bulk (eating at about 20% over your maintenance requirements), then perhaps look into adding in a protein shake or bar to get more calories in. Make sure you're eating full fat dairy and no reduced fat versions of most things. But, most importantly if you want to gain muscle, you must lift heavy. I don't know anything about working around acid reflux or the dash diet, but perhaps breaking your food up into 6 400 calorie meals/snacks a day will help.
  • m4ttcheek
    m4ttcheek Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating a day?

You say you're trying to gain weight in a healthy way but you also say you've stopped exercising. So you're generally going to gain fat not muscle...
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I can't offer any expertise here, but I am curious about the responses you'll get.

I suspect you should:

-eat at a slight surplus (10%?--that's a guess)
    -significantly increase your protein intake. I haven't looked at your diary; i'm just making an intuitive leap based on what I read.
    -continue lifting heavy.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Note: I stopped all exercise as sort of an experiment here to see if I can gain weight by eating as much healthy food as I possibly can. Yes.... good point, I will increase my protein input and try to drink more protein shakes.

Note2: I try to avoid dairy mostly because it messes with cholesterol (which I forgot to mention as well). I HAD high cholesterol, but I was able to bring it down to a healthy level because of my good eating and exercise. So, I don't really want to start drinking whole milk for this reason. I do drink soymilk though --one that has a good protein source --so maybe I just need to drink more of that too. I've also started drinking Ensure.

Thanks so much for any replies here.. :)
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When you say healthy food what exactly do you mean? A little olive oil and peanut butter can add up the cals quick.....
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    My husband is exactly the same way. He's 6'4" and weighs 166-167 in the mornings. That's the heaviest he's ever been. I swear his bones are made of feathers because he has quite broad shoulders, but a 32 in. waist (but he'd love if they made 33s lol). He gets acid reflux easily (finally went to the Dr about it).

Anyway, he lifts weights and swims a few times/week and it has made a difference in his physique. He's gained about 10-12 pounds in the past few years (yes, years). I notice that when he doesn't work out, he loses muscle quickly. He stays skinny though. It's just his body type. He has a hard time gaining weight and eating a surplus. He needs 3000 or more calories/day to maintain his weight (we've tracked) and he could kinda care less about food most of the time, so it's a struggle. What has helped is eating more home cooked meals (better ingredients,way more veggies/fruits, organic meats), waaaaaay less fast food (he used to eat it everyday), and adding protein bars as a snack before workouts. He also uses "Dark Matter" after his workouts. Those were the "small" changes he could make so far.

So, my advice is keep working out. You will build muscle, you just probably won't get bulky, just lean - and that's great! Stick with it.
  • cosplayerkyo
    cosplayerkyo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been skinny most of my life and pretty much been through the same thing you have (gained a lot of weight, losing it, and being skinny again).

I've started by learning what I needed to eat. Personally, my intake consists of a ton of brown rice, whole wheat bagels, lots of chicken, and almond milk (my stomach does not work too well with regular milk).

On top of that, I lift weights a lot. If you stop exercising and just start eating, you're gain weight but not the way you'd probably like it.
    I'd recommend finding out what your starting calories should be and work your way up 100 calories a week.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Simply eat more. No magic to it.

I'm 6' 2" and 250lb + and its by eating LOTS.

Calorie bulking intake is 6500 and cutting is 4000. I need lots to grow. No more complicated than that - he's simply NOT eating enough.
  • TraceyG1971
    TraceyG1971 Posts: 123
    Options
    I would hold off on doing cardio but continue to lift. Heavy cardio can actually make you lose muscle. Here is a link that may help you out a bit. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ It can help you determine how many calories a day you should be eating. Enter your height, weight, age, activity level 1 to 3 hrs/wk, clean bulk, how many meals you eat in a day, set protein, carb and fat to 30/40/30. Then scroll down to see your results. Hope this helps.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

is another calculator.
    lift in a range of 8-12 reps, hit every body part, mix compound isolation. try to do cables/freeweights.

if you are new to lifting go for a higher rep range to prevent any injury for your auxiliary muscles due to them being "weak"
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert. And you know my views as I'm an Mfp pal of yours. But IMHO and as some others have said certainly eat more. But don't quit strength training. Strength should enhance weight gain if properly done with muscle (:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Note: I stopped all exercise as sort of an experiment here to see if I can gain weight by eating as much healthy food as I possibly can. Yes.... good point, I will increase my protein input and try to drink more protein shakes.

Suppose the above experiment works. You reduce energy output as much as possible to try and create a surplus. How much of that weight gain do you suppose will be muscle in the absence of resistance exercise?

I'll give you a hint: Not a good idea unless your goal is a belly-bulk.

I would suggest you look for calorie dense foods (aim for about 10% above TDEE in total), do little to no cardio and lift 3 days per week on a full body program that uses progressive loading.