iphone vs galaxy s4 - Advice please

Options

Replies

• CookieGem
    CookieGem Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Once you go Mac, you never go back! iPhone!

I have a 27" imac, ipad, ipod and iphone but i just dont think that the iphone is keeping up anymore. I will never get rid of my imac but i think from the response below it may be time to bin the iphone and try something different.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Once you go Mac, you never go back! iPhone!

Not true.

I have a Mac book that I love, and while I would never go back to PC, I wouldn't switch to an Iphone.
  • MrsVal03
    MrsVal03 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I think this new Samsung GS4 is finally gonna be the one that knocks of the iPhone. My upgrade is in August, can't wait!

I am eligible for a discounted upgrade.. and can get several different phones... Here's my issue..

I am grandfathered into UNLIMITED data... as soon as I upgrade, I lose that AND, Verizon now charges $30 to upgrade a phone... :(
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am so pleased this post came up as I have been wondering which way to go myself regarding the iPhone 5 or the Galaxy, I love my iPhone 4 but it is on its last legs and contract it due to finish but I do like the look of the Galaxy phone, My one concern with the Gallaxy is that is such a big phone, I keep my phone in my pocket at all times unless I am in the house, if I go outside to the post box or clothes line then the phone goes in my pocket in case I have a fall, ( I have health problems ) My question is does anyone have problems fitting their Galaxy in their pocket....... ? Shop people are not to keen on my trying to see how it goes in a pocket......
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I was split between the S3 and the iphone 5, by a stroke of luck the shop where I was buying ran out of the iphone. So by a stroke of poor supply chain I ended up with the S3 - and I'm so glad I did!

Instead of blindly claiming allegiance, here's a couple of reasons why: (in no particular order of importance)
    1. bigger screen
    2. removable (and easily replaceable) battery
    3. expandable storage - need more just pop in a SD card, much cheaper than paying Apple's exorbitant memory prices
    4. widgets! I love having weather and email notifications on my lock screen, not having to go into the actual app to see the weather
    5. not locked into an ecosystem - this has pros and cons, but I've never like the "walled garden" concept
    6. location based switching of settings - when I leave home the phone turns off wifi, increases the ringer volume and when I arrive at work it quiets the ringers and turns on wifi. seems kind of silly but I don't have the embarassment of being in a meeting and having the phone go off because I forgot to silence it and turning wifi off while out in public saves battery.
    7. was worried about app availability (use an ipad at home) and there is a replacement (some even better) for eveything I normally use in the Google store.
    8. Swype - I can type even faster now, it's incredible!
    9. micro USB charing, no proprietary (read: $$$) charging stuff)

Couple of things I don't like:
    over-reliance on Google - after the annoucement of Reader's impending shutdown it makes one wonder what is next
    almost too many settings to tweak and you can end up getting too bogged down in minutiae instead of use
    the shell is a little slippery, but can be remedied with a case
    local stores (I live in a rural area so choice is very limited) have poor accessory choices

I've only had the phone since Thursday, but I'm very impressed. I can be rough on phones so we'll see how it holds up, but so far, so good. Play with both, go by what matches your needs the best and forget about marketing hype.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I think this new Samsung GS4 is finally gonna be the one that knocks of the iPhone. My upgrade is in August, can't wait!

I am eligible for a discounted upgrade.. and can get several different phones... Here's my issue..

I am grandfathered into UNLIMITED data... as soon as I upgrade, I lose that AND, Verizon now charges $30 to upgrade a phone... :(

Switch to Sprint.

Unlimited Data, Texting, Night/Weekends, calling to any mobile phone plus 450 anytime minutes a month for around 87 dollars.

A lot of people hate sprint, but I've had no complaints.
  • natsmom118
    natsmom118 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I also have the unlimited data with Verizon-- I've upgraded (resigned contract) several times and they still kept me at the old 'unlimited data' plan. Did someone from Verizon tell you that your plan will change? I hope this is not true because I don't want to switch to Sprint when I'm eligible for an upgrade.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I Have a Motorola Atrix HD and I love it!! me and a friend were actually comparing phones (Iphone 4). The android totally Kicks the **** out of it in every way EXCEPT 1(myphone at least) the camera. Everything else IPhone sucks!:bigsmile:
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I recently switched from blackberry to the S3, and I love it! So easy to use, great screen, lots of free aps! The camera and video functions are pretty good too.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    All the "cool" kids jump on the Apple bandwagon cause its the thing to do.. I guess using a phone that has limits on its features, charges for most apps (that are free on other devices) and releases a new phone every 6 months (with features that are on other phones for 1 yr+) is awesome.
    Don't buy the hype, get the droid and set yourself free.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I hate this thread every time it comes up. But the mentality and devout attachment to platforms fascinates me.

It also fascinates me how people can make character judgements on others just because of their choice of phone manufacturer.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have the S3 and I love it. I preordered it, so it's been almost a year. No issues. Again I love love love it!
  • tbodega
    tbodega Posts: 186
    Options
    Cases and accessories are plentiful and cheap on Amazon. I've gotten some nice stuff for the Note 2 on there.

The GS3 has accessories everywhere the iphone has them..I suspect it will be the same with the GS4 shortly.
  • squirrelythegreat
    squirrelythegreat Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love my SGS3. It doubles as my mp3 player at work (turn it to airplane mode and i swear 40 hour + battery life playing music) Love the camera, the apps, and have yet to hear a bad word from anyone I know about it. Yay Samsung!
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I went from an Android OS to the iPhone 5. I wouldn't do it again. The iPhone is only meh, okay, I guess. If I had it to do over, I would go Samsung.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Dumped my iPhone 4s for a Galaxy Note II. Been very happy with it.
    Can't think of anything the iPhone did better than the Note II.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Apple OS= 1 choice
    Android=100's of choices.

Besides, you gotta love the Galaxy commercials and the way they slam Apple. "The head phone jack is on the bottom." Ha!

Plus the USB on an Android is actually USB.
    You can't plug an iPhone into the USB port on my Motorola car charger. But you can plug in any other USB device to charge it there.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    IMO it really depends on what you are goin to use the device for. If you don't care about customization (themes, how the device operates, ect), only going to call, text, email, social media and not too tech savvy then I like the iPhone. It does what it does very well right out of the box. If you want more options and capabilities I like the Samsung line of phones. On my second different GS and going to get the S4 when I'm eligible for the upgrade. You may also check into the new Windows phones. I have a few friends that have the Nokia 920's and they are very happy with them. I am running Launcher 8 on my GS2 (Windows 8 themed overlay) and it looks / operates like the windows OS for the 920 and loving it.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Apple OS= 1 choice
    Android=100's of choices.

*Thumbs up*
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I asked myself the same question - and did the research on how compatible Samsung would be with a Mac OS. Everything I run at home is an Apple product, and I've had my iPhone4 for a couple of years and really haven't had any problems with it at all.

After doing some reading I learned that the Galaxy and the Mac don't get along well and some fixes and installs would be needed, and I'm a plug and play kind of girl, that I'd just upgrade to another iPhone, unless at some point I won't need to sync my calendar and email.