Better Breakfasts and snacks?

Options
Hi all! I am new to the program and not doing very well so far. Mostly, it is because I haven't really tried to stay in my calorie count since I already had picked out and cooked most of the food for the holiday weekend. Anyways, it's Monday and I need to start getting into the habit. I already have messed up breakfast, but I will work hard to get back into it. The point of all is this, I need filling breakfasts and snacks to keep me full. I am a grazer, but if I can use that to my benefit, I think it would really help me. I'm not a big hummas fan, but I love fruits and veggies. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

Replies

• TruSunshine
    TruSunshine Posts: 178
    Options
    This is one of my favorite breakfast meals:

Thomas - Bagel Thins - Everything, 1 bagel 110 24 1 5 190
    Jimmy Dean - Turkey Sausage Patties (Fully Cooked), 2 patties 120 1 7 13 490
    Food Lion - 100% Egg Whites, 1/4 cup 30 1 0 6 95
    Total Meal 260 26 8 24 775

Calories, Carbs, Fat, Protein, and Sodium is the order that's listed above. It filling and yummy!
  • spob
    spob Posts: 206
    Options
    You should check out the lose five pounds per month challenge. I am exactly like you and have difficulty because I love food! You may find this particular challenge fun as it sets mini goals instead of overwhelming ones! I can not give advice for great breakfast today as I had chicken wings. Tomorrow if I behave better I will wow you with brilliance in the recipe dept!:wink:
  • AMOMONAJOURNEYTOCHANGEHERLIFE
    Options
    One big thing is be conscious of why you are grazing. Are you eating something just because. I used to and still struggle with getting something in my mouth every time I go to the kitchen to fill a sippy cup for one of the kidoes and or grab them a snack. Some how I end up eating from the fridge and counter every time I walk in.

So no I try and stop myself and think am I eating this cause I need it or cause I'm bored.

One great fulling breakfasts for me are two large eggs with 1/2 cup of egg beaters with 1/4 cup of low fat cheese, garlic, and onion.Or sometimes I put spinach or salsa in and or on the egg, It's really high in protein so it sticks with you better and I find it fulling and satisfying.

Sometimes I just have vanilla Greek Yogurt with some fruit. Again it's high in protein and sticks better.

Or if I'm in a hurry or just don't feel like doing much I will have a handful of Almonds and a piece of fruit.

And depending on what workout I have planned I will have a 8oz glass of skim milk with all of the options. I try to plan my meals and snacks for the whole day first thing in the morning along with what I plan to do for a workout. So if I need additional protein I use Milk to catch me up. Plus it's a good source of potassium.
  • djfshop
    djfshop Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I find that proteins are the thing that keep me satisfied the longest. Make sure its lean proteins like the turkey sausage example. The egg whites are great too. I use protein supplements to boost my veggies too. Also, I adore egg substitute in lots of recipes as well as low fat greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese.
  • rowenairene
    Options
    Are those Jennie O turkey sausage patties really good? I would hate to buy them when they're sooo expensive, but if they're really good, I will try them.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    1.100 Calorie Snacks- Popcorn, Chips, Cookies,Crackers and Nuts
    2. Fiber One Bars
    3. Light string cheese, deli meat, a pickle slice, mustard & cheese roll up
    4. Sabra Hummus Grab to GO
    5. Sabra Hummus with Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Triscuits
    6. Cracked Pepper & Olive Oil Trisicuits and 1 Hard Boiled Egg
    7. GREEK Yogurt over Regular Yogurt (Greek is higher in protein, less in sugar and TASTES BETTER it's CREAMY)
    9. Pretzles, Triscuits Thin Crisps, Pepperidge Farms Goldfish, Ritz Crackerfuls,
    10. Crunch Pack Apples
    11. Lays LITE Potato Chips (75 calories for 20 chips)
    12. Open faced grilled cheese 1 Slice of Ezekiel Bread and your fav slice of cheese(colby-jack, meunster, cheddar etc)
    13. Jello Pudding Snacks, Cottage Cheese Doubles
  • erinliz
    erinliz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't eat a lot of meat, but I like some protein in the morning to keep me feeling full....especially since I usually work out in the morning and I get SO HUNGRY!!! I like to make breakfast sandwiches. My current favorite is egg and cheese on one of those whole wheat sandwich thins. Only about 260 calories and keeps me full! :wink:
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Try Hungry Girl Egg Mug recipes (microwave) and Egg, Canadian bacon and cheese sandwich - called Morning Slider.

http://www.hungry-girl.com

Sliders
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/chew/chewdetails.php?isid=2101

Egg Mugs - there are many variations
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/hgsearch.php?keyword=egg mug

Oatmeal or a GOOD cereal with a bunch of blueberries is great too!
  • orlandosgoddess21
    orlandosgoddess21 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the great ideas! I think I need to invest some time in the Hungry Girl books. I already bought some greek yogurt though with so many rave reviews. Spob- what is the challenge and where do I find it? We are definitely similar souls, I love food and I snack when I'm bored, but I am working on finding other things to do. Thanks everyone!
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I like making an omelet with a little cheese, 1 slice lunch meat, and avocado. I top it with a little green taco sauce mmmm.
  • stephanie712
    Options
    I LOVE Shakeology for breakfast. It is quick and easy especially when you are on the run. I usually use the chocolate and mix it with 1/2 banana and peanut butter, add water (or almond milk) and a little ice and blend.

For snacks I really like brown rice cakes with almond butter...so good. I also like baked pita chips and hummus.
  • rosemary10
    rosemary10 Posts: 253
    Options
    New Breakfast we tried this week was:

Scramble together Free Range eggs with fried crumbled and drained meat counter mild italian sauage, ( or could use real bacon bits instead), scallions, garlic powder and 1 tsp water. Place on a whole wheat wrap and sprinkle 2% cheddar cheese shreds on top. Wrap it up and microwave on power7 for 30 seconds. Then put some strawberries on the plate. :drinker:

Ya know what else is good for a snack is an apple sliced with natural peanut butter spread thin on the slices.