Whole Milk / Evaporated Milk CONFUSED

Options
I seem to have a problem drinking whole milk. I LOVE DRINKING it or using it in my cereal but I find that when I do I seem to get bloated or have other symptoms of lactose intolerance. I bought two case of whole milk from Amazon; when that finished I switched to Evaporated Milk that are in the cans because they are cheaper in our local store (but they are still expensive because I live in Rural Alaska). I don't find myself getting bloated or having other symptoms of being lactose intolerant from the evaporated milk or even the occasional ice cream compared to when I was drinking the whole milk. :noway:

Replies

• jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The only thing that might make a difference is the sterilization process in making the evaporated milk does caramelize some of the milk sugar. Purely speculation on my part.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    I wish I had an answer for you hun but I'm no expert on milk and lactose intolerance. Have you tried drinking semi-skimmed?
    Tastes practically the same and it's healthier. Of course I don't know what's available to you in Alaska! Xx
  • WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you have access to raw milk, I'd recommend trying that. A lot of times, it can be the proteins in the actual milk itself. Not to get back up on my soapbox, but a lot of the milk in the US supply is actually the "wrong" kind. Here's a link to an article that might help explain what I mean, and might answer your question about possible lactose intolerance.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/07/09/the-devil-in-the-milk.aspx
  • cebiginalaska
    cebiginalaska Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I don't have access to raw milk, and I haven't tried the semi-skimmed milk before.
  • xBethanyJadex
    Options
    There is also skimmed milk which is the healthiest form of cow's milk but as you're a lover of whole milk, I wouldn't recommend it for your taste buds as it's quite watery. Hope you find the answer you're looking for soon. :)