Zucchini Pasta with marinara - Raw or Cooked?

sweetpea03b
sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
So i've been doing some searching online for new recipes and came across Zucchini Pasta with marinara but I see that some people cook the Zucchini and Marina sauce... but some people eat the zucchini raw and blend a raw marinara using sundried tomatoes, raw tomatoes, and a bell pepper.... anybody have any insight on this? I'm not vegan... am I going to like the raw version?

Replies

• WhiteGirlWasted13
    WhiteGirlWasted13 Posts: 178 Member
    I'd love to see the recipe(s) you've mentioned. I'm not a very big fan of raw zucchini, but I'd love to see a good way to use it as a substitute for grain-based pasta. I'm on a pretty strict, anti-inflammatory diet and spaghetti squash is not allowed right now.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    I'd love to see the recipe(s) you've mentioned. I'm not a very big fan of raw zucchini, but I'd love to see a good way to use it as a substitute for grain-based pasta. I'm on a pretty strict, anti-inflammatory diet and spaghetti squash is not allowed right now.

If you go on youtube and look up "zucchini pasta" they have tons of videos of people using zucchini and making a raw marinara sauce.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Not sure that you'll like it, but I eat it all the time raw. I try to eat at least 50% of my diet raw (used to be 100% raw), so I'm used to it. You must use a spiralizer to make the zucchini "noodles" otherwise it will be kind of icky. Also, the key is having a great raw marinara sauce. Best recipe I've found is the following (and I've tried many):
    1 cup sun dried tomatoes soaked in water for 30 minutes and then drained
    2 medium ripe tomatoes cut up (or 1 cup mini-tomatoes)
    2 pitted dates
    garlic
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
    salt
    1/2 cup to 3/4 cup water
    throw it all in a blender and blend until smooth. Then pour into a bowl and mix it with the spiralized zucchini.
    You could add a red bell pepper, but increase the sweetness if you are going to do that (I would add a date or some agave)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I would imagine the raw versions are posted by/for folks following a raw foods diet. I've most often seen this with a traditional cooked marinara and the zucchini thinly sliced and lightly steamed so that it is soft and pliable like pasta, but is still firm enough to hold it's shape.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    I'm not a big raw food person, but I tried raw zucchini "spaghetti" and really liked it. The texture is good and the taste quite mild. (Can't say that I was a big fan of a raw carrot spaghetti though. It tasted way too carroty.)

I'd say give it a shot! As a bonus, if you end up liking it, you save yourself a couple of preparation steps.
  • RunReadEat
    RunReadEat Posts: 37 Member
    p.s. I used a julienne peeler to make the "spaghetti." I think getting the zucchini into skinny threads is key.
  • MsFree09
    MsFree09 Posts: 44 Member

If you go on youtube and look up "zucchini pasta" they have tons of videos of people using zucchini and making a raw marinara sauce.

Hi, I made some Zucchini Pasta last month and I just ate it raw. However, I did soak them in warm water for 5 mins to give them an "authentic" feel. The sauce I made isn't vegan but I'm sure either one of the raw and cooked tomato versions are fine.

I have the post on my blog with pictures for anyone that's interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MsFree09
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,363 Member
    I like to lightly sauté my zucchini with olive oil or butter, garlic, and basil and pepper. Yum.