Pre/Post workout?

Options
What do you guys do Pre Workout? I'm starting the 30 day shred today, and i'm planning on doing it when I wake up in the morning, and I also plan on starting to have shakes and smoothies with protein daily to help with my Iron and Energy levels, should I have a shake before or after i workout? I plan on having something simple like cereal or yogurt for breakfast, and I don't know if that's best to have before or after workout? I'm new to this and I don't want to make myself sick by being uninformed. Thanks!

Replies

• gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I take a pre workout supplement, Bob the trainer from the biggest loser is big on oatmeal for breakfast...
  • jay11284
    jay11284 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Eating something small before a workout is a good idea. I usually have some almonds. I would do a smoothie or protein shake after the workout.
  • kelleher1975
    kelleher1975 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I usually just have a banana in the morning before my workout. Sometimes I may do a protien shake or protien bar. I have to have something otherwise I would not make it through my workout.
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you do eat before your workout make sure you do so with enough time for it to settle so you don't "lose it". If I work out in the morning, I usually drink some water and make my breakfast and lunch, work out and then eat. I get nauseous and heartburn if I try to eat within an hour of doing 30DS or any other HIIT workout.
  • fitnessfreddie
    fitnessfreddie Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I would be careful with a PWO if youre going to be doing something that is extremely high in cardio like 30DS or Insanity. A lot of PWO get your heart rate up and your won't need that when doing cardio. Oatmeal works good for a pre meal.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    In the past I would have a banana and a protein drink about 1 hr before lifting. Now I dropped the protein drink and just have about 20-30 grams of carbs before hand. I noticed when I dropped the protein drink I have more energy in the gym. I do however drink a BCAA drink during my workout. Post workout out I have about 45-50 grams of protein and 60-75 grams of carbs.
  • CMGoodie
    CMGoodie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I just start with water, but at the end of the workout, I'll have chocolate milk. Right balance of carbs, protein and coolness to keep me balanced....that and it's not another thing I have to spend a lot of money on.
  • kailexx
    kailexx Posts: 197
    Options
    I tried starting this morning with nothing, and even though I finished it, it was just barely. I think tomorrow when I wake up, I'll have a yogurt and a granola bar or something, wait a little bit and then work out and see if I feel a bit more energetic. I'm feeling pretty good now after having a smoothie and a sandwich, so I'll just take it one day at a time, and i'm sure i'll figure out soon enough whats best for me and my body.