Water Weight...ugh

jnichole68
jnichole68 Posts: 7
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
What is with the water weight? If I eat at a restaurant, even sensibly, no matter what I will always weigh 2 lbs more the next morning. Yes, the weight comes off quickly. In the next 24 hours, I will lose it by drinking water, but it is so dang frustrating! It's like 1 restaurant meal is the devil !! Anybody else notice this or is it just me?

Replies

• huskymum
    huskymum Posts: 3
    Probably preservatives in the restaurant food. Most restaurants these days serve food service food that comes pre-made and frozen. One remedy is to find a bistro or small higher end restaurant that makes their meals from fresh ingredients. Even if it means going out less often. You'll be eating higher quality food and probably won't see any weight gain.
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Preservatives & sodium: try taking a water pill 30-60 mins before you eat at a restaurant (I like Michaels Water Balance, very natural & not as harsh as straight water pills). Also, order you food & request them to cook it plain, no added salt: if you do veggies, ask for plain steamed in water, no butter/salt/seasoning. If you do salads, ask for dressing on side or stick with oil & vinegar.
    I have Celiac's disease so can't eat out much (gluten allergy), but when we do I special order & most restaurants will accomodate as will most chefs: they're chefs because they enjoy cooking & most enjoy a "challenge" and making their customers happy:flowerforyou:
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Yes. Every time I eat out.

I try to drink a little extra water to help flush some of the sodium out but I still put on water weight. I was at about 3100 mg of sodium yesterday and drank 13 cups of water. I was still up .4 lbs this morning. Not worried about it.

Last week I ate out several days in a row and put on 3 lbs in 3 days. Ate better for the rest of the week and kept pushing water. Dropped 5 lbs by my official weigh in day.
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Even though what you choose to eat may be "low-calorie" or a "healthier choice" it is FULL OF SODIUM! :noway:
    The thing to do is to load up on water, my good friend (also on MFP) went to a Chinese buffet and managed to avoid any weight gain and had a 4 pound weight loss the very next morning...She did this by consuming a gallon of water before she ended her day.

There is no way around it if we eat out it will be difficult to avoid the high sodium in the foods we choose, even if they are "healthy choices".:ohwell:
  • At least I'm not the only one.... I'm chugging the water today!!! :wink:
This discussion has been closed.