Running with kids who won't go in stroller?

Options
Anyone have strategies on walking/running with kids that won't go in a stroller? My girls are almost 3 & almost 4 and will not sit in a stroller but also don't walk fast enough for me to get a workout... Leaving them home is only an option on certain days and I really need the workout!!! Any suggestions on how to go about this? I took them with me this am and averaged 3mph but they were done after 27minutes...

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I put mine on a couple of tricycles. I was surprised by how quickly the little monsters could go on those. If the three year old wont bike, you could see if she would be interested in riding on a wagon, maybe?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Duct tape? :tongue: Sorry, I have no advice but couldn't resist myself.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    At 3 and 4, I'd say bikes. When they're older, they could also do scooters.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Just carry them.

Even if you only make it ten minutes, you will get a better workout than 27 minutes of walking.
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. If you don't have any other option, just keep trying it and maybe you can give them busy things to do in the stroller? Or promise the playground (or other incentive) afterward. That helped me a little.

But, to be honest, this is why I ended up need to get a gym membership some place that had child care.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Bikes. My 4 year old can go fast enough for me to jog w/ training wheels. If the 3 year old isn't up for it yet you can get one of those tricycles with a handle to push.
  • Sleepynita
    Options
    My 4 year old likes her 2 wheel scooter and can go like crazy on it, my son will ride his bike (6 years old). In fact they are both aster then me!
  • kcritter77
    kcritter77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you have a park nearby "bribe" them! Tell them if they sit in the stroller, you'll run them to the park.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Bikes or other riding toys may work.

I feel your pain on this one, though. You may find it easier, though, to plan on doing a dvd workout instead, I know it may not be your first choice but sometimes you have to go to plan B.
  • jaypalm1
    jaypalm1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Mine are almost 3 and we use bribery. They get to go to a park/something fun if they let daddy do his thing. They also get to get out of the stroller and "run" home (we live on a closed street so it is no problem).
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    1) there are bikes that have a push handle. but i don't think those will go that fast.

2) leashes. they'll be forced to keep up.

3) let them loose on a playground and you run in circles around them while they play. (don't expect to make any mom friends or get playdate invites on those days, lol)

4) finally, just break up.
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend going to a playground do laps as fast as you can around it while they go down the slide and play. I have 2 1/2 year old twins that won't do the stroller either. I still walk and go hiking with them even if it's slower you are still moving.
  • Insanity2bSane
    Insanity2bSane Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As everyone said Bike's or tricycles. Mine are a little older but when I must take them or then insist on going they ride their bikes or scotters. Sometimes they beg for one more time around the block when I'm tired, lol! Sometimes I create challenges for them where we must make it to certain point and that is fun for them!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was going to recommend going to a playground do laps as fast as you can around it while they go down the slide and play. I have 2 1/2 year old twins that won't do the stroller either. I still walk and go hiking with them even if it's slower you are still moving.
    This too. I've walked many a mile at the playground.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Get a wagon maybe?

I would just tell my daughter she is going in her stroller whether she likes it or not and put my headphones in so I can't hear her whining while she's in there.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for trying to get out there because it is challenging with preschoolers.

Here are some of the things that I did:

Leslie Sansom has some awesome videos that simulate walking and running for exercise.

If there is a middle school with a track near you, take them there and let them play where you can see them while you run. You will have your own cheering section every time you make a lap.

Find a running buddy with kids that are about the same age. You guys can take turns babysitting while the other one gets her run in.

If your kids go to bed super early, run in the evenings when the dh is home.

Do not be discouraged. 27 minutes is a good outing. Maybe add another 27 minutes for a total of 54 minutes a day. It really is better than nothing at all.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I got my daughter a bike with training wheels and she rode while I ran. I can see the 4 year old bucking the stroller but I'm surprised the 3 year won't ride anymore. The other option is more expensive but more fun. But a bike a buy that thingy for the back that they can both ride in. Kids enjoy the heck out that and you can cover a lot more ground and take in the scenery.
  • Cognito1025
    Cognito1025 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I got my daughter a bike with training wheels and she rode while I ran. I can see the 4 year old bucking the stroller but I'm surprised the 3 year won't ride anymore. The other option is more expensive but more fun. But a bike a buy that thingy for the back that they can both ride in. Kids enjoy the heck out that and you can cover a lot more ground and take in the scenery.

I used to do this...it put mine to sleep in no time.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I agree, put them on bikes! I can barely keep.up with my boys on their bikes.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    Options
    Get a wagon maybe?

I would just tell my daughter she is going in her stroller whether she likes it or not and put my headphones in so I can't hear her whining while she's in there.

This.....and strap them in good and tight and if they get out it will hurt when they hit the ground, okay okay I know that cruel, but you are the parent and they are the children make them listen to you.