Going over fat limits?

Options
Will it hurt my diet if I go over the fat limit MFP gives me? I don't go over by too much, and I stay in my calorie deficit.

Replies

• DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    caloric deficit is the ultimate rule in this
  • chasetwins
    chasetwins Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I was over mine I think a good portion of last week lol and I lost 3 lbs this week - I concentrated on Calories (of course) and making sure my protein is higher than carbs. all though that may not make a difference
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just got help from someone who knows more of what they are doing and had to manually adjust my calories and fat and all that by going by my measurements and so forth. The settings FP gave me where not set to my personal needs and stuff I would recommend asking someone to point you in the right direction I would but I had to get walked through it and I prob couldn't do it solo and wouldn't want to to help you I would rather a more exp person guide you I still have me blinders on im a newb lol
  • BmrSnrAlly
    BmrSnrAlly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2FatToRun is right. Below is a link to a forum post that give some good guidance on how to personalize your settings..

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013

As far as the fat goal goes, your body's requirement should really be derived from your lean muscle mass, which MFP would not know. A good guideline would be about .5g of fat/lbs of lean body mass.

Most importantly though is the type of fats that you are consuming. Forty grams of bad fats vs 40g of good fats are handled very differently by your body and will either help or hurt your weight loss goals. You may already know, but good fats would be fats from things like olive oil, avocados, nuts, and salmon (omega 3 fatty acids.) Your body NEEDS these fats to help fuel your weight loss. It may seem counter-intuitive, but healthy fats in the right amount can help your body burn more unwanted fat. Hopefully that was helpful.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,131 Member
    Options
    This is a much better guide than Road Map..Short to the point and not so complicated that you need a degree in science to figure it out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • 2FatToRun
    2FatToRun Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I just went over on my fat with lunch HA! BUT the good thing it was the fat in the pecans I ate in my salad. I just cant feel guilty or bad about nut fat. So to add to this topic it will also depend on what kind of fat you are consuming wouldn't it?
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    Will it hurt my diet if I go over the fat limit MFP gives me? I don't go over by too much, and I stay in my calorie deficit.

No, besides your body is not constrained by macro percentages anyway. Stick with your deficit.