Slowly gaining weight after a 40 pounds weight loss

Options
2»

Replies

• catricea
    catricea Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the same issue. I eat great at work and throughout the day but, when I come home, not so good. I am working on it and it has taken me four months to lose 20 pounds. I have been trying to be deligent about tracking my food, even the bad stuff. I have come to the realization that a 45 year-old woman that wants to maintain a healthy weight cannot eat like a teenager. I have to give up some of the foods that I love. I can't just workout and eat whatever I want.
  • catricea
    catricea Posts: 4
    Options
    One day at a time. You can do it.
  • skinnytayy
    skinnytayy Posts: 459
    Options
    Well I'm basically in the same situation. In 2010, I lost 30lbs using MFP and I veered off track and gained 29lbs back. Finally decided enough was enough and got my butt back on here. I eat 10x better now anyways and it helps that I have a wedding in December. Really want to "wow" my family and friends.

You can do it! Just get back in here & log everyday, no excuses. Then work on making healthier choices and control your portions. Get your workout on & you'll be good as new in no time. =)
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I lost 20 pounds and reached my goal weight, and I felt amazing. But I felt like I was too obsessed with tracking my food, almost to an unhealthy level. So I stopped tracking. I *thought* I was eating just as healthy and exercising as much, but over the past couple months I've gained back 5 pounds. I'm back to tracking now to lose them again and then I'm going to try again. It's rough, we've just gotta hang in there until we get it right.
  • Christinesyear
    Christinesyear Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I could have sritten this post. I have nothing to add, other than I fell where you are. I can't ever bear to change my ticker becasue if I do, that to me is failure. I can't wait to get back to better workouts and my life (after 9 weeks of jury duty, on which I gained 8 pounds)). I am off to a rough start. I have got to get this under control.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    When I first lost weight I used to be so good with food tracking. I was training much less that I do now but I was really committed to measure and weight everything I ate.

^^^Do this again. You can do it!
  • mumtoonegirl
    mumtoonegirl Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I realized that this is my life going forward, when I was 75lbs overweight at some point in your life for me I know that food tracking and fitness is part of my day to day. Keeps me focused.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I really needed to see this post. I am at my last two pounds, which will give me five pounds of insurance. I am so afraid of gaining everything back. I have promised myself that if I gain five pounds I will refocus. I, too would freak out at 10. But, it's still only 10. You realized it at a small gain. You aren't looking up the mountain of a large gain. If I gain again, I hope to God I am able to do what you are doing.
  • donald149
    donald149 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend logging your food. (If you don't already) Nothing helps you eat cleaner than a group of random Internet strangers. :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    The biggest challenge is actually maintaining after the weight loss. We can't just go back to our old eating habits. That's why I tried to pick an eating and fitness lifestyle that I was willing to maintain for the rest of my life so that I could keep the weight off and stay healthy. However you choose to lose weight, make it something you can live with the rest of your life and it will be that much easier to not go back.

Yes... and no...

I agree that the biggest challenge is maintaining. There's a reason so many of us "more mature" MFPers have many experiences of losing and gaining weight. But I think it's more than picking an eating and fitness lifestyle you can maintain. I've NEVER followed diets etc. I've always lost weight by healthy eating, smaller quantities and exercise. But sadly I think I have to accept that for this to work for me I'll need to be prepared to log, weigh regularly and generally be obsessive for the rest of my life.

I just point that out because it's more than just choosing something you can live with. You also have to deal with the reality of living with it. And for many of us I suspect that's never going to be easy.

I don't think it's too bad if you don't let it get away from you. The trick is not to let a few pounds become 5 pounds or 10 or...

I've been at maintenance since July 2012. Because I NEVER want to have to lose 45 pounds again, I weigh myself everyday and allow a 2 pound fluctuation. When my weight is above that threshold (only happened a couple of times) I reduce my cals slightly or up the exercise for a week or two until it's back in range. It is much easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too bad if you don't let it get away from you. The trick is not to let a few pounds become 5 pounds or 10 or...

I've been at maintenance since July 2012. Because I NEVER want to have to lose 45 pounds again, I weigh myself everyday and allow a 2 pound fluctuation. When my weight is above that threshold (only happened a couple of times) I reduce my cals slightly or up the exercise for a week or two until it's back in range. It is much easier to lose 2 pounds than 20.

I agree. But that's what I'm saying (it sounds like you are similar to me). You've maintained for less than a year (although well done for even that long). You have to be prepared to be vigilant for the rest of your life.

I'm just saying it isn't only about losing weight in a sensible way. For many of us it will also require accepting that we're never going to not have to carefully monitor our weight.
  • isanomade
    isanomade Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your support! I bought the audio file "Four Day Wins" yesterday. It seems like a really good psychology book to help me with my weight loss goals. In an ideal world I want to loose the 10 pound I gained + another 15 pounds. You can ad me as a friend if you want to be part of that journey and I would be happy to support you in return.
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Was the diet that helped you lose sustainable to your lifestyle?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Your scenario is pretty common, I think. When losing weight there is a goal. And there is noticeable improvement that others compliment on. In maintenance, the goal is nothing. Not gaining is typically not noticed or complimented by others. We lose that momentum and that praise that kept us going. It's probably the biggest reason people yo-yo diet.

It might be helpful to set non-weight related goals for yourself. Whether it be eating related or fitness related. For you, perhaps small goals related to binging would be helpful.
  • isanomade
    Options
    I started with the website fitday.com. Then I hit a long plateau and tried MFP instead. I like the format better.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I understand very well. If you're able to setup a sustainable lifestyle now without having another year go by with another 10 lbs added, I'd highly suggest that. I had lost 60 lbs in 2005. It took the 5 years after that to gain it all back. I had done the same roughly - add 10 lbs each year.

For me I stopped with the exercise I had done during loss so it's finding what you can keep doing as a lifestyle. Make sure your calories are at the optimum level for you, as it may help to not have binges.

Also be aware of what's the first thing that gets dropped when you're sliding up, and try to make sure that first thing doesn't slide.
    I think it's mostly being mindful of what your state is in during weight loss and what it gets to in the upward slide.

For myself this time around, I am doing less exercise as I know that's the first to get dropped if I'm doing too much. It's just setting up the routine for myself and making sure it's at a level I can maintain for life. In the future, when I'm ready, I'll add more.
  • isanomade
    Options
    Thanks, it does make sense. I know that the binge eating is the reason why I am gaining weight. I need to recreate that momentum again!
  • joe7880
    joe7880 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add that you will stay at the lower weight only if you maintain the lifestyle that got you there. Did you binge eat when you lost the weight? Also, you may want to explore seeing a therapist about why you binge eat to address the underlying reason because simply stopping is very difficult long-term without addressing the why you do it.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I hit my all time low weight in July 2012, 143. This morning I got on the scale and it read 153. I had lost a total of 47lbs. I know how I gained it, I went back to a lot of my old habits (drinking too much, eating too much and the wrong things, and stopped exercising). Today is my first day back to getting back to "new" habits. I learned my lesson. My goal is to get to 148 and continue to find time for exercise!