What did it take to get you running?

Options
124»

Replies

• eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'd say two things motivate me to continue running. 1.) It's the shortest exercise I do. My ratio of calories burned per minute makes it worth squeezing in. 2.) Because it's easy to squeeze in, it's the easiest to talk myself into doing when I don't feel like it. And a 15 or 20 minute run is better than no exercise at all!
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The Zombies, Run! app! It makes it like a game, which is appealing to me. Also I get to eat more calories for the day, which is definitely a motivator. :P
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Because suddenly walking just wasn't enough. And the first time I ran a mile, I got that runners high. Still working on it, I can only do about 2 miles solid, and I'm very slow, but my times are gradually creeping up and love how I feel after a run, even if I don't like the act of running.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Before pregnancy and childbirth I was in excellent shape from boxing, pilates and 10 hour hikes once a week. I was relatively low weight before, but gained 67 lbs during my pregnancy. I'm a single mom and work full time so I found it impossible to exercise for the first year and a half. I had lost some weight naturally when she was born and right after, but once I went back to work I started gaining again. It occured to me that running was something I could do with my daugter (in a jogger) so I started with c25k. The thing that kept me going was that I was terrible at running and I hated it. I kept doing it though because I knew it was good for me and I wanted to show running that it couldn't beat me. Two years later, I love it. It relaxes me. I'm not super fast or anything but I'm now averaging 9 minute miles for shorter diastances and 10 minute miles for half marathons.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    At the age of 32 I had a massive stroke at the end of October. I was completely paralyzed and they told me I might never walk or talk again. Well apparently, I said F*^% that! I like to do things people tell me I can't do. This time I'm doing something even *I* told myself I couldn't do.
  • jessicawrites
    jessicawrites Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I started running in my senior year of college because I'd gained weight and wanted to lose it for graduation. Chose running because of the calorie bang for your buck. I was embarrassed by my inability to run for more than 10 minutes at a time, at a slow pace. My stamina is the first thing to go when I'm out of shape, but that also means it's the most dramatic thing to come back. I notice my endurance increasing before I see changes in muscles, or sometimes even changes on the scale.

I restarted running last December in preparation for my first 5K in May and to have that endurance feeling back. A high point was noticing that when I walk outside now, my body feels primed to run. I get impatient with myself for "just" walking. Yesterday, I did a 4.5 mile run, which is the longest run at a stretch I've done in about 3 years. It does slowly get easier, I built up mental as well as physical endurance, and the milestones (sometimes literally :) ) are fun.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    It took a buddy to motivate me, some good running shoes to stop my feet from hurting, and the feeling that I got when I finished my first race to keep me going :)
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I have always wanted to be a runner but I was always (in my eyes) too big to run. Even in high school and I was so self-conscious that I couldn't image trying because everyone would look and point. Yes, my high school years were horrible.... So, when I started heading to the gym 2 years ago and walking the trails around my house I finally convinced myself that it didn't matter what I looked like when I ran, it's something I've always wanted to do and I could do it. Until the last couple months I would never run during peak times of traffic because that small voice in my head would tell me how bad I'd look running and finally just said to myself, "who the hell cares, you're doing it more than them driving by are doing." I've even had "run dreams" if that tells you how much my body and mind were telling me to go for it. I'd like to say it was losing weight or health reasons, it was me just deciding that I shouldn't give up on my dream and it'll only get better and easier if I just do it...
  • khoj
    khoj Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have realized that I have a closet full of beautiful clothes that don't fit. I want to wear them and feel good! Sticking to a running routine and watching what you eat makes the weight come off quickly! Love it!

Just recently started running again! Plus the runner's high is magnificent!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    signing up for a mud race AND turning 40. seemed like an interesting thing to do. finished the race and immediately starting looking up other races to register for. that was it. i was hooked.
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was fast and good at running when I was younger. I never had to train to do well on my fitness tests as a Marine. I got out, got a good job, and got fat.

Started running again 3 years ago, and now it's an addiction. It's my therapy. It's my everything. I couldn't imagine not running now. I run 6 days a week and hate my "off" day.
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I just lost my ACD and I'm still lost without her on my runs. I miss having my partner, they are awesome coaches.....you will love it!
  • hello_c_cup
    hello_c_cup Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My story is in my profile. But here's the cliff notes version.

Twenty years ago, I was held captive, tortured, raped and nearly killed. Running was one of the multitude of things I blamed my attacker for "taking" from me. One random day 16 months ago, I realized he hadn't taken running from me, I let him have it. So I started running again (well, lumbering jog since I was morbidly obese at the time). That one random moment completely transformed my life, physically and emotionally. Running was the first thing I took back just because I wanted to, and that was enough to push me over the recovery hump to a place where the assault is but a blip in my life.

Just had to say -- you're a badass and an inspiration. Thanks for telling your story, and cheers to you for OWNING your life. You have all my well-wishes!

For me, it took ... getting out and running to get me running. After biting the bullet, rolling out of bed and taking that first morning run, I was hooked. These days, I think I'd go crazy having to waste my whole day at my ****ty job if I didn't at least get run time in for myself.
  • wllwsmmr
    wllwsmmr Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It was the best cardio option for me because it works the whole body, and raises my fitness levels really effectively! Also love it for you don't need any equipment or gym, you just need a decent pair of running shoes and you're good to go! I also like the feeling I get after I run.. Makes it worth the effort to get my *kitten* off the couch!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I had to lose ten pounds fast for a skimpy costume.
  • mrso97
    mrso97 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I got roped into volunteering to run a 10k ..yes I was drunk...and yes I had never ever ever run before..i started c210k in November..i hated it...but I stuck with it...one nice day in December I decided to run to my brothers house..3.49 miles...I did it...I was immediately hooked...I ran the 10k in march 67 minutes..now I run 3 to 5 days a week...I LOVE IT! I ran outside all winter ( I live in buffalo, ny) I cant wait to see what its like to run when its warm! I don't believe that running is for everyone..i do however, believe that if I could do it..anyone can!
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Signed up for a 5 km then started running lol a little backasswards but meh it worked