I "whooshed" and went on a binge.....

Options
Hello MFPers......
I am about 3 months into MFPing - I am not on a "strict diet" - I am watching my calories approx 1500-1600.
Last week, for the first time EVER - I was very excited as I could tell I was about to "whoosh" (No weight fluctuations, getting jiggly), and sure enough - Sat morning - 2lbs down (Im usually a 1/2 per week type person).

This elation was quickly followed by devouring everything in sight......through hunger (and I think thirst).
I had not cut back on calories or anything, I had not changed my diet, it wasnt "cravings" - just an overwhelming urge to eat.

Good news: Im back on track far quicker than I used to be - this binging used to carry on for a couple of weeks, and this time its only been a couple of days (Did I really go over 1000 calories yesterday?)

I call it my "self-sabotage" - whenever people start saying "oooo are you losing weight" - or I know that I am (eg: following a whoosh, jeans are lose out the dryer) - I start eating and eating and eating......

Does anyone else have this?

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    for me, i know i'm used to celebrating anything and everything with food. i'm trying to break myself of thinking that i can reward a loss with an ice cream sandwich or something of the like - it's totally counterproductive! maybe try to plan a non-food reward for your next big loss (like a tattoo, new clothes, massage, etc)
  • jay10587
    jay10587 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Yes, I haven't weighed in for a few weeks because i've sort of been at a plateau. But this past Saturday I decided to hop on the scale thinking I wouldn't see a difference, and BAM! 6lbs down!!! I was like wooooooohoooo!!! And then devoured half a pizza yesterday.....lol

But hey, I'm not gonna gain back 6lbs in one day..and back on track again today!

Give in to the MINOR cravings, as long as you are aware that it's bad and you have to get back on track the next day :wink:
  • fruitleaf
    Options
    I used to do this ALL the time. Once I found out I lost a bit of weight, I'd eat like there was no tomorrow. Eventually, I stopped myself from doing this because I knew, afterwards, I would feel terrible - plus, it just slowed my progress down. I still do eat bad foods but I eat them in moderation (beats eating everything in sight, haha). :smile:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    YES. I find when I hit a new low weight on the scale, I tend to go on an eating spree, and following that is a long amount of time before I see that same low weight again (mostly due to the water weight from all da carbs, and my body probably going 'wtf' at a sudden inflation of calorie consumption). So my progress is quite slow because of this annoying cycle.

It's making me wonder if I should just ditch the scale for months at a time...
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I'm the exact same way. I chalk it up to a fear of success.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I would do this every time my weight dropped under a certain number, 190, 180 etc. I did that for about 6 years. I would think I had been successful, so I would go back to eating the way I had before. Amazingly the scale went back up :ohwell: . I really had to break through this on a mental level. I had to tell myself, out loud, "I am not done yet. I have a long way to go." I have not completely broken the habit, but I am a lot better than I was.
  • j9ster
    j9ster Posts: 3
    Options
    I have a meal every week where I don't track the calories (normally a Friday or Saturday night after weigh in). I have a theory that it maintains the body's metabolism that would otherwise slow down through constant calorie control. Also, by allowing myself a "treat" meal, I am less likely to fall off the wagon completely and binge.

Don't beat yourselves up over one day, the key is getting back onto it the next.
  • c2hrist3a
    c2hrist3a Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I did it last week too! I got out of the 230's and celebrated...a little too much. It's hard to get back on the wagon. That's why we're here. To break destructive habits. I haven't conquered it yet, so, I guess I'll keep coming back each day.

Nice honesty-it takes a lot of courage to do it!