Options
13»

Replies

• karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not = bad.
    bad = bad.
    Carbs = energy. . . So don't cut out your energy, just make sure you are getting the best "bang" for your buck. Set up a moderate level of carbs, proteins & fats & stick to it.

I'm with the crowd who do the above & says "if it fits / it works". I just finished a 12 wk cut. Cutting approx. .5 bf% a wk & about the same weight, if i had to guess. I ate 35% carbs @ anywhere from 1500(leanest) - 1800 + workout calories, and i had enough energy to get in two strength training workout in / day.

Unless you have some medical condition that makes your body adversly affected by starches / carbs. I wouldn't worry about it. Just set goals & fill your goals up w/ healthy choices.
  • Bmoviemama
    Options
    I am on a Ketogenic diet and I love it. This is my third week and I've lost 11 pounds since I started it. There are a lot of great low carb recipes online. The goal is to keep my carbs below 50 six days a week and below 20 one day a week. I have felt realy good on this.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    all I can comment is;

Which race has the longest life span again? Oh, the Japanese. What is the staple of their diet again? Oh, rice. 60% approx. of their diet is made up of carbs.

Just eat less, avoid crap (i.e. all the sugary stuff) and get lots of veggies and you'll shed the weight in a manageable, healthy way :)

Sick of carb haters, once Japanese are brought into the ring all I can say is 'your argument is invalid'

The Japanese also eat a LOT of fish and eggs. Rice is a daily thing, but it's not consumed in huge amounts all at once - snacking (or taking several small meals) is very common. People in Japan in general walk...a LOT - not that many cars per person as in North America. Longest life span has just as much to do with lifestyle as with diet. Okinawans, likely the Japanese you're referring to, have the lowest-stress/laid back local culture of all the Japanese islands....and honestly they're not really Japanese as they were a separate kingdom long before being claimed by Japan. Overall, the Japanese have a different lifestyle that impacts their health just as much if not more than their food intake.

Can't really compare diet unless you take lifestyle into account.

+quoting above posts, I guess I really have to stop reading anything written in Australia, countless times they try to manipulate too much. My apologies for not doing further research. I am totally aware that stroke is a big issue and can imagine how diabetes is as well with all the candy. I by no means am advocating lots of refined carbs, rather that carbs aren't some evil monster to stay away from.

For sure Okinawans are not Japanese really at all traditionally - much of their culture comes from China. I live here in Japan and have studied the language etc for some time now and observe the eating and lifestyle habits which I myself have adopted.

Carbs are not seen as a monster here. People ride bicycles and walk everywhere. There are definite social issues (suicide and overworking) but their diet is phenomenally better than the West. That and portion sizes. Sizes my friends 'complain' about in restaurants back where I am from in Sydney are normal here. I myself was shocked at first, but once adjusted I realised that we really are inclined to simply eat far too much.

I think my whole point was not to let the OP be shocked about carbs. They are so important for your body, and of course complex and less refined is best - I tend to have red and brown rice these days, just white when I eat out

Just trying to help!

edit: yeah they eats so much fish and eggs! You should see the seafood sections here.. I get excited every time I do grocery shopping. Fish is almost always a daily staple. Standard breakfast is raw egg with fermented soybeans on rice... not digging the fermented soybeans (yet) but I watch my boyfriend eat it and I still am intrigued at how strange it is haha

edit2: snacking is not as big a thing here as you seem so think... it isn't standard procedure per se. They just have smaller meals than us in the West and their snacks (everyone snacks a little generally) are traditionally dried fish or an apple!

Although I do not live in Japan, I have been there several times and each time stayed a few weeks (specifically in Tokyo and Kyoto) and all I can tell you is what I've personally observed. Rice is a big deal there, for sure, and Japanese sticky rice is a wonderful delicious thing. The reason I'm emphasizing lifestyle over macros in this case is that while I was visiting in Japan, I (obviously) ate much like they did (I'll eat anything, totally NOT a picky American! ;) ) and I DID lose weight because of all the walking and moving about. I tried to adopt the same diet when I returned to the States, but I ballooned quickly because I drove more and walked less - overall lifestyle change. Portions were generally smaller there (like you said) but not really that much smaller to me.

As for snacks, I saw a lot of people buy those egg/whatever sandwiches or onigiri and other very refined carby things at Lawsons or Family Mart. I'd imagine in Okinawa the rush-rush life isn't as prevalent so less snacking.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Carbohydrates are the chief source of energy for all bodily functions...
    No. ATP is the chief source of energy for all bodily functions and can come from several sources, primarily fatty acids or glucose.
    and muscular exertion.
    Not entirely true. For any exertion in the aerobic range we can use fatty acids or glucose to manufacture ATP. Only for anaerobic exertion do we need glucose, though we will first use the small stores of creatine phosphate everyone has in the muscles. Once creatine phosphate is expended we require glucose to produce ATP for anaerobic metabolism, which low-carbers get from circulating glucose and glycogen stores. Glycogen stores are slightly reduced in ketogenic dieters, however.

It should also be noted glucose is metabolized in the ketogenic person without need for dietary carbohydrate intake through the process of gluconeogenesis.
    They are necessary for the digestion and assimilation of other foods. They help regulate protein and fat metabolism, and fats require carbohydrates to be broken down in the liver. They also provide some of the structural components necessary for the growth and repair of tissues.
    None of this is true.
    All carbohydrates contain 4 calories per gram.
    This is approximate, but true.
    [/quote]
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Good post, albertabeefy.

Some amusing reinvention of basic facts in this thread.