baby shower for second baby (new hubby)

Options
Fr3shStrt
Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
thoughts?
My friend just mentioned that she is sad she won't be having a baby shower. Her other child is 8 years old. Should I try to throw something together for her?

Replies

• laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Her child is 8 years old, I hardly doubt she still has any of her previous baby stuff. If by some miracle she does, I would throw her a diaper shower. Those diapers come in handy!
  • RosaLaRose
    RosaLaRose Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laural007, diaper shower is a great idea. Also, if the new baby is a different gender from the 8 year old you definatly want to do new stuff.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I personally think every baby deserves a baby shower.
  • ibbray04
    ibbray04 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I agree with PPPs... since there is such a difference in the age of children, she should have a shower.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels right. If you friends and family support then do it.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It may just be where I am from, but my family, church family, friends, etc have thrown a baby shower for every child. No matter if the parent had one kid or five kids. Of course we don't go wild and out on gifts, usually $10-$20, unless it is some one real close to you.

I don't see why you couldn't throw some kind of shindig for her. And like Laura ^ said, you could do a diaper shower. I can give you link to really cute craft called a diaper cake.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    I personally think every baby deserves a baby shower.

^^Same here! Well, unless they are less then 2 yrs apart and the same sex...then i have heard of women having a Sprinkle...kinda the same as a Diaper Shower. I think she would really appreciate it if you gave her a shower. :-)
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If she thought she was done having kids, regardless of gender, she probably doesn't have anything at all.... I think a shower is an excellent idea. Heck, maybe even a couples baby shower?? (Since it's his first one, he may be interested in doing the couples thing and having his guy pals there, too?) Just an idea... :)
  • MrsVal03
    MrsVal03 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I thought Etiquette was 5 year difference in children &/or opposit gender....

HOWEVER, EVERY baby & mama deserves a shower!
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    It may just be where I am from, but my family, church family, friends, etc have thrown a baby shower for every child. No matter if the parent had one kid or five kids. Of course we don't go wild and out on gifts, usually $10-$20, unless it is some one real close to you.

I don't see why you couldn't throw some kind of shindig for her. And like Laura ^ said, you could do a diaper shower. I can give you link to really cute craft called a diaper cake.

I make Diaper Cakes all the time...theya re REALLY cool!! :-)
  • wineplease
    wineplease Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Did she say why she wasn't having one? Is it because she doesn't want one or thinks it's tacky? I'd offer and see what she says.
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

I make Diaper Cakes all the time...theya re REALLY cool!! :-)

I know me and my aunt usually tag team and make big ones and give them a theme. We did one all bath time things, one with all kind of toys, one with bottles and pacis, and even one that was covered in hair bows we made.
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    The problem is I don't really want to throw one for her. I'm still recovering from her wedding which was less then a year ago (I had to fly out of state and use vacation time for). Maybe I'm being a horrible friend. Obviously, part of me feels like I should do something for her, but I really don't want to. I'm clearly just a horrible person. I would happily go to a shower if someone else threw it, but it doesn't look like that is happening.
  • juliekins64
    juliekins64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi, first time moms get baby showers and second time around it's called a sprinkle because it's smaller gifts and mostly just a lovely get together. In this case I think a real baby shower is a must. If you can't throw it don't worry, most ladies get a small one from their coworkers. Just mail the gift and make a point of visiting her and bringing a hot meal once the baby is born.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    My kids are 26,24 and 8.

I didn't have showers for the first two but when my little miracle came a long,I needed one.

Mainly because I didn't have a CLUE as to what changed in baby supplies in 16 years.

Now my friends daughter is 21 and having her third baby in three years and wants a shower because it's her first boy.

I will not be participating in that.Maybe pick up a couple boy outfits but not going to another shower.
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The problem is I don't really want to throw one for her. I'm still recovering from her wedding which was less then a year ago (I had to fly out of state and use vacation time for). Maybe I'm being a horrible friend. Obviously, part of me feels like I should do something for her, but I really don't want to. I'm clearly just a horrible person. I would happily go to a shower if someone else threw it, but it doesn't look like that is happening.

Well, I don't think you're "horrible" for not wanting to throw one. But, I guess I'm not sure why you asked the question, then.... ;) If you don't WANT to do it, it's as simple as that. Don't. Her family, another friend, a friend of the hubby, WHOEVER, can throw one if they want. You don't have to feel obligated just because she said she's sad she's not having one. That's just my two cents....
  • stephanne82
    stephanne82 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think she should definitely get a shower. Even if she has things from her 8 year old, most of it probably doesn't meet the safety requirements today. I also think that every baby should get a baby shower :)
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Maybe call a relative of hers or her mom and ask who is throwing one because you don't want to miss it? If there are no plans in the works, and they can't afford to buy all the baby stuff themselves, I'd say call a few friends up and get one together. Tell them it's a potluck brunch or whatever so you don't have a huge cost, supply beverages and give her a multipack of sleepers in a couple of sizes, and a first aid/toiletry kit that includes the nasal aspirator, nail clippers, medicine dropper, etc. It's practical, fairly cheap, and chances are she doesn't have those items in the house anymore, and no one thinks to buy it. Baby gifts don't have to be huge and elaborate and expensive. If they haven't pooped all over the clothes and ruined them, they grow out of them in two months anyway.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    There are 15 years between me and my brother, so obviously my mom had another baby shower. But then my sister was born a couple years after my brother, and she had a baby shower for her also. It was definitely much smaller though, only family and close friends. Maybe throw her a small one?
  • MizVandyk
    MizVandyk Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I believe every baby deserves a baby shower! It is ridiculous for people to think its not proper. sure if your kids are like a year apart and the same gender maybe you don't need a lot of extra stuff. But, my kids are 6 years apart and different gender LOL so I, like many second time mommas were starting over =) throw that girl AND her miracle a party, she deserves it!