Sore 3 days after my 1st run

Options
I went for my 1st run in nearly 20 years on Friday (5k) and although I felt great (strength in my legs seemed fine it was the cold air on my chest that hurt) straight after the run the next morning I was really sore (just thighs) & Sunday I was even worse. It's tailed off quickly today (Monday) but I still don't think I should go for another run just yet.

My question(s) therefore are...

Do people run when still sore? Why/Why not?

What is the best thing for my thighs after a run? Ice? Cold Water? Supplements? Warm bath? Vitamin B/C/E? Foods?

Replies

• stefa711
    stefa711 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you did too much too soon, my friend. I take a daily tissue rejuvenator supplement and it seems to be working so far (hardly any soreness from my 16 miler yesterday). Just take your time and ease your body into it. You don't want to get injured.

EDIT: and to answer your question of running sore. Yes and no. If you're so sore you can't walk, I wouldn't run. Otherwise, if I have a scheduled run, I do it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't get sore from running (unless my shoes need replacing). However, I do get sore from my strength training. I still run - it actually helps the soreness. Now, this is specifically for general soreness, not something that could be an injury.
  • mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with the too much too soon.

As someone above said, I wouldn't run if you are so sore you can't walk. Otherwise go for it.

When I feel soreness in my legs after a run, I get a warm bath and then ice them and elevate for a bit. Always helps me!
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

I do if it's just general soreness mainly because I find that exercise helps work out the soreness. It might be slow and a short run, but just doing something helps.

What is the best thing for my thighs after a run? Ice? Cold Water? Supplements? Warm bath? Vitamin B/C/E? Foods?

Cool down and stretch really well. Stretch periodically throughout the day. That's generally what I do. I have never found any one food helpful although I generally eat more protein and potassium following exercise.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    There's a type of 'sore' that can actually feel better if you run again (maybe not as far), but there's another type of sore that is the 'you need to stop for a while and rethink this' sore. Try a short run again and see how you feel - and if it is the first kind, it should start to get better as your body gets used to the activity.
  • Melodypharmon
    Options
    It took me a while for my muscles to stop being sore. When my calves hurt I have noticed a significant help when using compression sleeves/socks. Heat/cold compresses are good. I also use an essential oil from Doterra called Deep Blue. It's like Icy hot, but without all the extra chemicals. It last a minimum of 4 hours for me. You should still run when it's a little sore, but not extremely sore. Maybe don't try to run so often at first?
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

Yes, I do, as long as I know it's soreness, not an injury. I was an athlete my whole life, so I feel I can safely make this assessment, and I also know that "3rd is the worst". The 3rd day is the worst for almost anything: injuries, muscle soreness, cramps. But, it also sounds like you did WAY too much too soon. Not running in 20 years, then running 3 miles is pretty intense. You should work your way up.

I can't stress stretching ENOUGH. It prevents muscle soreness and injuries...I learned this the hard ways. If I am feeling especially sore I will take a warm Epsom salt bath, but do this sparingly. Also, potassium helps muscle soreness, and staying hydrated!!
  • michellelemorgan
    michellelemorgan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had this problem when I first started running. Just keep running and eventually the soreness will stop once your body and muscles are used to the movement.
  • brittknight828
    Options
    I went for my 1st run in nearly 20 years on Friday (5k) and although I felt great (strength in my legs seemed fine it was the cold air on my chest that hurt) straight after the run the next morning I was really sore (just thighs) & Sunday I was even worse. It's tailed off quickly today (Monday) but I still don't think I should go for another run just yet.

My question(s) therefore are...

You didn't train for a 5k? That's why you're so sore. Your body isn't used to you running so much. I just started running this year, and train before each 5k even though I regularly run. I don't get sore after running. I also do some strength training, and get sore (the good kind) from it. If I'm sore from that, I will still run the next day but maybe go a little easier on myself. If you are really in pain, ice your muscles and drink plenty of water. I wouldn't recommend running if it hurts you to do so. Your body needs to heal.

Definitely stretch & warm-up both before and after you run. Pace yourself and follow a 5k running schedule when you start running again.
  • j9ster
    j9ster Posts: 3
    Options
    I had this problem when I started running but I was following a pod cast programme that required running x3 a week so didn't get a choice. Could barely move after the second run but by the end of week 2 the soreness had almost gone entirely. Make sure you stretch out BEFORE and AFTERWARDS as this will help. It is simply the muscles reacting to exercise, the more you do the less you will ache
  • DennyHodge
    DennyHodge Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Sore is fine if it isn't injury related. If you feel you need to run again this soon, try a slower recovery run. Running 3.1 miles after 20 years was way too much mileage to start with, and on top of that, most people run too fast regardless of the distance. Running has a cumulative effect on the body so it's important to slowly build up your mileage and/or speed.
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I switched from running on the treadmill to running outside 2 weeks ago... and the first 2 weeks were AWFUL for soreness. I waddled home, could barely lift my legs. But it would always be better by the time I went for my next run... and then be AWFUL again. Onto my third week now and the soreness is much better. Still feeling it, but I am stretching a lot and that makes it better. It will go away once you get used to the running, don't rush!
  • welshreduk
    Options
    some great replies thanks, someone mentioned me not training for the 5k. I need to point out it was not a 5k race just my 1st run lear my home, I just mapped out a 5k route near my home using Nike+ running on my iphone 5 by cycling it then ran it next day.

I like to do the same thing over and over so I can compare progress which is why I decided 5k would be a good distance.

I was running 1 mile splits of 10m 30s (which seems ok for an overweight 36yo on his 1st run) so each time I go out (at least in the 1st few months) I want to see that pace come down and running the same distance each time seemed like a good idea even if the 1st few hurt like hell.

I must admit I always thought that if your sore it meant your muscles had micro-tears and are healing so you should not train again until they fully recover (so they are bigger and stronger than last time), I read that if you train when sore you are doing more harm than good as the muscle has not fully recovered and strengthened.

I feel ok today just a very slight tenderness so will probably do another one today and see if there is any improvement.