Brown Rice vs White Rice

Options
Am I the only one who just can't get used to Brown Rice?

Replies

• Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    Hm didnt bother me. Have you tried wild rice? Sometimes that works for ppl who cannot stand brown and is essentially the same thing.
  • Blondie251975
    Blondie251975 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Defnitely a different flavor. I found that after several tries of rice I didn't like, I found Trader Joe's Basmati quick cook brown rice is great. Another alternative maybe quinoa. I love it!!! (The rest of my family doesn't however ;(
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    <-- me! i dont like it at all
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Put plenty of flavor in your cooking liquid....tomato juice, stock...
  • DRJ311
    DRJ311 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Brown rice wasn't one of my favorites, either. I am a white rice lover all day (being Hispanic), BUT I have found ways to love it..
    I found cooking it with ORGANIC LOW SODIUM chicken broth instead of water, and add in some veggies. It really makes it look and taste like chinese rice. I add onions, minced garlic and sometimes fresh cilantro and it's actually really good.
  • meglet175
    meglet175 Posts: 98
    Options
    I mix half white and half brown and cook it in my electric steamer. I think the steamer turns out a much softer, fluffier rice - not as hard and chewy as brown rice simmered on the stovetop. My three teenage sons have not complained, so I'd call that a success.
  • Nike13
    Nike13 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't like brown rice either but I'm going to give it one more shot this week (mostly to use up the bag I bought).

I have used quinoa as a white rice alternative though and am enjoying that. Just have to finish my brown rice supply to justify getting more quinoa.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    I add Braggs low sodium soy sauce to brown rice, could not eat it without it.
  • Raeambi
    Raeambi Posts: 13
    Options
    I prefer brown rice than white rice.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    When I first made the switch to brown rice I did it slowly.

If i were normally to have 1 cup of rice, i would do 3/4 white and 1/4 brown rice. I than slowly decreased the white rice and increased the brown rice.

I still have white rice from time to time but switching it out slowly made it easier to adjust to the taste change.

Also, try adding something like vegetable broth/chicken broth/beef broth in place of water when you cook it. It gives it much more flavour. I love brown rice mixed with Sweet Baby Rays buffalo sauce!
  • grlgemini
    grlgemini Posts: 42
    Options
    I did not like brown rice either, and I didn't want to add chicken broth. So, now I cook my brown rice and I put some siracha on it! YUMMY and spicy!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I hate brown rice. I like sticky white rice much better. But to be fair, I don't eat either one anymore.
  • theskinnydiaries17
    Options
    I'm not a fan of brown rice on its own but if I mix it with veggies and an egg white (healthy fried rice) or pile on a bunch of Sriracha sauce, it's actually pretty tasty.
  • MissPerfect2012
    MissPerfect2012 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I hate brown rice, usually will have basmati rice
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who just can't get used to Brown Rice?

It's doubtful that you are. Personally, I started eating rice much more often after trying brown rice because I liked it so much better than most white.

If you want to make the switch, maybe try mixing it with white. Maybe a 25% brown to 75% white, and gradually increase the amount of brown.
    1223345 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I love brown rice, my husband hates it. But I do love white rice too. Jasmine is a favorite here.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I mix half white and half brown and cook it in my electric steamer. I think the steamer turns out a much softer, fluffier rice - not as hard and chewy as brown rice simmered on the stovetop. My three teenage sons have not complained, so I'd call that a success.

We do this. My wife says brown rice is too hard by itself.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I love basmati rice, it is just different taste altogether. I am also eating a lot of black rice, similar to brown but a lot more nutrients.
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat too much rice, period. However, brown rice is a no-go for me specifically because of the fiber. Makes my IBS angry. :frown: